The Science Behind Why Frequently Flipping Your Steaks Makes Them Better AND Tastier! You’ll Never Cook Steaks the Way You Used to After You Try This!

0wefhv5.jpg

:mrgreen:

Patience.jpg

OK, After the weather totally F'd with me, I got the flippity Flip cook in.

I gotta say it was a great steak. Both MSD and I enjoyed it alot. Snappers clicking in the right had and beverage in the left worked out great.

With hot coals and flame kissing, I think this method is a keeper!

OK, After the weather totally F'd with me, I got the flippity Flip cook in.

I gotta say it was a great steak. Both MSD and I enjoyed it alot. Snappers clicking in the right had and beverage in the left worked out great.

With hot coals and flame kissing, I think this method is a keeper!

Glad to hear you liked it! No photos?

I've been grilling, not smoking, for 45 years. It is my opinion, that constantly flipping is absolutely not a good thing to do when cooking meat. A flip here and there is fine, but this idea that constantly flipping meat over and over and over and over again is somehow going to make the meat taste better is total BS.

Even after 45 years it's not too late to improve your game.

At this point, I would like to clarify my position on the subject at hand, as I don't believe this technique would be the preferred method under every circumstance, and, I've alluded to this here and in the other flipping threads.

Also, as it relates to my participation in this and similar threads on the subject, it was a lighthearted attempt at trying something different, to see how it turned out. SirPorkaLot, while he appears to be on the other side of the debate, has been a good sport along the way and neither of us take this SO seriously that we can't engage in a little self effacing humor about the while thing. That's one of the many great things about this forum - the humorous poking fun at ourselves and each other in jest. :caked:So there's that.

As to the actual parameters of my "flipping experiment" here are the conditions under which it took place:

1. I used 3/4 inch thick ribeye steaks, all of which were very well marbled, with large cap sections.

2. I cooked the meat direct, uncovered the whole time, over a VERY hot fire, using KB briquettes, with coals approximately 2-3 inches or so away from the grate.

3. The meat was abundantly seasoned with 3 different blends.

4. I did NOT click my tongs once during the cooking process.

I am quite certain the outcome would have been different, both in texture and flavor if my fire had not been as hot, had only flipped the meat twice, or if I covered the grill at any point, or even perhaps if I had just used S&P only on the meat, or even a different cut of meat, though the jury is out on that.

What I DO know at this point, is using this method created what I call a "crusty, smoky, juicy steak", and I for one, as well as those I've cooked them for really like the idea of eating more crusty, smoky, juicy steaks in the future!

Back