THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door weight

If you have a 1/4" shell, your door will weigh about 10.2 pounds per square foot..............if it is 3/8", it will be about 15.3 pounds per square foot........

so a 5' x 1.5' door would weigh about 75 pounds in a 1/4" shell or 115 pounds in a 3/8" shell...................

If you have a 1/4" shell, your door will weigh about 10.2 pounds per square foot..............if it is 3/8", it will be about 15.3 pounds per square foot........

so a 5' x 1.5' door would weigh about 75 pounds in a 1/4" shell or 115 pounds in a 3/8" shell...................

Door isnt bad. I can easily open without issues. Stack weight is roughly 120lbs. I have to stand on top of smoker to raise and lower currently. I plan to shorten it by 2.5’ which hopefully makes it easier to raise and lower from side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Progress growing slow now. I got FB door and match finished. Knocked out stack damper as well today. I shortened stack by 2.5’. I can now lift it myself and total length around 5’ long. Also got thermo port added to front

Unknown is where I am going to put probe port. Dont want it on end as my maverick probes not long enough. If there is a device out there with 10’ probes let me know and ill look at it.

72974e72c1a20b9c40726bee8ff8e7ab.jpg

7e406d54d6e3987e193aeb6da1828d59.jpg

6fe871a8e796ae659598f09a51712364.jpg

5cec0188c338764e2d85e8e55c4ca5eb.jpg

More of question than update. Just built frame for bottom slide out rack. For a 250gal put what is typical spacing between bottom and top rack and how much clearance from top of CC to top rack

Top rack going to be used mainly ribs and chicken so dont expect to be much space and 99% of time will not be installed while pit is running. Only use few times year ill fully load it for neighborhood party

Here’s the distance my Shirley shelves are apart - 250g tank cook chamber. The second shelf is basically halfway the distance to the top of the cook chamber. I can pretty easily service all areas of each shelf with this spacing, but certain tasks for the rear of the bottom shelves are easier when it is slid out.

Here’s the distance my Shirley shelves are apart - 250g tank cook chamber. The second shelf is basically halfway the distance to the top of the cook chamber. I can pretty easily service all areas of each shelf with this spacing, but certain tasks for the rear of the bottom shelves are easier when it is slid out.

That looks pretty tight on bottom shelf

what do you expect to be doing with meat on a slide out shelf where reaching the back half of the grate would be an issue? Just curious, hasn't been a problem for me. I don't even pull them out most of the time.

Also, mine is a reverse flow, so there's that. I'm not an expert on the matter but I've had people that cook on Jambos refer to the upper shelf as a "microwave" and say it's quite a bit more hot. I think you'll find the higher you go in the cook chamber, the higher the temp is going to be above the main grate temp. I'd rather have a slightly lower top shelf to have a tighter variance between my top and bottom grate temperature.

Last edited:
what do you expect to be doing with meat on a slide out shelf where reaching the back half of the grate would be an issue? Just curious, hasn't been a problem for me. I don't even pull them out most of the time.

Also, mine is a reverse flow, so there's that. I'm not an expert on the matter but I've had people that cook on Jambos refer to the upper shelf as a "microwave" and say it's quite a bit more hot. I think you'll find the higher you go in the cook chamber, the higher the temp is going to be above the main grate temp. I'd rather have a slightly lower top shelf to have a tighter variance between my top and bottom grate temperature.

Agree top is microwave and was my reasoning to make it more for ribs and chicken. I guess my ultimate setup would be if I had enough spacing for hog on bottom and ribs/chicken on top. I would prob need 5” spacing on top tho for that

Was able to do a little testing this week. Happy with temp variances. Just need seal up door a little more and then its down cosmetic cleanup and tack welding on expanded metal

I added two slide out shelves. Only thing need figure out is good probe entry location. If I do off to the side probes arent long enough reach across grates. Any remote temp devices out there have 10’ probe lengths?

Temp below are along bottom shelf with the 319F is right center of upper shelf. I used thermapen on far right thermowell and it matched stack side.

af456fa4286207a436536b090d7ceb3b.jpg

82f915ab34f164e02a43d1c07563c326.jpg

9b21c64ef8366d60e6d1a17fb70dc62f.jpg

Racks are done. Bottom and top slide out and I permanently welded in far left side to maximize space to stack

Bottom rack 29x52
Top rack 21x52
Total cook space including far left around 2991sq in

Only thing left is a sh*t load of grinding down to bare metal the. Paint and clear

I got my tel tru thermo in and going to fire up tomorrow with a corned beef brisket

bcb49c2ea27fe075a842881c1b858077.jpg

051fa69516850467dca6f4881ac08cc1.jpg

cc8778e61c1090a21f9f0a2deb0b61d0.jpg

That’s looking great!! As for probes, have you considered using meater so that you wouldn’t have to worry about the length of the cords or where the probe port will go?

That’s looking great!! As for probes, have you considered using meater so that you wouldn’t have to worry about the length of the cords or where the probe port will go?

Thought about it but its a hefty price tag for 4 of them. I wqs able to feed maverick through corner of CC door today and just used magnetic backing on front left leg. Worked well. Will prob stick with that until longer probes come out

Gettin' close to finished. Lookin' good. Ain't it about time to start another one? :becky::tongue:

Funny you say that. At work we have a scrap piece 30” sch 40 pipe with .6” side wall. It is 30” long which would be perfect for a new 250gal build. Im tempted to sell this and do another.

Funny you say that. At work we have a scrap piece 30” sch 40 pipe with .6” side wall. It is 30” long which would be perfect for a new 250gal build. Im tempted to sell this and do another.

That's what I thought.....:thumb:

Back