I'm Still Running Like I Stole It! New Smoker

The other issue I've seen on some YouTube videos is that it looks borderline dangerous. On one video the chute on the top was glowing red and on another video it appeared as though it was a little windy and red hot embers were blowing all over the place. Certainly looked like something you'd want to put guard rails around if kids were around and cooking on a wood deck or fire prone surroundings doesn't seem like a viable option?

I don't typically sit and watch my smokers when in action. I wanted to take extra precaution with this one. Especially being the first time. I was surprised to see how little ash and embers did come out of the smoker. It might be a different situation with high winds. I was also on a concrete driveway. I watched my neighbors house burn down to the studs when I was a teenager from their grill being on the deck. So any grill or smoker on the deck is an absolutely no go here at my house.

Good deal on the smoker! Ribs look great! I've never heard of pie filling beans...

Glad it worked out...those craigslist deals can be nerve wracking when it's something you're really interested in... And glad you didn't go swimming with the fishes! Loved your assessment of the deal hazards and giving the info to your wife..I've done the same thing before and she usually gives me "that look". I ususally have something besides a dog riding along though..just in case.

Good deal on the smoker! Ribs look great! I've never heard of pie filling beans...

Glad it worked out...those craigslist deals can be nerve wracking when it's something you're really interested in... And glad you didn't go swimming with the fishes! Loved your assessment of the deal hazards and giving the info to your wife..I've done the same thing before and she usually gives me "that look". I ususally have something besides a dog riding along though..just in case.

I smell what you're cooking. That was also considered as I have something else besides a dog that I can legally bring with. Except with all rioters and looting going on in Minneapolis at the time. I didn't want to put myself in that position with people walking on egg shells or bat sheet crazy from the start.

I smell what you're cooking. That was also considered as I have something else besides a dog that I can legally bring with. Except with all rioters and looting going on in Minneapolis at the time. I didn't want to put myself in that position with people walking on egg shells or bat sheet crazy from the start.

I smell what you're cooking ad well....but for those exact reasons I'd have brought along even more of my compadre's amigos.....

Unreal! Congrats. I'd have been 50% sure I wasn't returning from that exchange.

Yeah it was pretty sketch starting out. There is some rough parts of North Minneapolis. I felt a little more comfortable when I noticed the other bigger smoker in the same picture of the Karubecue. I knew the picture most likely wasn't pulled and copied from somewhere online. It wasn't just one random stock photo of the Karubecue.

I also let him know I wouldn't have cash on me when looking over the smoker and that I would go pull cash from an ATM or bank afterwards. That didn't bother him any.

The Karubecue is an odd item to sell and try to rob someone with. I told him I'd have no cash on me. I noticed the other smoker in the Karubecue picture. I had an address and phone number. Plus the fact that he was messaging me after telling him I'd have no cash made me felt a little more comfortable. These things above gave me a little reasoning the ad could be real. I'd be completely lying saying if felt 100% comfortable with going and picking it up.

When pulling up I saw the Karubecue sitting at the front of the garage when pulling up to his house. So I didn't need to walk through any building, house, or garage. So it was an easy pick up. I never once had to turn my back to anyone and I tried to be visually aware the best I could. I ended up chatting with the seller for a good few minutes about bbq and such. Great guy. I did text my wife . and say, "I'm not dead and I have the smoker in the back of my truck" when leaving.

Yeah it was pretty sketch starting out. There is some rough parts of North Minneapolis. I felt a little more comfortable when I noticed the other bigger smoker in the same picture of the Karubecue. I knew the picture most likely wasn't pulled and copied from somewhere online. It wasn't just one random stock photo of the Karubecue.

I also let him know I wouldn't have cash on me when looking over the smoker and that I would go pull cash from an ATM or bank afterwards. That didn't bother him any.

The Karubecue is an odd item to sell and try to rob someone with. I told him I'd have no cash on me. I noticed the other smoker in the Karubecue picture. I had an address and phone number. Plus the fact that he was messaging me after telling him I'd have no cash made me felt a little more comfortable. These things above gave me a little reasoning the ad could be real. I'd be completely lying saying if felt 100% comfortable with going and picking it up.

When pulling up I saw the Karubecue sitting at the front of the garage when pulling up to his house. So I didn't need to walk through any building, house, or garage. So it was an easy pick up. I never once had to turn my back to anyone and I tried to be visually aware the best I could. I ended up chatting with the seller for a good few minutes about bbq and such. Great guy. I did text my wife . and say, "I'm not dead and I have the smoker in the back of my truck" when leaving.

Off original topic but I had to share: I recently went against better judgment on a wood purchase through craiglist. The wood was located in a more rural area, deep down the dirt roads, and when I arrived there was a guy waiting in his truck who said to follow him back."Back" meant down a trail through an open field for a quarter mile to the first pile of red oak. Ok, no neighbors anywhere just me and this guy. So I start loading some red and trying to chit chat and he says "I've got cherry and white oak down a ways further." Further. Great. Just great. :mmph:
Against better judgment (but with concealed carry, I'm no complete dummy) I follow him further down this trail but now we're heading into the forest. And we come to this old abandoned house in the forest, making it all the more reasonable to assume I'm in an episode of forensic files. Anyway this was as crazy as anything I've experienced but the guy turned out to be really cool and I got a truckload of great splits. When I think about it, it's not that crazy to have to go to the forest for wood....:p Wife probably won't want me doing that again!

Back