THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B3

Knows what a fatty is.
For a few years, I've watched the local Craigslist ads for slicers, and this one popped up for $200. It's a Globe Model 685. I was at the guy's house the same day. He seemed a bit shady to me, but he said it came from a deli that closed. I thought it looked to be in used condition, but all the parts were there and I couldn't ask for a better price.

So, I brought it home and spent an evening cleaning it up. A lot of the discoloration just scraped right off and it's looking better than when I picked it up.

7330872126_7cc891a082_z.jpg

7330874750_725f47657b_z.jpg

7330876298_5b04491722_z.jpg

7330882600_7b94a955cd_z.jpg

The sharpener seems to work well. I've seen videos of brand new slicer being sharpened and there's a constant stream of sparks flying. I got two or three sparks in the 60 total seconds of contact I did. Is that normal for an older unit?

Anyways, after cleaning it, I took out the pastrami I'd cooked :thumb:, and gave it a go. I was very impressed. It runs better than I had hoped and just like I expected. I made up some of my mother's "hot sandwiches" (pastrami and provolone on a cheap bun).

During all this, I found several wear-and-tear problems, but I'm a bit concerned by two things. 1) The blade is sharp and cuts well, but it looks pretty bad. At first I thought it was rusted, but it's really just pitting on the upper surface. 2) There is a crack in the blade cover that I can only imagine will worsen. The end of that piece has a fork in it and one of the tines looks like it will eventually break off. The good new is, I can probably replace it.

7330880400_ff3d5ca7df_z.jpg

Anyone have advice on either of these issues? Or the slicer in general? Globe doesn't list this model on their site, but they have documentation on other models that are very similar to this.

The blade is sharp when it's sharp, no matter how many sparks it kicks out. You probably see all those sparks on a new blade getting sharpened because they're removing a lot of material where you are only touching up the blade. It's normal. The pits from rust are ok and no harm will come of them. When i clean my slicer up i turn it on and use OO steel wool to polish the blade up a bit but mine looks like yours. You can also put some veggie oil the blade for added protection.

The crack in the guard wont get better on it's own and there's not much you can do about it except be REALLY careful handling it. One of the guards on mine was broken on the bottom but never replaced it but I am very cautious of it. You might be able to find a replacement on ebay. Those cast aluminum parts can break easily.

My advice is clean it very well after each use and it'll give you many years of service. These old units were built like tanks and most parts are still available. Here's a before and after pic of mine, which is deffinately older than yours and from what i remember Globe telling me it's a 40's or 50's model.

IMG_0238.jpg

slicerrehabd3.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: B3
Thanks Zak. I suppose the pitting would be a bigger issue if/when you slice raw meat, making sure to sanitize it when done. Thanks for the maintenance tips.

How did you contact Globe? I'd love to have any info they know about this unit.

I sent them an email through their website asking about replacement parts which they got back to me in about a week. They were very nice but didn't have any parts i needed but they gave me a company that probably did have the parts i needed. I ended up making some things work on my owne and disregarded other cosmetic issues so i never did contact the company they refered me to. But they were able to give me a year built.

I picked up one similar awhile back. It needed a real good cleaning too. I found this Website that may have what you need. I ordered from them through Amazon and was happy with the service.

When searching for parts you need to dig deep and read the descriptions, many parts are covered under different model numbers. Be careful and call to be sure what you order is the correct part.

http://www.bakedeco.com/

This one also has old Globe Parts, I have no dealings with them.

http://www.oldhobartslicerparts.com/globeslicerparts.html

Picture033.jpg

Thanks Terry. I read through your threads once I bought this one. I actually thought that photo was the same slicer i bought at first glance. They're very similar. Wasn't yours a model 500? Did you replace the blade? If so, did you notice a difference?

Globe already got back to me. They said parts are limited because the company was bought out in 1991. They also told me that Model 685 was made in 1967.

Last edited:
Thanks Terry. I read through your threads once I bought this one. I actually thought that photo was the same slicer i bought at first glance. They're very similar. Wasn't yours a model 500? Did you replace the blade? If so, did you notice a difference?

Globe already got back to me. They said parts are limited because the company was bought out in 1991. They also told me that Model 685 was made in 1967.

Correct on the Model 500. I did not replace the blade but took it to a knife sharpening shop and for $20.00 got it professionally done. Now the built in sharpener can keep it maintained. My blade had some pretty good gouges in it before the pro job.

I did notice a big difference, a dull blade will leave a tail on the meat being cut.

I would check with Bakedeco, I wish I could remember the resident Globe expert there. Ask the person who answers the phone and they may transfer you right over to him. He really knows his stuff on the Globes.

• Thanks
Reactions: B3
Back