high heat ribs. thoughts/experience

Using Barbefunkaramaque's technique - 275/300 temp range, no foil:

attachment.php

Some nice pink:

attachment.php

At the Rendezvous in Memphis baby backs are cooked about 2-3' above charcoal at a relatively hot 425F for only about 60 minutes. The secret is, according to them, while they are cooking they are frequently mopped with a vinegar based mop that, according to them, steams and softens the meat. No wood is used so there is not much smoke taste. The meat is flavored with the mop and fat dripping on the coals and vaporizing. Then it is covered in their seasoning. There is no sauce.

I cooked some last weekend at 300 and did not care for them..I like mine around 250-260 (no foil) for about 5 1/2 hours for st louis and 4 1/2 for BB (give or take).

At the Rendezvous in Memphis baby backs are cooked about 2-3' above charcoal at a relatively hot 425F for only about 60 minutes. The secret is, according to them, while they are cooking they are frequently mopped with a vinegar based mop that, according to them, steams and softens the meat. No wood is used so there is not much smoke taste. The meat is flavored with the mop and fat dripping on the coals and vaporizing. Then it is covered in their seasoning. There is no sauce.
And, they...well, let's just say I don't care for them.

Back