Weber CES 2024 : Searwood Pellet Grill

SmoothBoarBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Donnie
Looks like Weber is trying to distance themselves from the initial issues with the SmokeFire, and have come out with a new pellet grill...the Searwood.

I have to say it all sounds great and could certainly be a step in the correct direction for Weber. I also like the new concept with their 2024 Summit model...a gas grill with a temp controller is quite appealing.

Searwood video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elci_mDVEQM&ab_channel=Engadget

Summit video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xk1vC7uZiU&ab_channel=TheFoodInstitute

As one of the best conductors, how does aluminum retain heat?

Askin fer a friend

i'm generally a fan of weber grills, I've had my Genesis Gold B since '02 and it is still going strong. yes I've rebuilt it and etc but the basic grill has held up to 18yrs od sitting out uncovered in northern IL winters and the past 4-5yrs in Alabama summers. thing still cooks like a champ.

I was disappointed with the reviews of the smokefire and I was hoping Weber would fix it so maybe they got it right this time. of course I'll wait for real world reviews before I decide. I've kicked around getting a pellet grill but honestly propane is probably better for me as a whole, everything I've read tells me that pellets have a tougher time getting proper sear on steaks/burgers but I could be wrong there and I dont wanna drop $12-1500 to find out the hard way :tongue:

i'm generally a fan of weber grills, I've had my Genesis Gold B since '02 and it is still going strong. yes I've rebuilt it and etc but the basic grill has held up to 18yrs od sitting out uncovered in northern IL winters and the past 4-5yrs in Alabama summers. thing still cooks like a champ.

I was disappointed with the reviews of the smokefire and I was hoping Weber would fix it so maybe they got it right this time. of course I'll wait for real world reviews before I decide. I've kicked around getting a pellet grill but honestly propane is probably better for me as a whole, everything I've read tells me that pellets have a tougher time getting proper sear on steaks/burgers but I could be wrong there and I dont wanna drop $12-1500 to find out the hard way :tongue:

Here's the results from my Smokefire a month ago.

Attachments

• 2020-08-02 19.17.00.jpg
    2020-08-02 19.17.00.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 249
Looks like Weber is trying to distance themselves from the initial issues with the SmokeFire, and have come out with a new pellet grill...the Searwood.

I have to say it all sounds great and could certainly be a step in the correct direction for Weber. I also like the new concept with their 2024 Summit model...a gas grill with a temp controller is quite appealing.

Searwood video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elci_mDVEQM&ab_channel=Engadget

Summit video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xk1vC7uZiU&ab_channel=TheFoodInstitute
No idea your capacity needs but this thing has worked great for 16 months now. I have zero complaints. They recently came out with a new version that has 33% greater capacity and two probes. Only requires a half cup of pellets per smoke.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301336&highlight=ninja+woodfire

Im not a gas grill guy, but that summit looks like it could be really handy!

I never was a gas guy either, but about 6 years ago I took a chance on an offset smoker which also had 2 propane burners for roasting inside the cook chamber. Once I wrapped the meat I'd stop using wood splits and switch over to the propane to finish up the cook. It took me a few tries to get comfortable with using gas, but I was actually quite amazed at how well it worked, and how well it could hold temperature.

I can definitely see how a gas grill with a thermostat would be an interesting piece of equipment.

Could be the grumpy old man in me coming out but I’m not sure I see a lot of value in the digital controls for a gas grill — at least for most people. For the relatively small portion of the population that cooks larger items like whole chickens, roasts etc on one it’s probably great. For the majority that only use it for grilling, I don’t see a lot of benefit and I do see a downside longer term. One of the great things about Weber gas grills is that can last for many years, in part due to the availability of affordable replacement parts. The electronic controls aren’t likely to hold up as well and I’d have to assume that replacing them will be fairly pricey. I’d be even more concerned if it turns out that you are required to use any type of app to control the grill (suspect you don’t). That would add an additional risk of Weber discontinuing it’s updates for the app (as they develop future better grills) and it eventually ceasing to work with newer versions of Android and IOS operating systems.

Thanks for the info! I'm researching pellet grill/smokers but not ready to pull the trigger. This looks like it's the same size cooking area as the EX6. Probably a Smokefire with the pellet bin in a traditional location and an updated GUI. I have seen the pellet smoker comparison test where the Smokefire beat some big name players. Just wish Weber had not moved overseas.

I think there’s very little SmokeFire in the SearWood. The hopper change for one is huge because from the schematics it looks like they moved to a more traditional fire pot too. The heat shields, drip tray (more a deflector in Webers) and grease management are all completely redesigned. The grate size is likely the same as the SmokeFire or one of their gassers to promote cross compatibility of their crafted accessories.

Weber is still in Chicago and manufactures grills there. Not all of them but some models. The SmokeFire was assembled there from globally sourced parts. Very similar to American cars these days.

Back