An Expensive Tube of Liquid Nails.......

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
I went in to Lowes today for a tube of Liquid Nails for a project I am working on. I went in the store with the intent to buy that tube of glue and that item only. Once again I failed my intent. I walked out of the store with $216.00 less than I went in with. The tube of adhesive was $9.00. The 22" Original Weber Kettle was 1/2 price at $70.00 and the 22" Original Kettle Premium was 1/2 price at $120.00. The odd 18 bucks was sales tax. Yes this turned out to be a high dollar tube of glue.

I already own 5 kettles and 3.5 WSMs. I don't need any more Webers. But it was too good of a bargain to pass up. (Why am I sounding like my ex explaining to me why she bought something I did not need?)

I have both of these grills sold already and I am not making a dime off either. I just could not pass up a good bargain. My son and neighbor are sure happy.

Justin, I got lucky several times on that deal. I was lucky that I saw the kettles at that price, lucky that I had the cash to spare and lucky to find the buyers who would take them. As I stated earlier, I have five used kettles so I did not need either of them. I knew folks who might want to replace theirs at that price. This deal worked out great for all three of us. My friend and my son both get a new kettle at half price and now they each owe me a favor.......

The kettle my son has been using is one of my old kettles that I will be getting back. Last year, I bought pre-2003 WSM for 25 bucks. The bullet was all there and I planned on using it for parts. My brother was given the lid and that is how I wound up with 3.5 bullets. I was going to use the rest for parts, but I saw something on this forum where somebody cut the bottom area of a kettle and inserted it into a the top of the base of the midsection of a WSM to use as a hanging grate ala UDS smoker. I got the idea from this post that Hinds15 posted back in October:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=999916

Just what I need, another project and another smoker..........

Jeremy, Every once in a while, this blind pig finds an acorn. I was lucky to have the cash on me when I saw the deal. I got lucky three times with my bullet purchases. The first two were fall close outs that I got at half price. Another one was the one I found on CL for $25.00.

Good for you Juggy. Once you get your money back, then the original trip will be complete and not as expensive. Great deals like that don't come around often, so you were just in the right place at the right time.

Larry, I have had a 40 year affair with Weber Kettles. I received my first kettle back in 1983 as a wedding present. I still have some of the parts from that kettle, but no longer have the base and the lid. I no longer have the wife associated with that wedding present either.......

These two kettles I bought this week were the first two new kettles I have bought since purchasing one for my then ten year-old son for a Christmas present almost twenty years ago. All the others I have owned were either picked out of the trash or from the curb, purchased at yard/garage sales, Craigslist or given to me. I guess you could say I rescue and recycle old Webers.

One thing I tell someone who inquires about buying a Weber Kettle is to go check the local garage and yard sales as they are a cheap source for grills. I have two old kettles I paid less than ten dollars for. By trying out an old one first to see if you like cooking on it or not, you can then decide whether a new kettle is something you want to spend money on. If you then buy a new one, you can always use the old one as a source for parts. The cooking and charcoal grates when purchased new will be more lot more expensive than the used kettle you bought.

I usually use two cooking grates when I cook on my kettle when I am using the indirect method. I will take the second grate and turn it upside down and place it on top of the first cooking grate. The handles of the bottom grate with be at 12:00 and 6:00 with the handles of the upside second grate being placed at 3:00 and 9:00. This allows you to double your cooking space for items such as hamburgers, sausage, chicken, bacon and other small meats.

Yes you can accuse me of being a fan of the Weber Kettle. Back in my college days, in my Consumer Safety class, were required to do a report on the history and proper usage of a consumer product. I chose the kettle. I had to write a ten page term paper and give a demonstration of how to properly operate the product of my report. I also had to give a presentation to the class on my chosen product. I brought my new kettle into class and showed the class how to use the cooker. Of course it was not fired up. I did bring in some ribs and bacon that I had cooked on the kettle for the class to sample. That report was worth half our grade for the class. It was the only time in my college career that I received a perfect score on a term paper with a class presentation.

I can brag about my college career. When I graduated, the administration told me I was the first person in the history of the school to graduate in three terms! Those terms being Clinton's, Bush's and Obama's..................

Last edited:
I picked up a nice blue Weber Genesis gas grill for the deck from Lowe's a month or so back....regular price $1199 marked down to $519 or something like that. They had it sitting by the exit door and I'd already walked past it when I caught the yellow clearance tag out of my peripheral....rewind.

I'd been kicking the idea around for a while to get some quick dinners in and couldn't resist at that price. Figured if it turns out I dont really care for it I'm probably not going to lose money on the ordeal.

Back