I'm Still Running Like I Stole It! New Smoker

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
A week or two ago, I was outside digging up my yard to extend rock around my shed and put in edging. After digging for awhile I needed a short break for some water. During my water break I pulled out my phone. After checking my email, I did the daily smoker check on Craigslist. Absolutely no intentions of purchasing a smoker but fun to see what's available. It's usually a whole lot of nothing being here in MN. Most "BBQ" grills are Weber and Brinkmann gassers. It's usually a quick search and doesn't take more than 30 seconds. That's until I came across......

I must have been excited about my find as my wife stopped down by the shed and said, "What are you so happy about?" I said, "I'm buying a smoker.. if the ad isn't fake." She says, "What do you mean if the ad isn't fake?" I say, "The smoker is located in North Minneapolis for a price that is suspect. So I'll either get a smoking deal or stabbed and robbed."

Here's a screen shot of the ad I came across.

Screenshot-2020-06-12-14-39-32-1.png

I'm not even sure the email I sent was in English let alone made much sense. The ad was posted 3 hours prior of me sending the email. So I sent the email as fast as I could write it. I received a response an hour or so later from the seller saying he works until 4 and I could stop over afterwards. The next 3 or 4 hours may have been one of the longest of my life. I already had it set in my mind that the seller was going to email me back saying he received offers of $750/$1000+ for it by the time he was done with work and by the time it took for me to get up to North Minneapolis. I received a follow up email from the seller an hour later saying he was going to get off work at 3 now and that he's a "real seller". Wait...what does that mean? He's a "real seller". Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get stabbed and robbed of my $250 now. I was probably over thinking it but that seemed kind of a weird thing to say. I did some rational thinking and realized Karubecue would be a really strange item to list and rob someone with. Most people don't know what a Karubecue is and that person wanting to rob someone would have to wait for someone to email them on it and it could be hours or days before that happened. It seemed unlikely but I still wanted to be cautious. Especially being in North Minneapolis. I told the seller that I wouldn't have cash on me and that I'd go and take out cash after looking over the smoker. 3:00 goes by and I don't hear anything. 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00. I wasn't feeling very good at this point as I didn't hear anything from the seller after getting off work. I also had to play a fine line of not sounding desperate and purchasing it before he gets other offers on it. So I sent an email at 4:05 and causally mentioned if he was still interested in meeting up. The seller said he was home and gave me his address. I made sure my wife had the sellers address and phone number so that if they found me in the river it might help a little. =) The dog also came with.

It turns out the seller is a retired bbq caterer. Far from any mobster from the mafia. ;) A real nice guy. I asked him why he was selling it. He said, "To be honest, I purchased it as a write off and it's too much like an oven." Ha! I'll take the gamble.

The smoker itself is in nice shape. He said he hardly used it. I took this past week to clean it up. I have used a gallon plus of white vinegar cleaning everything up.

I carefully cleaned the controller as it is recommended every 100 hours.

20200620-104328-1.jpg

The inside and racks are all cleaned up.

20200625-103403-1.jpg

A couple outside shots of the smoker.

20200625-103510-1.jpg

20200625-103339-1.jpg

I fired it up yesterday and did a couple racks of St. Louis ribs with some apple pie filing beans.

20200625-194550.jpg

20200625-194754.jpg

20200625-200226.jpg

This little smoker is impressive to say the least. It was one of the most moist ribs I've had come off any of my smokers. The smoke profile isn't quite the same as off the reverse Shirley but no real complaints whatsoever. I'm really going to enjoy this little compact smoker!

Couldn't see the pix although I found the ad on Craigs.

Congrats! I've been very interested on those smokers since I've first read about them.

BTW, he had another smoker listed in the ad, did he still have that?

I'm too far away to be interested, although it seemed to be an all stainless off set.

That offset is a screaming deal for $800. I'd imagine that smoker is $3,000+ all day long new. I didn't see the smoker in person but it looks like the steel is wrapped with stainless.

It's a steal of a deal for someone looking for an offset!

That is a nice find. It cleaned up to look almost new. Congrats and it looks like the perfect size for a quick cook when you don't want to tend the Shirley for hours.

Great find! Looks brand new and I need to clean up my controller this weekend :icon_blush:

I also got mine on CL from a restaurant type guy who said he only used it 10 times - I thought I pretty good deal for $875 so you definitely stole it! :clap:

Hey WeberWho

I'm on my personal computer and now can see your images.

Those ribs look fantastic!

You mentioned a lighter smoke profile in comparison to an offset Shirley

How was the controller set on the KBQ? Its my understanding that the smoke profile can be dialed in to your preference.

What other smokers have you cooked on and what are your thoughts in comparison?

Congrats again!

Thanks!

Good deal. I was hoping I posted pictures correctly as it was my first attempt here on the forum.

I'm far from an expert. Especially being my first time using the Karubecue. I had the vent adjustments almost fully open throughout the whole cook trying to get as much smoke as possible. I did notice it on the beans more than I did the ribs. So I was getting smoke. I was just hoping for a little more. I've wanted to use hickory for some time now. Even with my other smokers. Just so I could see what the difference is with a more pronounced smoke profile.

I've had Big Green Eggs, Weber Smokey Mountain, The Good One Open Range, Big Steel Keg, Shirley reverse flow, and currently working on restoring an older 1/4" Brinkman Cimmaron but I haven't cooked on it yet. Majority of these smokers are all the same besides the Shirley. They are all used at lower temperatures where your wood smolders and gets that heavier dirty smoke. That's not necessarily the smoke I'm looking for. I'm wanting that high temperature clean smoke that an offset smoker gives you. Just enough where you get that light notice of smoke but nothing that's going to mask the flavor of the meat. I noticed it on Karubecue but I was hoping for a little bit more. Something I've been able to get with the Shirley.

Don't take any of this as a selling point if you should or shouldn't buy one. This was my first time using it. So my advice should mean very little to none. I enjoyed the heck out of it while playing with it yesterday! I can't wait to fire it back up for another cook!

I have one. The biggest issue is that you have to babysit it as in add wood about every 20-30 minutes. I find that using wood that is too dry does not produce good smoke flavors but rather a chemical taste to me. I purchased a moisture meter for wood and find that wood with 25% or more moisture produces the best flavor. I run the both vents wide open.

Last edited:
I have one. The biggest issue is that you have to babysit it as in add wood about every 20-30 minutes. I find that using wood that is to dry does not produce good smoke flavors but rather a chemical taste to me. I purchased a moisture meter for wood and find that wood with 25% or more moisture produces the best flavor. I run the both vents wide open.

The other issue I've seen on some YouTube videos is that it looks borderline dangerous. On one video the chute on the top was glowing red and on another video it appeared as though it was a little windy and red hot embers were blowing all over the place. Certainly looked like something you'd want to put guard rails around if kids were around and cooking on a wood deck or fire prone surroundings doesn't seem like a viable option?

Thanks. I also read that somewhere about needing higher moisture.

The white oak I used was split less than a month ago. I'd imagine the moisture is 25% or more. I thought it might be too green yet to use.

A moisture tester would be a good pick up either way though.

Back