I have a problem... (rant? long)

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
So this past weekend my wife decided that I needed an intervention. We finally got around to cleaning out the garage where she discovered my grill hoard. I take after my father and have a hard time passing up great deals (his was lawnmowers). I have notifications set for all the major classified sites in my area for words like "Weber" "Grill" "BBQ" "Smoker" etc. Which has lead to a stock pile of grills. Currently I have in the garage:

3.5 22" Kettles (all free)
2 Coleman Roadtrip XL (20$ each)
1 Aussie Mecca 2200 Tailgate (great little grill they don't make any more) (Free)
Weber Q200 (Free)
2 Burner Camp Chef (Free)
2 Weber Joe's (Free)
2 Anywhere grills (1 prop, 1 charcoal) (Free)
3 Coleman stoves ($10 total)
Weber Genesis 320 ($60)
22" WSM ($100)

This is not including the handful of free 22" Kettles that I have given out as gifts or left at events that I didn't expect to get it back. I've passed on a 36" blackstone because it was a little too pricey for the use it would get ($150) as well as a few 22" performers. So I do have some restraint.

Additionally there are the ones that currently reside on my back porch and get regular use. Those consist of an 18" WSM, 55 gal UDS, 3 burner Genesis Gold C (2001). Oh yeah a Ranch Kettle and 275 gal pig cooker/catering rig trailer.

As you can see most of them were free, if not well below their value. I have a hard time passing them up. And some like the 22" WSM and Genesis 320 I got to upgrade existing daily work grills. However, I love my Genesis Gold and UDS/18WSM so I haven't really found a need to break out the new ones.

Her family has season tickets to the Washington Redskins and we often tailgate at other events which is where the Coleman's come in handy. But a large portion of the grills just sit in the dark and make great spider houses. Part of me feels like I should clear house and start my collection over (obviously keep the good stuff). I'm starting to recognize some of the tendencies from the TV show Hoarders or American Pickers. The ones where people have great collections that never get seen, used and will eventually start to decay into worthless rust piles. I always have this emergency situation planned in my head. One where an assortment of grills saves the day.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm thinking I should pick a nice purchase I want to make (not sure what yet, maybe not even BBQ related) and sell off what it takes to get there. I just have a hard time letting the stuff go. I can't tell you the number of times I've talked to someone who just told me they bought a brand new shiny grill from Lowes/HD/ACE that I know will rust out in a year. If only I had known I could have hooked them up. People don't seem to understand that a used Weber (old style w/ side knobs) for $200 is a better value than a new shiny Char.... for $300.

Ok, rant over. Thought I'd just get that off my chest. I'll try to get pics up at some point. I can easily post my daily assortment, but the garage ones are pretty well hidden (or so I thought).

I usually have pity for the hoarder- they are usually pathetic and sad individuals.

you- you I like.

These are the ones I can quickly access. Will have to get in the garage later for the good stuff.

Attachments

• 20170717_182901.jpg
    20170717_182901.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 570
  • 20170717_182920.jpg
    20170717_182920.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 20170717_182925.jpg
    20170717_182925.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 569
  • 20170717_183010.jpg
    20170717_183010.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 570
  • 20170717_183031.jpg
    20170717_183031.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 571
You need to "Just say no" and let go! Yeah, like that's ever gonna happen to any of us here, right!?

You don't have a BBQer problem. You have too few chefs for the BBQers you have!

I have a SIL who says that every four years or so, a person needs to pretend they are moving across the country, and truly assess all their accumulated stuff. Anything that one wouldn't spend the time and money to pack and ship, should be set free.
This philosophy also forces one to peek inside all the boxes entombed in the attic.

My problem is that I store stuff instead of selling it, then it rots, rusts etc. so I get to throw it out for free,
Lately my lovely bride is heavily encouraging me to get rid of my "stuff", Her stuff is apparently off limits.... I've let her know that she is part of my "stuff"

A really good grill
A really good smoker
A really good portable
1 backup

That's my goal. I've got all the above- letting go by selling at a fair price, donating to charity or gifting to family and/or friends feels good.
You'll know when it's time.

I get it. I've developed a collection of guitars and guitar amplifiers over the years. It's not that I initially wanted to start a collection, but you know, things happen.

I say, "screw 'em."

Your grills, and nobody else's business.

I would not call them a "Hoard", I would call them a Family.
Eloquently written.
I WORKED on MY PROBLEM EARLIER - I LET GO
an older Summit nice grill I PAID $100 for, and bought
$40 in parts or so, but never got around to fixing it and selling it -

I GAVE IT AWAY FOR FREE to a Brethren!!

It was like going to confession.... I have way too many charcoal grills now.
Plus a rotisserie for a 22 I will never use again...

I truly understand as I have a stash of grills/smokers too. I counted the other day and I have 21 various ones, the majority of it Weber stuff. I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff but I have a hard time letting go as well.

Wayne

I see 1 mistake and 1 silver-lining...
Mistake was cleaning the garage with your wife, this should be done only with her not around...
Silver-lining is that by her being a redskins fan, she is inherently wrong by nature, and therefore you do not have a problem or need an intervention. Enjoy your toys!

We are planning on moving soon.Back to my childhood homestead.My wife has been going through things,trying to "unload" never used items to lessen the load we have to move,a mere 7 miles.My FIRST word of caution was,"Do NOT TOUCH MY STUFF!!!" It is MINE! I will be the decider of what moves or not! I remember the days when I could not afford "stuff". Those days may return.I am not parting with anything that will hold a fire.I had rather have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it.That may sound selfish but til you have been flat broke,you will not understand.When the economy crashed in '08 others bought gold.I bought a freezer,a generator,a canner,canning jars,cast iron cooking vessels,charcoal,pigs and cows and garden seed.

Some of you guys have got me thinking about investing in storage locker facilities...... :)

Those free ones you don't use, put them out at the curb. It only hurts for a short time.:roll:

Seems like an opportunity to share your passion for cookers and QUE. Give a cooker and your knowledge to friend(s) and acquaintance(s). You will be finding good homes for your cookers and introducing others to BBQ. You can still collect but instead of collecting for yourself collect for others.

Back