THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of curiosity... what is the general rule of thumb for the amount of time it takes to smoke a turkey?
I'd say a good general rule would be 12-15 minutes per pound based on 350*

Now spatching and higher heat cut time way way down. I never keep track very much but my turkeys have been in the 15-20 lb range and finish in 2 1/2 hour range so it's been under 10 minutes per pound.

Going to fry up 3 this year, after they are injected ad sit for 24 hours!:clap2:

522379_4783089015042_895458929_n.jpg

1479498_10202249225811973_1774398394_n.jpg

993748_10202249559540316_1874259536_n.jpg

Lots of folks swear that the oil less fryer is just as good as deep fried. I wish I could try one sometime. If by my taste buds it was in fact as good I'd go right out and get a Big Easy.

I've done hundreds in peanut oil over the years and I would put The Big Easy bird against any. Works great with chicken too.

I've done hundreds in peanut oil over the years and I would put The Big Easy bird against any. Works great with chicken too.

I have one of the 3 in one Big Easys and use for chickens, it is pretty amazing!

Spatchcocked in my UDS with some pecan smoke. I guess it's indirect with a pan, loaded with some aromatics, to catch drippings and make gravy. I also make some green chile sauce with Hatch peppers to use in place of gravy.

Cooking a turkey breast or two on the Assassin, and doing a whole bird in the oven. My wife insists on stuffing it.

Dry brine (no fridge space, making bacon too). Haven't decided if I want to inject with clarified butter in the breasts OR if I can make bone marrow butter and slather that on. Takes on a faux foie flavor or beefiness.

Smoke in a Broil King Keg 325+. If I'm happy with the skin, that's it. If i'm not happy with the skin, I will ladle hot oil over it from my wok. yeahhhhhh

Just ordered the Big Easy which should be here Tuesday. Always deep fried but want to try TBE this year. Hate messin with the oil.

Dry brine + meatchurch Deez Nuts on the LSG. Gonna do 4 15-18 pounders for the various family meals.

Liking a lot of other ideas here though...

Well my plans have changed like 3 times now for my 3 birds. Now it's fillet, and hanging on hooks over lump and apple chunks til about 120 IT then grilling over a stick fire skin side down...I really like that grilled crispy skin

One roasted and stuffed (my wife insists), and two in the smoker. I think I may add some andouille to one and go cajun with it

I have been smoking them for a few years and love the results.. This will be my first try in a UDS. Dry Brined and smoked with apple or pecan chunks. Still deciding if I want to add a heat defuser or just go with it as is.

Back