First cook post in a while

Learning to BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Haven't posted a cook in quite a while (or even posted anything). Haven't been hanging around as much, but have been checking in now and then. Life and habits change. So here's whats going on in our house today.

Fired up the drum today for the first time in a long time. +3C and full sunshine (sunshine for maybe the third time this winter). Had a shoulder half that we wanted to do pulled pork with. Threw on a fatty rolled in brown sugar, pan of homemade baked beans on the lower rack.

gj7T29u.jpg

We rarely see butts here. They are cut into blade chops, or pork steaks which I think you folks call them. We get the picnics, with the straight bone. All done.

oZ70hSg.jpg

On the other cooker front, my old Masterbuild kettle fell apart a year or so ago. The ash catcher rotted off the bottom so went looking around in fall for clearance deals. First time out, on a whim and a prayer, went to home despot, which I've never known to have good clearance deals. But this is what i found.

PP8Dgmt.jpg

Now I got a genuine original Weber kettle. I know, not a big thing for most of you farkers with cookers that are worth more than my car. But cool for me. Here she is. The old Masterbuilt ash catcher sitting underneath because I was a little freaked out at the open ash pan (I've since gotten over that).

XxUNKaA.jpg

All's good here. Still cooking outdoors. Will try to post more. Cheers!

Last edited:
Dont feel bad, Butts have goten so expensive here in PA i rarely see them in grocery stores, and when i do they are $2.99/lb vs Picnics that are $0.99/lb. To put that in perspective, 10-15 years ago butts were around $0.50/lb.

Great deal on that Weber, I'm sure you will get plenty of good cooks off of that. Glad to see you haven't lost your touch.

Nice work George and a great score!

3 Celcius and you are outside on the Drum? No way dude. I'd be inside by the fire.

Respect!

Bill

Nice score on the Weber!

I have been thinking about getting one. Had one 30 years ago that the welded bases for the legs failed and it was done.

The food looks yummy and great deal on the kettle!!! I know what you mean about the sun up there. I lived in Niagara Falls for five years in the 80s. As I recall, summer was usually about five days in August, a sunny day was almost confusing, and you could only throw a frisbee once and it landed somewhere in Massachusetts. It must take a hardy type to Q up there, lol.

The food looks yummy and great deal on the kettle!!! I know what you mean about the sun up there. I lived in Niagara Falls for five years in the 80s. As I recall, summer was usually about five days in August, a sunny day was almost confusing, and you could only throw a frisbee once and it landed somewhere in Massachusetts. It must take a hardy type to Q up there, lol.

Now that right there is funny! :laugh:

Back