Top Ten BBQ Restaurants (my list)

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
OK, so we've seen lots and lots of BBQ lists posted with various criteria that don't make any sense. I've decided I'm going to post mine and you can criticize it and call me names.

Selection criteria: These are all places I've been to and I have been to a lot of BBQ restaurants over the past 50 years. I have eaten BBQ in over 30 states, but NOT in some places. For instance, I have not been to Kansas City, so y'all can hate me for that, or better yet, invite me for a tour. I have been to some notable hot spots that appear on other lists, but although I did have decent BBQ, I didn't consider what I had to be in the top 10 (Memphis, St Louis, Houston, Nashville come to mind). Also, because I haven't done as much travel as I've done in the past, new restaurants have opened up that I am sure are quite good and others on this list may have dropped off in quality. I've also given higher ranks to places I've visited more and had consistent results. So here goes:

10. The original Q Shack (Durham, NC) -- I spent several years traveling to this area and this was my go-to BBQ. It is NOT NC BBQ, but rather Texas BBQ. Their Cobb salad (seriously) is outstanding, as well as their spinach. Their ribs and brisket were consistently good. The locals think the BBQ is weird, because the sauce is not typical Carolina. Wednesday also was Bluegrass night (perhaps still is) and they had a local band play in the evening.

9. Rodney Scott's (Charleston, SC) -- I've been a couple times and had the best pulled pork ever at this location. Uncharacteristic of the south, the sides were not up to standards, oh, but that pork still haunts me.

8. Lexington BBQ (Lexington, NC) -- Honeymonks, need I say more? Traveling to SC, this was a must-stop. It is one of my favorite Carolina-style restaurant, of which I've tried many.

7. Franklin's (Austin, Texas) -- Ate here once with Greg (gtr) and his sister. Fabulous experience and fabulous brisket. It was a fun time waiting in line. Brisket was unique. Only been once.

6. La Barbecue (Austin, Texas) -- Again, one of those places I stumbled upon shortly after they opened up. There was no line at the time even. Had the best slice of brisket I've ever had. I still dream of that slice. Only been once.

5. Louie Mueller (Taylor Texas) -- Visited with Frognot some years ago. Best beef rib I've ever shared and fabulous experience.

4. Lewis BBQ (Charleston, SC) -- Solid (Texas-style) BBQ, fabulous sides, good specials and Mexican food to boot! The brisket is very good, not excellent, but top 20% on a Texas scale. I expected it to be better as Lewis has a fabulous pedigree, working with top pitmasters in Texas. It is still solid, but the other items on the menu more than make up for this. This restaurant is quite the opposite of Rodney Scott's located just a few blocks away.

3. BBQ Exchange (Gordonsville, Virginia) -- A friend showed me this place, opened by a CIA-trained chef who wanted to open a BBQ shack in a small town. When I first went, I was really impressed. On many occasions I've driven an hour or so out of my way to eat here.

2. B.T.'s Smokehouse (Sturbridge Massachusetts) -- we take a yearly drive to Canada and stumbled upon this place a decade ago shortly after it first opened. It is some of the best BBQ in the country. Again, it was the dream of a CIA-trained chef who wanted to open a BBQ shack in a small town. The lines are long now and I highly recommend ordering online as you're driving in. Best (brisket) Reuben sandwich I've ever had. They have many specials that we've sampled and they have always been outstanding.

1. Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q (Decatur, Alabama) -- This is one that I've driven over 100 miles out of my way to visit on multiple occasions. I've been several times now. It is the home base of Chris Lilly and I shouldn't have to say more except the restaurant really reflects the championship qualify of the food (I've been to a few other champions' restaurants that weren't nearly as good). Everything on the menu is special and you can't skip the white sauce.

These ratings are fluid. The places I've only eaten at once I've given a lower rating and part of the rating is based on the BBQ dreams I've had afterward. For instance, I definitely have thought of the LA Barbecue brisket slice I had more than the one at Franklin's, so it gets a higher ranking; however, it certainly is possible that if I went again, the dreams would be different.

Dang, after the first sentence I was looking forward to calling you names. After a thorough read, you left me no ammo. That's just mean.

I'm heading to Charleston next week for a family vacay. Nice to see two of your top ten in Charleston. Might have to hit up both restaurants.

Well done, but useless really. - I don't mean to be rude.

It's just that three conditions exist.
1. We can't possibly try enough BBQ to have a valid list.
2. Opinions on the style, meat, and method differ greatly.
3. We all know the best BBQ is some non-famous place very few people know about.

Personally, the best BBQ I've ever had was at a shack in West Memphis, AR years ago. There were 3 people in there and it was run by a 75-year-old black man that was a total gem.

Well done, but useless really. - I don't mean to be rude.

It's just that three conditions exist.
1. We can't possibly try enough BBQ to have a valid list.
2. Opinions on the style, meat, and method differ greatly.
3. We all know the best BBQ is some non-famous place very few people know about.

