THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I were only frying one or two I would have already gotten a Big Easy. I have an 8-1/2 gallon R & V Works fryer that I can fry 3 turkeys at a time. I routinely fry 8-10 turkeys during T'day and Christmas. I buy my oil from a restaurant supply for $17 per 5 gallons. Then after the fry I filter the oil and reuse it for a year. It's not that big of a deal for me to fry really. I just like to cook many different ways so one day I'll get a BE.

Wow! Yeah if that's the case keep frying. But if you do get a BE someday you'll like it.

2nd year at my work where we feed about 100 in the department. Turned in to a smoked turkey competition where 4 of us cook a few turkey each some pork butts and this year a guy is bringing a brisket. I spatchcocked two 14lb turkeys injected with some garlic butter seasoning and rubbed with olive oil then SPG on the outside. Put them on around 6:30p and up to about 130 in the breast cooking at 255-275.

Going to be a feast tomorrow!

I am doing a large turkey in the Char-Broil Big Easy injected with cajun butter and dusted with OakRidge Game Bird and Chicken Rub, I will also smoke a turkey breast, and deep fry another.

The main turkey was always smoked and a smaller one was deep fried, until last year when I tried the Big Easy. It was such a resounding success that even the carcass was picked clean.

Last year I was inspired by Toast to do the Big Easy cook, and it was by far a great success.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3098916&postcount=1

No turkey. Problem is that at least three of those who come over are allergic to all poultry, one so bad that she can end up in the emergency room.

So the choice is turkey by ourselves or good friends and no turkey. I like turkey well enough, but not enough to cut out our friends.

Last year, we did prime rib. Not sure what we'll have this year until Next week, when I go shopping for the main course.

Im gonna bust out the "turkey toaster" (big easy).

My brother just bought a house and wants to host thanksgiving instead of the parents. I really hope he asks me to cook the bird so i dont have to deebo it from him. Its not that i want to to it, but my family members have a habit of overcooking meat.

Sounds weird to say on the BBQ site, but I really want to fry one. I've had turkey fryers for years, and done about everything except a turkey. :roll:

We always travel for Thanksgiving, so it never works out. I always say I'll buy a bird cheap afterwards but I never have

Big Easy but this time brine & inject & pull when about 155 & tent & hope it comes up ti 165 ...

In my experience you have to probe pretty deep. Last time I did a turkey I held it up and let a friend probe for temp. He found 165 but then we found uncooked meat when we cut it open...
I think carryover cooking is best for non poultry...

We always split Thanksgiving between SWMBO's family and my family. Hers for lunch, mine for dinner. Her family usually buys a ham and my mom is pretty insistent that she gets to make a traditional bird in the oven.

I'll probably end up frying a small one the day before Thanksgiving just so we can have a turkey left overs.

In our family, some like roasted, some like smoked, some like fried, and some *GASP!!* don't really like turkey at all!!

Ergo, we've come up with a compromise this year, since we're hosting Thanksgiving at our house...

Our "main" turkey will be a traditional roast turkey that's been brined in a garlic and herb brine. Kinda boring in some ways, but it always comes out super tasty, and when I've done it before, the family always likes it a lot. Drippings also make super tasty gravy.

For myself, my wife, my father-in-law, my brother, and the others who like smoked turkey, I'll also be smoking an ~8-9 pound bone-in breast on the WSM. Nothing too fancy...basic apple juice brine, a rub down with good poultry rub, a couple of pats of butter under the skin, and onto the smoker with Kingsford Comp briquettes, one chunk white oak, and three chunks peach.

Call me crazy, but it just seems easier to do both than to have to put up with sullen, disappointed, or upset family members (hey, there's always Christmas for that...at least there's more time to drink then, right?!? :razz::roll:)

Smoke one as always, will be the first one on the FEC though.

Although this bacon skin has me thinking....

Its awesome.

544932_795630620511905_1661737307261065404_n.jpg

1780897_795630680511899_4190103446647363392_n.jpg

1472063_795630707178563_2041246696240493931_n.jpg

63950_795630783845222_4657502656738826840_n.jpg

I'm doing two whole birds in the Classic. I'm going to spatchcock one of them... my wife is insisting on stuffing the one. Totally complicates timing. I don't do a lot of turkeys so I'm totally perplexed on timing.

If I get to cook anything it will be another duck in the outdoor brick oven. It was a surprise winner last year. In the meantime, the turkey will be brined and cooked in the oven in the house. Now if I could just get my wife to embrace digital thermometers instead of winging it. Her one concession to me is to allow me to brine the turkey but that was a debate that could have gone either way. Sometimes tradition aka "...because that's the way we have always done it..." can be an ugly thing. :biggrin1:

hanging a ~14-16 lb'er in the PBC. brined in game changer and rubbed with yard bird. first time doing a big bird, fingers crossed. probe the deep in the breast and the theigh and I'm looking for 165 right?

where are you guys getting your turkey breasts? I had hoped to do one of those prior to the big show to try the brine/rub out but my butcher didn't have breasts available.

hanging a ~14-16 lb'er in the PBC. brined in game changer and rubbed with yard bird. first time doing a big bird, fingers crossed. probe the deep in the breast and the theigh and I'm looking for 165 right?

where are you guys getting your turkey breasts? I had hoped to do one of those prior to the big show to try the brine/rub out but my butcher didn't have breasts available.

Typically when the breast is 165 the thigh area will be hotter say 175-180....so just focus on the breast temp.

Back