Recommend a gasser for $1000

I have been happy with the Weber gas grill I bought 12 or more years ago. It is still in great shape and spends 100% of its time outside (covered with a regular grill cover), even in the snow. The only thing I have replaced in all of these years are the burners and the “flavor bars,” and that wasn’t overly expensive. There are definitely things the family prefers on the gas grill over the smoker. The ease of use and short cook times make it very nice to have. In a perfect world, I would have a Blackstone and a charcoal grill as well.

In 1990 i bought a Broilmaster P3 Gasser. Their catchphrase is "buy your last grill today". They were right.

34 years later, That grill is still in my yard working fine. I had to rebuild the shelves a couple of years ago as the wood ones got pretty beat up.

Looks a lot like my Sunbeam gasser. Cast aluminum body, originally with redwood shelves. Painted a couple times, new H-burner every 10 years or so. Porcelain grates replaced with stainless 5 years ago. Circa 1990 and still going strong...

14293629040_5c6fd84aaf_c.jpg
[/url]Sunbeam Grill by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks a lot like my Sunbeam gasser. Cast aluminum body, originally with redwood shelves. Painted a couple times, new H-burner every 10 years or so. Porcelain grates replaced with stainless 5 years ago. Circa 1990 and still going strong...

14293629040_5c6fd84aaf_c.jpg
[/url]Sunbeam Grill by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

Oh WOW..... I had one of those and it was indeed a workhorse. I actually tried to convert it to a smoker set up with an exhaust stack (rain damper too) and a wood chip box. As time wore on it became more of a hassle to repair - especially those "briquettes" you laid in the bottom.

I ended up tossing the clam shell and redoing all the wood work. Then mounted my turkey fryer on it with push button ignition and made a gas cooktop. I still have that for various outdoor cooking purposes. I'll hunt around for some pics and post.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.... :thumb:

Another vote for the Grilla Grills Primate. I'm currently overseas for work for the year, but once I get back that will be my first purchase of 2025.

Oh WOW..... I had one of those and it was indeed a workhorse. I actually tried to convert it to a smoker set up with an exhaust stack (rain damper too) and a wood chip box. As time wore on it became more of a hassle to repair - especially those "briquettes" you laid in the bottom.

I ended up tossing the clam shell and redoing all the wood work. Then mounted my turkey fryer on it with push button ignition and made a gas cooktop. I still have that for various outdoor cooking purposes. I'll hunt around for some pics and post.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.... :thumb:

I'm still using lava rocks. I think I'll treat it to some ceramic briquettes this year. Two burners, it'll do "indirect" if I want. And does it get hot? Oh, yeah.

I'm still using lava rocks. I think I'll treat it to some ceramic briquettes this year. Two burners, it'll do "indirect" if I want. And does it get hot? Oh, yeah.

Found it.... some EMT tubing and a coupling. I could detach the stack and insert a plug. Tossed in a thermometer thinking I was smoker king back then. How little did I know.

Next up (when I can) will be the reincarnation of that same grill. Enjoy.

Sorry about the thread jack guys & gals..... :oops:

SMOKESTK02.jpg

Like Broil King, Broilmaster, Sunbeam, and others, mine has a cast Aluminum body. It's a 30+ YO Falcon Mark V and has been out of production for years yet I can still get most parts for it.

The burner has been replaced a few times. I go back and forth between stamped SS and Cast Iron. Can't make up my mind. I've now got Grill Grates sitting on top of the old PCI grates that are in bad shape again for the second time. IME the Grill Grates are better than the PCI and the coating doesn't eventually flake off.

I never did like lava rocks or ceramic briqs and kept going back and forth between them until a few years ago when I found CharBroil Heat Plates at Home Depot.
I burned up one set and went looking for another but Home Depot quick carrying them. Finally found them at Menards. They are similar to a generic Weber vaporizer bar and I like them far better than either the rocks or briqs. The grill heats more evenly, hotter, and faster with them. My grill is the right size for two of them to fit well. I have them sitting on top of the old rock/briq grate.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...e/7884545/p-1444446257159-c-1461078035989.htm

Back