Cheap but good meat slicer?

You're in SoCal so I'd highly suggest cruising CL, Offerup etc. You will find it soon enough. I scored this Berkel 12" 827e for $400. It was used only a few times. Came with the manual and everything.

ZAPHTXhh.jpg

One last thought. I have very limited counter space. For the approx. 15 times a year I use my slicer, this one is easier to store and take out when I need. Not pushing to sell the little ones, just trying to help. If someone gave me a Hobart, I would have nowhere to put it and would need help getting it out where I could use it when needed.

One last thought. I have very limited counter space. For the approx. 15 times a year I use my slicer, this one is easier to store and take out when I need. Not pushing to sell the little ones, just trying to help. If someone gave me a Hobart, I would have nowhere to put it and would need help getting it out where I could use it when needed.

Thats my biggest issue i have with my Hobart. Not only is it big and takes up too much counter space, but its also heavy AF. For that reason i had to build a cart with heavy duty wheels that i keep down in my basement wrapped in a huge leaf bag so it doesnt get dirty. Its a pain, but i don't use it very often, but when i do, i do things in large batches to make it worthwhile. Plus i got it off CL for $150 and the electronic switch it needed was $50.

Thats my biggest issue i have with my Hobart. Not only is it big and takes up too much counter space, but its also heavy AF. For that reason i had to build a cart with heavy duty wheels that i keep down in my basement wrapped in a huge leaf bag so it doesnt get dirty. Its a pain, but i don't use it very often, but when i do, i do things in large batches to make it worthwhile. Plus i got it off CL for $150 and the electronic switch it needed was $50.

God I miss having a basement!!!! You got a great deal on your machine!

God I miss having a basement!!!! You got a great deal on your machine!

I got lucky with the Hobart, that's for sure. My basement not so much. For some reason only half is concrete, the other half is cobble stone ( house was built in 1901 ). We finished the ceiling and walls though. But it still gets damp if i don't have the dehumidifier going.

It's a 1612 manual slicer btw.

Like most things out there, you get what you pay for. Save up and buy the best.

Totally agree. I started by trying to find the cheapest of what I needed for sausage making, slicer, vac sealer, and quickly realized if you use it alot the cheapest ends up costing an enormous amount of extra time and effort.

I have that Beswood that was mentioned. It was gifted to me by a bunch of my friend. It's massive, a pain to clean, and heavy. I have nowhere to really keep it where it's easy/useful, so it just sits in the bottom of a closet and gets used maybe once every 18 months.

If it was smaller like those chef choice options? I might use it more. Actually looked at a slab of beef bacon yesterday at Restaurant Depot, and decided against it, only because I didn't want to deal with the slicer.

I agree with picking up a quality slicer second hand. Like mentioned above, make sure everything is there and in working order.

I've picked up 6 slicers through Craigslist and Marketplace through the years. I picked these up last month for $75/piece.

Screenshot-20230619-085826-2.png

I am hunting offer up and CL now for a quality slicer, I really appreciate all the info from you guys, I have learned a lot from you over the years and obviously am still learning.

I am hunting offer up and CL now for a quality slicer, I really appreciate all the info from you guys, I have learned a lot from you over the years and obviously am still learning.

I'm not a Facebook user but I use my wife's spare Facebook account for Marketplace. I'm a junkie for a deal or when I need something that I can get secondhand. Unfortunately 90% of most items I find come from Facebook Marketplace. If you can find a way it's worth watching on Marketplace.

I have a Chefs Choice 609 - around 100$. Newer models should be similarly priced. It's not a gourmet slicer for see-through razor thin slices, but it has worked well for me.

VHEGairh.jpg

LaGe8RKh.jpg

I've had the 615 for nearly 10 years now and works great. It's discontinued, but that looks a lot like it. :-D

Back