THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back9Q

is one Smokin' Farker
With the sale of my offset this past weekend its time to start planning 250 rover build. Over weekend I got a lot of items finalized but still a few unknown on what looks best and is practical. Hoping you all can help

For reference the below photo will be used for build design. I plan to uses rounded end bell 250 for CC and another 250 cut down for inner and outer FB with 2” insulation. 1/4” plate on front and back. I will be doing wagon steering with hub and sleeve design on front.

Here is where input is appreciated. I plan on using single door so can cook hog. What will door weight on a 250 if I leave roughly 8” on each side door between welds. Dont prefer to use counterweight but could if needed. Where is a good place to get 8” elbows?

Finally. What is everyone thought on the frame? I dont really need it for wood storage but cant decide if looks better with or without

d3c7a6a0ea0063c829cd757352ede67d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the frame, it could be a good place to put the top grates when you don’t need them on a cook. I would check with any mechanical contractors in your area. They often have weld fittings left over from large jobs. Such “inventory” is often not on the books as it was paid for during the job, and can be traded for such things as brisket, ribs, or beer.

On the frame, I would put one on like in the pic just in case you ever get the urge to sell it and build another.

The new owner would probably like a frame rack for storage of whatever. I think the smoker in the pic looks awesome.

Im going to go with frame. Def will make it zero turn. I will probably start gathering materials soon but first going to install a hoist in garage on trolly make it easier

Can anyone tell me distance between welds on a 250 tank?

My opinion, now that I’ve cooked on a 250 several times, is that it’s still awkwardly sized yet not quite big enough. Especially on a direct flow offset if you’re going for single grate cooking. It’ll be an upgrade over that pretty sweet smoker you just sold but my prediction is……….you’ll be looking to upgrade after you finish this one.

My opinion, now that I’ve cooked on a 250 several times, is that it’s still awkwardly sized yet not quite big enough. Especially on a direct flow offset if you’re going for single grate cooking. It’ll be an upgrade over that pretty sweet smoker you just sold but my prediction is……….you’ll be looking to upgrade after you finish this one.

Are you saying go 500 gallon? Two requirements are has to fit in garage and must be on golf cart wheels

Last edited:
Cannot cook a whole hog on mine with double doors and still have fun.

When I had Chad Johnson build my 250 gallon smoker the requirement was that it could cook whole hogs. I gave him a couple of my ideas and the one we both settled on was a single door with counterweights to make it easy to use. This also allows for the grates to span the entire width of the cook chamber rather than have them split into 4 pieces as is often seen with other designs.

This also allows for the grates to span the entire width of the cook chamber rather than have them split into 4 pieces as is often seen with other designs.

Agree with the single door. But...

Why wouldn't it work with 4 grates? As long as each grate is framed on all 4 sides with angle iron I'm trying to understand why it wouldn't work the same as a single grate.

If anything, it seems like it would work better due to the added support of the additional framing on each section to support the hog. :noidea:

How big a hog can you put in it? 150-200lbs?

Looking at that smoker, I always wonder why if making such a long smoker, why not have a large door to fit a whole hog in. Or put a hing on the center bar between the two doors so you can lift it up when you want to put a large hog in.

I know i didn't answer your question, just throwing out an idea since you are building one.

Or put a hing on the center bar between the two doors so you can lift it up when you want to put a large hog in.

I know i didn't answer your question, just throwing out an idea since you are building one.

Maybe you're the first to ever think of that! Not a bad idea. Seems possible and that would allow for two lighter doors.

Maybe you're the first to ever think of that! Not a bad idea. Seems possible and that would allow for two lighter doors.

The center bar would have a bend at the bottom so when its down, it lays flush with the sides so there is no gap for smoke/air to leak out when the doors are down. The bend would also strengthen the bar.

The center bar would have a bend at the bottom so when its down, it lays flush with the sides so there is no gap for smoke/air to leak out when the doors are down.

I would just cut the center bar section out of the tank the same way as the doors and add a short flange to the bottom of it in the area that's not covered by the door flanges on either side of it to seal the chamber and stop it from swinging all the way into the chamber.

But I ain't no fabricator.

When I had Chad Johnson build my 250 gallon smoker the requirement was that it could cook whole hogs. I gave him a couple of my ideas and the one we both settled on was a single door with counterweights to make it easy to use. This also allows for the grates to span the entire width of the cook chamber rather than have them split into 4 pieces as is often seen with other designs.

Like I said “On Mine”…
Also I don’t consider a 50 pound hog a Whole Hog, of coarse if it has a Head and Tail with something in between you could call it that..

Plan is to cut a single door. If too heavy to lift I will split in half and hinge the middle section. Left and right door will have outer strapping and center section will have inner. Outlaw has done this on one of their large cookers. See below. This will allow whole hog cooking but also allow open small sections for individual pieces. Plan is coming together. Picked up 7’ long piece 6” for stack and 8” ling radius 90 for elbow today

I am building a wooden gantry crane to help move some pieces around so thats project number one

51cdaa68a38549416a938d6ad3238e2f.jpg

And here I thought Itsdone was the first to think of that.

At least he got you looking at it as an alternative to counter weights. :-D

Back