THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll be doing the oiless fryer bird. :thumb:

I may hang one sometime in the next month but it won't be a Thanksgiving burd.....
Lots of folks swear that the oil less fryer is just as good as deep fried. I wish I could try one sometime. If by my taste buds it was in fact as good I'd go right out and get a Big Easy.

Lots of folks swear that the oil less fryer is just as good as deep fried. I wish I could try one sometime. If by my taste buds it was in fact as good I'd go right out and get a Big Easy.

Toast swears his are just as good as when he use to fry the birds. I've only cooked a couple in the Big Easy and my experience has been that the flavor is VERY close to when I fried. I don't think I've perfected the cook yet though. But I have come to the conclusion that it's so close flavor wise for me to decide I'm never buying the $40 worth of oil, cleaning up a oily mess or worrying about drinking too much burning my neighborhood up....lol. :becky: And after 2-3 cooks the money saved will just about pay for the Big Easy.

I would recommend the Big Easy if you only cook 1 or 2 birds for your family when you cook. If you fry several for your family at a time then I'd continue to fry them. To me that's the only way to justify the price to fry turkeys.

Haven't had a turkey day off in 6 years. Last time I did one in the oven and deep fried the other. The oven bird barely got touched. This time I'm deep frying one, brine and smoke the other on the drum. Didn't have the drum back then so gonna see if I can even out the odds on the birds.

I will be doing the offset and I think this year will inject. Last year I did offset with just a light seasoning of spog.and brushed with seasoned butter during the cook.

I'm doing 3:

1. Plain ol' in the oven........Don't mess with my wife's boring Azz oven turkey! :loco:

2. Whole bird on the smoker (UDS). No spatchcock, just whole and in a pan. Going to brine in Smokin' Okie's Holiday Turkey Brine - http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokin-Okies-101-Series/Brining-101#_Toc528293334

3. Turkey Breasts on the grill. I have another whole bird that I am going to butcher the breasts from and use the dark meat/carcass for stock. The breasts are going to be grilled and I will probably pick up another breast. This is usually the fan favorite.

We are having about 40 people over this year for Thanksgiving, so it ought to be a blast! :thumb:

Ed

Spatchcocked & grilled direct on the weber. Going simple on the seasoning - kosher salt &fresh cracked black pepper.

First-Orange cranberry brined and spinning on the Weber performer.

Second-OakRidge Game Change brine into the PBC with the new turkey hanger.

The wife will likely roast a turkey breast in the oven for those who don't like the smoke.

Toast swears his are just as good as when he use to fry the birds. I've only cooked a couple in the Big Easy and my experience has been that the flavor is VERY close to when I fried. I don't think I've perfected the cook yet though. But I have come to the conclusion that it's so close flavor wise for me to decide I'm never buying the $40 worth of oil, cleaning up a oily mess or worrying about drinking too much burning my neighborhood up....lol. :becky: And after 2-3 cooks the money saved will just about pay for the Big Easy.

I would recommend the Big Easy if you only cook 1 or 2 birds for your family when you cook. If you fry several for your family at a time then I'd continue to fry them. To me that's the only way to justify the price to fry turkeys.
If I were only frying one or two I would have already gotten a Big Easy. I have an 8-1/2 gallon R & V Works fryer that I can fry 3 turkeys at a time. I routinely fry 8-10 turkeys during T'day and Christmas. I buy my oil from a restaurant supply for $17 per 5 gallons. Then after the fry I filter the oil and reuse it for a year. It's not that big of a deal for me to fry really. I just like to cook many different ways so one day I'll get a BE.

The "family" will do the oven roasted bird with lots of aromatics & citrus in the cavity (actually very good), but I've also been asked to smoke some breasts just cause they taste so damn good! Not sure yet if they will go in one of the smokers or on the Santa Maria Ranch Grill Rotisserie, guess that depends on the outdoors weather and temperature, cold-n-clear means the ranch rotisserie.

Deep fry. Gives me a chance to get out of the house while everyone makes a mess! Plus, my wife's cousin usually helps and brings some good beer for us to split.

Brined in apple cider, oranges, ginger, clove, garlic, brown sugar etc and smoked in the Shirley at 350. Looking forward to my turkey in the offset. We're usually at my folks so I'm stuck cooking it on a Weber kettle, NTTAWWT...

And I get a free practice run tomorrow night cooking 4 20lbers for my wife's school.

Back