Personally, the best BBQ I've ever had was at a shack in West Memphis, AR years ago. There were 3 people in there and it was run by a 75-year-old black man that was a total gem.

Thanks! This is more like I expect, Bruce please take note! I agree especially about the styles. For instance, if you read reviews on just about any BBQ joint in NC, you'll read about how strange and sour it is, mainly from visitors to the state who just do not know the style and give it one-star reviews. It is a completely different beast. I feel dirty putting Rodney Scott's and Lewis' on the same list. They are as different as night and day.

Also, I've been to lots of those non-famous places. I've done a lot of traveling, sometimes sampling 4-5 BBQ restaurants in a day when I do so. A lot of those roadside shacks are not very good and the ones that are very good often do get discovered and written up -- you can find a lot on youtube actually. One of my favorites is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXM-9eS8ZKQ

This is an order at the window, eat outside or in the car. Yes, I ate there and it was fabulous, great sauce.

If that shack is still open in West Memphis, let me know where I can find it. I might be driving through in November. :thumb:

If that shack is still open in West Memphis, let me know where I can find it. I might be driving through in November. :thumb:
Not sure which shack it might be. But a little SW of West Memphis is Jones Bar-B-Q Diner 219 W Louisiana St, Marianna, AR 72360. Run by a little old black man, on a side street in the middle of a residential area. Choices are a pulled pork sandwich on white bread or pulled pork by the pound.

I believe it's the oldest black owned restaurant in the US. James Beard award winner too.

https://www.history.com/news/historic-oldest-us-restaurants

2Zlz24Zl.jpg

ZaHchzml.jpg

JBCJIgHl.jpg

I had the slaw on the sandwich, good stuff, no sauce to hide anything...

MOFNTI8l.jpg

Thanks for the write up Gore.

You know I come to you for tips I don't find in your posts through DM (I'll be in Berlin again next month and am checking my notes) but I will reference this post quite often in my near future.

I see no love for the STL/KC area, which is fine, not a complaint, I've just spent 6 years as a visitor to the STL area while my kid was in school, there's some good Q there and its not all sickly sweet upper Midwest, next time you are in the area.

And now my kid is graduating grad school and decided to stay, so I'll be a occasional visitor for years more to come.

Again, thank you for putting pen to paper, so to speak, on someone's advice I've trusted for years.

Take care

Not sure which shack it might be. But a little SW of West Memphis is Jones Bar-B-Q Diner 219 W Louisiana St, Marianna, AR 72360. Run by a little old black man, on a side street in the middle of a residential area. Choices are a pulled pork sandwich on white bread or pulled pork by the pound.

I believe it's the oldest black owned restaurant in the US. James Beard award winner too.

Thanks Andy, my impression from pmad's post was that these little shacks are all over and unknown. If this is indeed the place that pmad is referring to, then it supports my point that if the BBQ is indeed good, then it will be discovered and written up. There are many youtube videos of undiscovered BBQ gems. A James Bear award winner is hardly an anonymous shack. I believe I've heard this place referenced and I'd love to visit.

I see no love for the STL/KC area, which is fine, not a complaint, I've just spent 6 years as a visitor to the STL area while my kid was in school, there's some good Q there and its not all sickly sweet upper Midwest, next time you are in the area.

And now my kid is graduating grad school and decided to stay, so I'll be a occasional visitor for years more to come.

Again, thank you for putting pen to paper, so to speak, on someone's advice I've trusted for years.

Take care

There's no love for the KC area because I've never been. I did visit STL a few years back and sampled about 5-6 places. I didn't regret anything and the meals were good, but I just didn't have anything that made a strong impression on me. There are a LOT of great BBQ restaurants (and a lot of crappy ones), but everything this the list made an impression on me and is special in some way to me. All lists are subjective to a large extent.

Never visited any of those, so I have to take your word for it. I have no need to eat BBQ at a restaurant since my friends and I all cook. My list would be Mike's house, Bob's house, Pete's house and my house. LMAO! Means just as much to you as your list means to me!! No offense meant, just don't eat out much. With friends, I like the music, the company, the food, and most of all the price!! No compromises needed.

Gore, I enjoy your posts. They are thought provoking, bold, just what I would expect on this forum. In fact this forum would not be the same if you had not been around. You are truly beloved here and I can understand why. :bow: So, it pains me greatly to ask " Are you out of your FARKING mind, placing BT's ahead of Franklins, La Barbecue, and Mueller"? I drive by 5-6 times a year, but stopped going because the BBQ was just average in my book. Its been over 5 years ago, maybe things have changed, but I think he's got that CIA voodoo going on you. The rest of the menu is fantastic, so I'm inclined to think critical tasting has been compromised when it comes to the Q. Please let me know the next time you are driving through. Would love to meet you, but more to the point, I want to eat there on the same day as you. I hope your right because they are not too far away.

