Brisket Wrap Question

MustGoFast

Knows what a fatty is.
So I have a dumb question, wanted to try wrapping my brisket today but I'm not sure how to get a good tight wrap when the brisket is wider than the paper? I over laid 2 sheets of 18" butcher paper to get the width but then it ends up loose where they come together.

So what's the secret here then? Every video either has much wider paper or much smaller briskets.

I believe there is a video of Franklin going over how to do it. Maybe use longer sheets of paper, the extra turn or two gives structure.

There are no stupid questions. Case in point

Man cooks his brisket to probe tender. Allows to rest on counter top 15 minutes then wraps in towel and Into cooler for holding. 3 hours later he is devastated. The brisket had stuck to the towel, the towel had absorbed all the juices and his brisket smelled like Tide

See? No stupid questions.

There are no stupid questions. Case in point

Man cooks his brisket to probe tender. Allows to rest on counter top 15 minutes then wraps in towel and Into cooler for holding. 3 hours later he is devastated. The brisket had stuck to the towel, the towel had absorbed all the juices and his brisket smelled like Tide

See? No stupid questions.

that anecdote reminds me of this meme. I constantly struggle with the standard of what common sense is

as for wrapping a brisket with small paper overlap the two pieces along the the long seam making a bit of a V. follow the normal wrapping technique, Franklin has a good demo on YouTube. I'm sure there are others

Yeah I will check out Franklin's seam technique. I just tried to do a 4" overlap and found that my wrap was "kinda crappy". Seemed to work fine enough in the end.

As you can see the brisket going in was like 23" long so my 18" wide paper was not enough. Still don't know what paper/briskets the videos I saw were, they either have 36" wide paper or like 12" wide brisket.

Attachments

• 20231007_125630.jpg
    20231007_125630.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 98
Up next gotta figure out my slicing game. The meat is coming out moist and yummy, but won't slice cleanly/nicely against the grain as the grain wants to just seperate.

I'm thinking I'm going too long....

Yeah I will check out Franklin's seam technique. I just tried to do a 4" overlap and found that my wrap was "kinda crappy". Seemed to work fine enough in the end.

As you can see the brisket going in was like 23" long so my 18" wide paper was not enough. Still don't know what paper/briskets the videos I saw were, they either have 36" wide paper or like 12" wide brisket.

the brisket goes long way with the paper.

I use 2 pieces of 18" paper that are overlapped about 2" or so. Spritzing lightly between the overlap helps hold the pieces together. In my opinion its important to get the wrap as tight as possible.

Checkout knox ave barbecue on YT. Joe has a video called Central Texas style brisket cook that has alot of detail on paper wrapping. He does a better job explaining it than i can typing.

Lay the meat at 45* to the paper and you'll be able to get a nice wrap, obviously two sheets needed. Good practice for wrapping Christmas gifts.

Great vid thanks... I do think his brisket was A LOT smaller than the one I cooked though just looking at it's length relative to his hand (about 2x) vs mine which was closer to 3x... but I think that technique is what i need to try.

Pretty sure after watching that, my briskets are over... I've been cooking to "temp" primarily and it appears I'm getting to tender hence my slicing issues.
Nicely not over to the point where I've lost moisture so they taste good, just not getting the slice/presentation I want. Clearly need to get practicing on those.

Depends...what are you wrapping in?

I used to use the Texas crutch back in the day and would wrap in foil.

With that, I had large pro kitchen sized rolls of foil (from Sam's or Costco)...I pull off two fairly long sheets of it and in the middle, I'd fold the two inner seams together a couple times and that would "lock" them together and then I'd roll and wrap my brisket pretty air tight.

With butcher paper that I"m now using, I don't go for "air tight"...I peel off a couple of long sheets of the red butcher paper I got at Costco..Im guessing 16-18" wide...and overlaps them on my wrapping table.

I pour a little tallow I"ve rendered out from the trimmings of my brisket on first, and put fat side down....I then wrap it, rolling the meat along, tucking in the edges as I go...and finish with fat cap up.<P>

Again, I'm not going for air tight here...the tall and other fat coming out of the meat as it continues to cook then rest, to me..."seals" the package enough for me.

With paper, as I understand it, the idea is to have it "breathe" a bit in there so as to help preserve bark.

Some one please correct me on that last part if I got it wrong....

HTH,

cayenne

Pretty sure after watching that, my briskets are over... I've been cooking to "temp" primarily and it appears I'm getting to tender hence my slicing issues.
Nicely not over to the point where I've lost moisture so they taste good, just not getting the slice/presentation I want. Clearly need to get practicing on those.

what are you slicing with? a proper slicer is important to getting a proper slice...that and a little technique

Back