Goldens' Grill Fried Wings

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I haven't been very active lately since my bbq area has been out of service due to exterior house painting. Whew, I'm glad that task is done and even happier that it wasn't me climbing ladders to do it. :becky:

So, back to grilling and a recent freezer dive which turned up: Chicken Wings! I haven't made these in quite some time and it was a welcome find in the freezer.

A recent Souped Up Recipes video had me trying a new technique. Normally I use a mix of cornstarch and AP Flour, but Mandy's Sesame Chicken video had me trying Potato Starch instead. So here goes nothing.

Rather than just Potato Starch, I mixed it with Yardbird -

wxjjFh5.jpg

F38M8pL.jpg

The wings sat in the fridge, dry rub, uncovered for two days to help dry out the skin -

WOxccYi.jpg

Into the mix they go -

vf5RGji.jpg

And onto the Goldens', indirect at 450F or so for 20 minutes -

OQbonGr.jpg

Spray with EVOO, flip, spray the other side and grill for an additional 20 minutes -

d1yVVSd.jpg

FIgTtz9.jpg

ZZmCaX8.jpg

No Buffalo Wings this evening, I wanted to enjoy the crispiness of the skin. And it was quite crispy for a grilled wing. :thumb: Served with some Broccoli Slaw with Asian dressing -

Ppzbjt8.jpg

0OjPEmy.jpg

i5JDNsB.jpg

pEez0kz.jpg

The Potato Starch experiment was a resounding success! I will definitely use this method in the future. Perhaps a bit more seasoning next time in the mixture, but still quite good.

Thanks for checking in on tonite's experiment of Grill Fried Wings (minus the frying).

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks delicious Dom!!
Feel free to paint the upper level of my house. lol

That's just beautiful.
I would almost eat broccoli slaw to get at some of those wings. Almost.

I reckon I'll just have to get me some tater starch and make my own.

Thanks for the inspire.:thumb:

Great looking cook and I enjoy when someone tries something new and has success with it!

Look nice. Did you find that they were more crispy than your AP and corn starch?

I've been wanting to experiment with corn starch and baking powder mixed. Now I may have to try potato starch.

Looks delicious Dom!!
Feel free to paint the upper level of my house. lol

Thanks, Jeanie. I'll send my painter to OK. The acrobatics of reaching the second story gable end from the roof of the attached garage.... Oh my. At least he was tied to a fence post just in case.

Look nice. Did you find that they were more crispy than your AP and corn starch?

I've been wanting to experiment with corn starch and baking powder mixed. Now I may have to try potato starch.

Thanks. Actually, I do think they were a bit crisper than my usual flour/ cornstarch method. Her video recipe used sweet potato starch which she claims is better than potato starch, but finding that would have been impossible. Tapioca starch is an alternative.

Sounds like a good science experiment.

those look great. I'll have to try potato starch.

My wife gets annoyed if I leave them uncovered in fridge that long, I can get by few hours before dinner though which helps

I also use J Kenji Lopez method with baking powder.

Back