Gravity Smoker can’t decide.

I've got a Limo Jr., and mix briquette-sized hickory wood chunks in the chute (first picture below), with mini-splits in the ashpan (shown with small chunk to stand starters on) and get a good smoke flavor. Oak or milder woods not so much as the hickory. Haven't tried mesquite as the wife hates it.

You do have to pay attention and keep the mini-splits going as they burn up pretty quickly, about every 2 hours or so for me for the first 5-6 hours of a smoke.

For me personally, the ability to get a few hours sleep at a stretch with an overnight cook make the Limo Jr. and Fireboard controller combo unbeatable.

____

Attachments

• 20231013_165411.jpg
    20231013_165411.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231013_165420.jpg
    20231013_165420.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 42
Before getting my Shirley I was strongly considering the Lone Star Grillz mini IVC. Rather than gravity feeding the charcoal you just set the charcoal in the basket at the bottom and run a "snake maze" with small chunks of wood throughout. Easier than adding chunks every so often and seems clean up would be easier.

Humphrey's is another popular maker of IVC cookers.
Can’t you do that in the Shirley as well? Put a fire basket w wood chunks in it in snake pattern close firebox door and throw a guru on it?
I’m thinking the full combustion fire has the best flavor but I don’t want to tend a stick burner. If course a firebox in a Shirley the way I stated above would be a smoldering fire. Maybe the gravity w small chunks burning in the ash tray is best. Thoughts?

Can’t you do that in the Shirley as well? Put a fire basket w wood chunks in it in snake pattern close firebox door and throw a guru on it?
I’m thinking the full combustion fire has the best flavor but I don’t want to tend a stick burner. If course a firebox in a Shirley the way I stated above would be a smoldering fire. Maybe the gravity w small chunks burning in the ash tray is best. Thoughts?
I don't think the fire would be big/hot enough trying a snake maze in the Shirley to keep temps up. Although never tried running charcoal with small chunks?? Always used just small splits...I don't mind tending the fire.

Back