Gore, I enjoy your posts. They are thought provoking, bold, just what I would expect on this forum. In fact this forum would not be the same if you had not been around. You are truly beloved here and I can understand why. :bow: So, it pains me greatly to ask " Are you out of your FARKING mind, placing BT's ahead of Franklins, La Barbecue, and Mueller"? I drive by 5-6 times a year, but stopped going because the BBQ was just average in my book. Its been over 5 years ago, maybe things have changed, but I think he's got that CIA voodoo going on you. The rest of the menu is fantastic, so I'm inclined to think critical tasting has been compromised when it comes to the Q. Please let me know the next time you are driving through. Would love to meet you, but more to the point, I want to eat there on the same day as you. I hope your right because they are not too far away.

Cool! This was a tough one actually. I initially had BT's ranked lower than all three of these that you mention. The problem is that I have only been to Franklin's, La Barbecue and Mueller *once*. Although, I would rate them better than BT's, I had a bit of trouble in my mind doing so based on such a small sample size. We've also had extremely good luck with BT's. The first time we went, my wife had the Reuben, not a typical BBQ menu item. My wife loves Reubens and she said this was the best Reuben she ever had. I had to agree. That sandwich is what caused me to look them up and see their history. The next time, we ventured a hamburger. It was late at night and we were running late and I called in the order. I remember asking what items to to put on the burger and the lady said, we don't put items on our burgers. They don't need any. It was fabulous, no ketchup, no cheese, no nothing, just a smoked burger on a nice bun. BBQ poutine? My wife lived in Quebec. She said it was the best poutine she's had. Yes, we've tried brisket and ribs, etc. All have been extremely good, not as good (or memorable) as Franklins, LABBQ and Muellers, but very good nonetheless. It is the specials and atypical menu items that BT's really shine. My wife and I might be driving through this next week. Again, subjective, but I hope that helps.

I wish I had something to add or criticise. I can call you names though.

However, that would be bad form. I'll call you a clever bugger and that should do it.

Cheers!

B

Cool! This was a tough one actually. I initially had BT's ranked lower than all three of these that you mention. The problem is that I have only been to Franklin's, La Barbecue and Mueller *once*. Although, I would rate them better than BT's, I had a bit of trouble in my mind doing so based on such a small sample size. We've also had extremely good luck with BT's. The first time we went, my wife had the Reuben, not a typical BBQ menu item. My wife loves Reubens and she said this was the best Reuben she ever had. I had to agree. That sandwich is what caused me to look them up and see their history. The next time, we ventured a hamburger. It was late at night and we were running late and I called in the order. I remember asking what items to to put on the burger and the lady said, we don't put items on our burgers. They don't need any. It was fabulous, no ketchup, no cheese, no nothing, just a smoked burger on a nice bun. BBQ poutine? My wife lived in Quebec. She said it was the best poutine she's had. Yes, we've tried brisket and ribs, etc. All have been extremely good, not as good (or memorable) as Franklins, LABBQ and Muellers, but very good nonetheless. It is the specials and atypical menu items that BT's really shine. My wife and I might be driving through this next week. Again, subjective, but I hope that helps.

I'm so glad we have common ground, in that it is not the BBQ that brings you back, but the atypical menu items.

This does remind me of my years in the financial services business when analysts would suggest something was wrong at a company when their results didn't coincide with analysts model. My thought was the model needed to be changed, not the company in their strategy. Similar sentiments here, if your model/criteria continues to rank BTs above the aforementioned, you might need to tweak your model, or rename it.

Again, this is with well deserved respect, reverence, brethrenship, and good natured "ribbing". :-D

I'm so glad we have common ground, in that it is not the BBQ that brings you back, but the atypical menu items.

This does remind me of my years in the financial services business when analysts would suggest something was wrong at a company when their results didn't coincide with analysts model. My thought was the model needed to be changed, not the company in their strategy. Similar sentiments here, if your model/criteria continues to rank BTs above the aforementioned, you might need to tweak your model, or rename it.

Again, this is with well deserved respect, reverence, brethrenship, and good natured "ribbing". :-D

Hey, I expected some ribbing in rankings and I certainly don't expect respect or reverence, but will gladly accept brethrenship. I can disagree with my best friends. If you have a difference of opinion, then please state it. I've tried to explain my reasoning, and I know it is faulty, but at least I explain it and it is more than "most likes on tripadvisor," which is about as faulty as you can have. There are many places that I've thought of including, but didn't and would enjoy feedback on that. Bill mentioned St Louis. I had good BBQ in St. Louis, just nothing that was memorable enough to convince me to include here. I still remember fondly Big Ray's BBQ in Tucson that I frequented many times before I moved away. I still dream of their diced brisket and sliced pork sandwiches. It would've made this list if they were still in business. I also had two absolutely horrible experiences with ribs at The Rendezvous in Memphis, worst ribs ever, but went back for a third visit and had absolutely fabulous and unique ribs -- if I'd only been that one time, I would have included them here and half of y'all would have known I was certifiable. I wondered how they could be so different, but I understood why the reviews were so varied on that restaurant -- some love it, some hate it: inconsistency.

Last edited:
Back