THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$3k. Better than $7500+ I was quotes from builders

Amazon order and gantry crane right at $1k
Tanks$300
Rental truck and gas get tanks $200
Wheels $750
Tube and 1/4” plate $TBD
Insulation $85
Elbow,stack-$free
Angle-$TBD
Expanded metal-$TBD
Paint and clear-$free
Sand blast- $TBD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$750 wheel budget?!?! Now yer talkin!!

Good call - you'll be glad you went with primo large wheels instead of casters. So much easier to move across bumps and terrain.

Yea I believe that is a realistic number..If I was to do it again, I would not go with a insulated firebox in Florida, The rest I like on mine..

Yea I believe that is a realistic number..If I was to do it again, I would not go with a insulated firebox in Florida, The rest I like on mine..

I have been debating fully insulated, bottom only, or none. Tank thickness will be factor. Also my 4year old is more intrigued by smoker and touched the last FB few times. It was insulated so all was good but never know. I am thinking bottom insulated with log warmer on top may be nice

Looking to place my steel order on Fri and unsure of angle size for lower rack. Since I am doing slide out and one rack spans length between endbells will 1” angle be sufficient? I will add supports between long runs but didnt know if I should go 1.5” angle on bottom

What is everyones thoughts on a 6” stack on a 500 with an 8” elbow

Typically see 10” elbow and 8” stack but wondering if it would look off. Dont want it looking like a bodybuilder with tiny sausage

Well I got two 250 gallon tanks being delivered on Sat. Finalizing steel order and should have that in two weeks

Unknown is still FB design. Im debating on d*ck tip to d*ck tip or flat ends still. Also not sure if I want to run mineral wool or air gap for insulation. If Inhad a 3” air gap what do you think external temps would be on outer shell? Trying to make sure paint job will remain clean.

Also dont want to efficient and create oven affect when its 100F outside in FL. That is why I am leaning towards air gap which would also be easier to build

May make last minute switchup and need brethren thoughts and advice

If it was same money and had space/use for either which would you choose

A 250 rover
2b1b8def78249a572386d80e036b3be5.jpg

Or a 500 on casters
8197fe897c920fdd7e8b52cb3d67f3ed.jpg

250! A 500 on castors means it's ALWAYS going to be a pain in the ass to move. I've got a 250 and I think it's a perfect size where you can get a great amount of smoke but not sacrifice an entire forest to cook a piece of chicken. Doubling that to a 500 and unless you're in the BBQ business how often would you actually be able to fill that up and utilize all that space?

250! A 500 on castors means it's ALWAYS going to be a pain in the ass to move. I've got a 250 and I think it's a perfect size where you can get a great amount of smoke but not sacrifice an entire forest to cook a piece of chicken. Doubling that to a 500 and unless you're in the BBQ business how often would you actually be able to fill that up and utilize all that space?

I would max it out maybe 3 times a year. How much wood does your 250 use and is FB insulated?

I would max it out maybe 3 times a year. How much wood does your 250 use and is FB insulated?

Non-insulated firebox, Johnson Smokers reverse flow. I'm putting in (2) 18-24" splits every 30 minutes or so to keep the pit at about 250 degrees. Maybe a bit more depending on the wind as it's common to have 20MPH wind out here in Texas.

Non-insulated firebox, Johnson Smokers reverse flow. I'm putting in (2) 18-24" splits every 30 minutes or so to keep the pit at about 250 degrees. Maybe a bit more depending on the wind as it's common to have 20MPH wind out here in Texas.

Sounds good. Unfortunately I measured out space in my garage and a 500 will be too tight. I have to go 250. Will run insulated box

Back