I know where to get brisket where to get thighs

bam

is Blowin Smoke!
From thread on comp briskets I have a few choices for the other three meats. A call in chicken pays the same as brisket. Where do you get your chicken?

Im far from a chicken master but I do know the difference between briskets and there is no chance in hell the gap is that wide

Grocery store. Chicken is a pretty consistent product, your only real choices are conventionally (water bath) processed or air chilled. Oh, and free range/organic or not.

Sam's is good because the skin is not trimmed leaving more for you to work with.

You havent seen the chicken I noticed at a Sams' today then. I swear they must have used a hacksaw to trim every single package. Ended up going to Walmart to get chicken for my practice run. I even had them pull out another case and it was just horrible.

Costco: they come in large packs so you have plenty to pick from and you don't need to buy 10 different packs from the grocery store.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: bam
Winco, which is basically Foster farms relabeled. They seem to have the largest thighs, with plenty of spare skin to work with, and a decent amount of fat.(we have a Fosters farms plant right in town, so I know this are extremely fresh)

• Thanks
I buy wherever I can find some air chilled chicken, but hey what do I know, because I don't worry about having a lot of skin to play/work with.:confused:

• Thanks
Almost anyplace...just try to buy something where you know what the solution content is. Lower is better, avoid anything over 5%. They don't always label it though.

Also: avoid Purdue. Great in your oven, but yellow chicken not rockin' the BBQ world.

• Thanks
I've always just used the golden plump brand from the grocery store. no clue what these are classified as. anyone know?

• Thanks
I've had good luck with D'Artagnan (you gotta call to special order), whole foods, and wegmans. All of the above are air chilled.

• Thanks
I went to my local grocery store. Told the meat man how big I wanted them and I need 8 that size. They go through dozens and can pick them out and package them.

• Thanks
Back