I have painted myself into a brisket corner-please advise

Bail out of it now. The longer you wait, the more your friend is going to get pissed off. Without experience on a stick burner, IMO you are setting yourself up for failure.

If I were in your shoes I would tell your friend you're honored that he thinks enough of you to ask but after looking at the logistics it will be extremely difficult to pull off. He has to understand you don't have the capacity or experience to cook for 200 people. There is a lot more to it than just cooking the meat, hopefully you're taking those things into account too.

Wow...you are brave!! 13 briskets is certainly a feat!!

I think I am on the side of doing it ahead of time and re-heat the day off. I would reserve the juices to help it along and to make sure it doesn't get dry during the reheating phase. I have made brisket before and often I couldn't consume it in one sitting with the wife and kids. We reheated over several says but it was already quite juicy to begin with. I had injected it lots before cooking and it retained its juices. I also saved the juices from the Texas crutch step so all of that really helped it retain moisture and remain juicy even after a couple of days of reheating.

If I understood correctly, you have three UDS'es that you can use...is it possible to add a second shelf? It will double the capacity of each UDS. I know in theory 24" between coal basket and cooking grate but may be a compromise.....or may be if you can add a water pan too to the double cooking grate setup, it becomes like a WSM? If not....the meat hook idea sounds pretty interesting as well.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

No possible way I would take on a brisket cook like this with one, or three, UDS cookers. If I didn't have access to a large smoker I was familiar with, I would never take this gig. Too many chances for failure, and not one for success.

People do large cooks like this, with one or two UDS cookers and pull them off, but, they sure are not fun. Even if I was to do this with a pulled pork cook, I would want at least the ability to have a larger cooker to run with. It's a lot of work, on a busy weekend.

Tell your friends you're sorry, but you've got a previous engagement with your wife that wasn't on your calendar. Buy her some flowers and say you're sorry you forgot about the family coming into town.

Best possible answer.

Wife is always right.
Happy wife, happy life.
etc etc

You're in the big water, brother. It takes a while to learn how to use a new stick burner. You'll need at least 20 briskets for 200 people. How will you store them after they're cooked? How will you reheat, and serve them the evening of the event? What size stick burner will you need, and where will you find it? How many test-run cooks will you need to complete before you're ready to cook all of your briskets? What sides will you serve? How will prep, cook, and serve the sides?

The most important question is what kind of friend asks another friend to cook briskets for 200 strangers?

Run Forrest! Run!!!

Before all the nay-sayer talk you out of it, lets do the math. Anyway who doesn't like a challenge.

For 200 people at 4oz. servings is 50lb. cooked brisket. At 50% yield on a packer you will need around 7-8 whole packers(average 15-16lb). At a 6oz. serving you will need 10 briskets so on and so forth.

This is what i would do. I would tell your friend you can cook the 50lb (200-1/4 pound servings) but thats it. Tell him to go buy 200 hamburger buns and make sandwiches. I might also mention the fact that he could run out.... If he wants more than that tell him he might need to help.

then I would go tell your wife that you have all your friend and co-workers are begging you to make bbq for there family reunions, kids birthdays parties, wedding and whatever else people like to celebrate and convince her on a new smoker.

Yup, there will be all sorts of stick burners to rent on July 3rd.
NOT. You COULD make 3 more UDS', though.

The time involved in doing multiple cooks would be a turnoff for me. I work for money and cook BBQ for fun.

Another vote for pork or pass.

That many briskets -even on multiple UDS's- would be a beating of biblical proportions. If you pulled it off, you would be a hero- but dayum that's a hole I would not care to be in. Changing to a new style of cooker? To me, not even an option. If they want brisket or nuthin'- might want to go with nuthin'. good luck, sir.

Good Lord. This must be a very good friend to ask this of you. Or not.

This level of cooking is for a person very experienced with catering. I very much doubt you have the capacity to handle that much meat. Consider keeping it chilled till prep, then cooking (whole nother story). How will you hold it? How will you reheat it?

Down here you will need at least 1/2" pound per person or you will get run outa town. Less if you serve link with it.

Who is gonna handle all the sides, drinks ect?

If you have ever been to an event of this size you will notice they have a whole catering team handling it. Not backyard bbq bob. You MAY be able to pull it off if you are able to rent a LARGE stick burner. However that is a totally different cooking experience than a UDS. This will be VERY easy to fumble, and it will go south quickly if things go wrong. A expensive fumble at that. Then you will be ordering pizza for 200 people.

If you are having to ask, I feel you are getting in over your head. This is VERY deep water kind of cook. None of us are trying to step on your toes, just trying to save you from a expensive FUBAR kind of event.

I'm comfortable cooking for 20 people. 200? I wouldn't volunteer for that drunk outa my mind.

The time involved in doing multiple cooks would be a turnoff for me. I work for money and cook BBQ for fun.

Another vote for pork or pass.

I did 8 once and I have a cooker that can fit 12 that I'm very familiar with. The post above is dead on. Cooking is fun. Catering is not. Took hours just to trim them.

My suggestion is to beg off. I did 16 pork butts for a wedding last year and it is a pain. I was able to cook it all in two cooks (8 at a time). I had a commercial kitchen to store it and reheat it.

After you have it cooked you have to have somewhere to store it and then you need someplace where you can reheat it all at once on the 4th.

I think you have a recipe for disaster if you try cooking that much brisket without all the right tools.

In advance of the event and assuming you are going to do it, then "cheat" to get the job done. Here is how I handled a large cook (6, not 10 briskets though). Start as many briskets as possible in your smoker (3, for example). After about 4 hours (assuming low and slow), pull them, place them in large chafing pans,cover them, and put them in the oven at 225-250. The smoke is already in them and the balance is just getting them done.

Put the second group in the smoker while the first group finishes. Repeat as necessary.

As the briskets are done, let them cool as previously mentioned in another post. I then slice/chop them and then seal them in vacuum seal bags (Food Saver/Seal-A-Meal) with a little au jus at about 2lbs per bag. Straight into the fridge.

On party day, deliver the bags to your friend and inform him to have several large stock pots on hand and to get the water boiling early. Drop the bags in the boiling water, and 30 minutes later you have piping hot, fresh brisket. At home I have used the microwave and it takes about a minute and a 1/2 to 2 minutes per bag. Full-flavored, fork-tender brisket ready to go.

Good luck.

Why do I read all this and hear the theme from "Jaws" playing in my head? "swim for it!" "no- he'll get ett", "well - he might make it"

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Say "sorry honey, you were right. "

15 in 1-3 uds? How? Even cooking a day ahead you would be up for 2 days straight rotating. Your heart was in the right place but your smoker isn't. All brisket or can you do chicken ribs or burgers?

Good luck guy. I hope it turns out. And we want to see what happened.

Back