Top Ten BBQ Restaurants (my list)

May have to check out BTs Gore as I am in MA now less than an hour away. Thanks. When are you going through MA

May have to check out BTs Gore as I am in MA now less than an hour away. Thanks. When are you going through MA

Go for it George. I'd love more opinions. We normally drive to Nova Scotia once a year and it might be next week or in a couple weeks. It's about 1100 miles we don't dillydally too much, except now that we're older, we do stop at a hotel now instead of driving straight through. After many years of disappointment, we discovered BT's. The other place we usually stop at is Nook and Cranny near Calais.

Not sure which shack it might be. But a little SW of West Memphis is Jones Bar-B-Q Diner 219 W Louisiana St, Marianna, AR 72360. Run by a little old black man, on a side street in the middle of a residential area. Choices are a pulled pork sandwich on white bread or pulled pork by the pound.

I believe it's the oldest black owned restaurant in the US. James Beard award winner too.

https://www.history.com/news/historic-oldest-us-restaurants

2Zlz24Zl.jpg

ZaHchzml.jpg

JBCJIgHl.jpg

I had the slaw on the sandwich, good stuff, no sauce to hide anything...

MOFNTI8l.jpg

Glad you chimed in. I was going to mention Jones' and my favorite Craig's BBQ a little further to the West off I-40
https://www.southernfoodways.org/interview/craigs-bar-b-q/

If that joint in West Memphis is still around there's a good possibility it's Wayne's BBQ or maybe Ray's BBQ. They both fit part of the description.

Not sure which shack it might be. But a little SW of West Memphis is Jones Bar-B-Q Diner 219 W Louisiana St, Marianna, AR 72360. Run by a little old black man, on a side street in the middle of a residential area. Choices are a pulled pork sandwich on white bread or pulled pork by the pound.

I believe it's the oldest black owned restaurant in the US. James Beard award winner too.

https://www.history.com/news/historic-oldest-us-restaurants

Glad you chimed in. I was going to mention Jones' and my favorite Craig's BBQ a little further to the West off I-40
https://www.southernfoodways.org/interview/craigs-bar-b-q/

If that joint in West Memphis is still around there's a good possibility it's Wayne's BBQ or maybe Ray's BBQ. They both fit part of the description.

Gore thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews and the rationale. I agree it is very difficult to compare Texas style bbq and real....uhhh...I mean Carolina style bbq haha. I love both very much, but they are very much different creatures. I agree Scott's has the best bbq, but the Hemingway (original) location is better than Charleston. Rodney explained it to us as he can't sauce it as much in Charleston as he can in Hemingway. At home people are used to it, in Charleston it might be too vinegary (this is why they have bottles out to add more). To be honest the best thing that knocked my socks off at Rodney Scott's were the wings. Those were unbelievably great. I have often wanted to travel to NC and try some bbq like Skylight Inn and other places.

Gore thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews and the rationale. I agree it is very difficult to compare Texas style bbq and real....uhhh...I mean Carolina style bbq haha. I love both very much, but they are very much different creatures. I agree Scott's has the best bbq, but the Hemingway (original) location is better than Charleston. Rodney explained it to us as he can't sauce it as much in Charleston as he can in Hemingway. At home people are used to it, in Charleston it might be too vinegary (this is why they have bottles out to add more). To be honest the best thing that knocked my socks off at Rodney Scott's were the wings. Those were unbelievably great. I have often wanted to travel to NC and try some bbq like Skylight Inn and other places.

Thanks for the info. I was curious about the Hemingway location and how it varied from that in Charleston and if that might be worth another trip out there sometime. Seems so. There are a lot of good locations in the Carolinas. The BBQ at Skylight also was very good and unique. I didn't quite get those things they serve as rolls with it, but enjoyed everything else. I've also enjoyed Maurice's on occasion, but that has been hit and miss depending on the location. I expect you've been that direction.

That was a great list. Got me wondering what my top ten are.

If you ever do a KC que tour holler at me. I also haven't been to KC and it was be be great to meet up with you again.

That was a great list. Got me wondering what my top ten are.

If you ever do a KC que tour holler at me. I also haven't been to KC and it was be be great to meet up with you again.

Thanks Charles, part of my reason for posting was hopefully to inspire others to post their lists as well, even if the lists are just local. Such lists would help immensely, for instance when I go to KC. When I'm visiting someplace, the Brethren is the first place I check for recommendations.

I usually order ribs at restaurants because they are more forgiving but I was in KC for work last week and the brisket at Q39 was incredible. One of my teammates from TX was skeptical of burnt ends, but now he can’t stop talking about them.

I usually order ribs at restaurants because they are more forgiving but I was in KC for work last week and the brisket at Q39 was incredible. One of my teammates from TX was skeptical of burnt ends, but now he can’t stop talking about them.

we drive down there a couple times in the winter from Minnesota just to eat there and swim some at a motel

It's a fun list, and for what it's worth-I just opened it back up today because I'm traveling next week and wanted to see if you had anything in that area :mrgreen:

If we go anywhere near Lexington we are stopping at Lexington BBQ #1.

Back