Holy Steel Costs

Back9Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Received few quotes back on steel for my Outlaw Patio clone build. Good thing I was sitting down. I know prices have gone up but geez.

4x8 1/4" sheet $750
2x2 Angle 3/16" thick $80 for 20'
24" OD x 48" long 3/8" side wall pipe - $1900!
2x2 Tube 1/4" sidewall - $200

May look into propane/bladder tank as CC and cut off the end bells (hate look of them) What is typical thickness of these tanks?

Also initial plan was 2x2 square tube for base frame with golf cart wheels. Due to price I moved it to angle iron. Is 1/8" thick good enough to support CC and FB? If so I will build frame out of that. Still waiting to hear from work if they have any scrap pipe laying around. We routinely use 24" with 3/8" side wall. I can get 1/2" plate from them all day but that stuff is heavy. To help with costs what are thoughts of 1/2" inner shell on FB and 1/4" Outside. Will be extremely heavy but half the cost.

I too was shocked at how much steel price increased over last 2 months when I had to reorder some. I read couple of articles that price won’t be coming down anytime soon unfortunately.

No need for 1/4" thick 2x2 for legs, 1/8" is sufficient but if your set on going to angle iron, i'd stick with 3/16" or 1/4" for extra rigidity. If you go 1/8" angle, add some structure to it to prevent twisting.

That 4X8 sheet of 1/4th in being 800.00

I can see thieves yanking the plate in the road covering construction holes!

No need for 1/4" thick 2x2 for legs, 1/8" is sufficient but if your set on going to angle iron, i'd stick with 3/16" or 1/4" for extra rigidity. If you go 1/8" angle, add some structure to it to prevent twisting.

So your saying 3/16” angle or 1/8” square? I prefer tube but angle cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the other thing is if I did 1/2” on inside of firebox is 3/16” good enough for outside?

I can't believe a sheet of steel is that much.
The stuff on the roads is thicker than 1/4", wonder how much that is!

I got a new quote for $500 per sheet and I swear he laughed when he gave me the price

What are some good places check and see if they have drops or scrap?

So your saying 3/16” angle or 1/8” square? I prefer tube but angle cheaper

Yes. For my projects ive used 2x2x1/4" angle for the legs and it worked out very well with no movement but if you decrease that to 1/8" angle, it'd see rigidity issues.

And for probably the cheapest steel goto fab shops and see what they can do for pricing on "drops" or goto a BIG steel supplier and buy a fair amount. There's no such thing as "cheap" steel anymore, or cheap anything.

Back