I have painted myself into a brisket corner-please advise

Cook ahead of time. You'd be surprised how easy it will be and will give you oodles of practice on the pits you are familiar with. Cook to tender and leave on counter to cool to 140. Wrap them up and refrigerate. Do not wrap them with the excess juices but do leave them in it while you cool and they will absorb some back in. I like to cool flat side down because of this. Reserve the juice so you can use them when you heat them back up.

I agree. If you separate the points from the flats before cooking it will allow you to leave the points on longer until they finish rendering out. Then you'll be able to slice them up too. Separating will also make handling and wrapping easier. Can reheat in the oven and slice them when its time to eat.

F&%$ IT! I say go for it!!! Get the other UDS's from your buddies and we'll cheer you on from here!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Lol you guys are cracking me up. While I know I am in over my head I just don't think I can back down from this challenge. One of my friends agreed to lend me his stick burner. I have cooked countless briskets so it's not like I'm trying something new. I'm just providing the meat and I have cooked for 200 people a couple times,but it was pork not brisket. as I mentioned before I work from home and so I could do several test runs. If I do this I will document it and it will either be a triumph for me or a cautionary tale. I will definitely get on here for all the "I told you so's."

I cooked for 150 once, not all brisket, all different items, over a 4 hour serving period, all on Weber kettles & I was falling asleep on the freeway on the way home......it's fun, challenging, etc.

BUT, it's also VERY hard work !!!!

Best of luck with your decision......

Wish you the best of luck. You have nine days to practice. I'd be loading the stick burner up a couple of times at least so you can get a time frame in mind of what you need.

Lol you guys are cracking me up. While I know I am in over my head I just don't think I can back down from this challenge. One of my friends agreed to lend me his stick burner. I have cooked countless briskets so it's not like I'm trying something new. I'm just providing the meat and I have cooked for 200 people a couple times,but it was pork not brisket. as I mentioned before I work from home and so I could do several test runs. If I do this I will document it and it will either be a triumph for me or a cautionary tale. I will definitely get on here for all the "I told you so's."

Assuming the stick burner will hold all that meat, when is your first practice cook? Or...are you gonna go balls to the wall and just wing it the day of the event? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I think you can do it.

You said you have 3 drums so you should be able to get 2 in each and cook 6 at a time. If you are doing hot and fast they'll finish up in around 6 hours. Then throw the next 6 on. so in 12-14 hours you'll have 12 briskets cooked.

Storage is another issue but I think you can get the cook done. May not be easy but you can do it.

lcbateman3-you just pushed me over the edge with your signature.(You only fail if you do not try.) I've got the wife on board too now, Houston we are a go.

knowing now that you are well versed in briskets I am sure you will do fine

I did not know this from your original post.

I'd say things are under control now that the heavy artillery is in place. Good luck and be sure to designate a photographer!

Problem number one solved.

Have you considered doing it by 1/4 lb portions on the briskets (thus reducing how many you have to cook by 25%) on the stick burner AND doing pork on the UDS to supplement? That way by diversifying with a product you can nail (the pork) you lessen the learning curve (of volume cooking on the briskets) and increase your odds of success.

Have you considered doing it by 1/4 lb portions on the briskets (thus reducing how many you have to cook by 25%) on the stick burner AND doing pork on the UDS to supplement? That way by diversifying with a product you can nail (the pork) you lessen the learning curve (of volume cooking on the briskets) and increase your odds of success.

Not a bad idea actually. What do you mean though by 1/4 lb portions? instead of 1/2 lb?

OK I am doing my first dry run today. This is my first stick burn and I am pumped. The smoker is a Lang. I am experimenting and will eventually figure this out but is the fire box door supposed to be open? It has four daisy wheels and the door won't shut quite right. It just seems like an awful lot of heat is getting lost out the door.

Back