Cheap but good meat slicer?

24Rocks

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced meat slicer? It will be used to slice lunch meat and the occasional corned beef turned pastrami. Thanks for any help.

I have a Chefs Choice 609 - around 100$. Newer models should be similarly priced. It's not a gourmet slicer for see-through razor thin slices, but it has worked well for me.

VHEGairh.jpg

LaGe8RKh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I am going to order the $70 slicer from amazon and see how it goes, for as often as i will use it I think it will be fine.

Thanks for the info, I am going to order the $70 slicer from amazon and see how it goes, for as often as i will use it I think it will be fine.

Its not soo much how often you use it, but they don't slice thin enough for deli meats. I had luck in finding a used Hobart slicer that just needed a new centrifugal switch. I replaced it with an electronic switch, and bob's your uncle.

Homemade roast beef for Italian Beef Sammiches.

20230714-222113.jpg

Like most things out there, you get what you pay for. Save up and buy the best.

I didn't realize that it wouldn't slice deli thin and after reading more of the reviews I will be returning as soon as it arrives, I will be watching offer up for a while to try and score a deal on a quality slicer, thanks

I didn't realize that it wouldn't slice deli thin and after reading more of the reviews I will be returning as soon as it arrives, I will be watching offer up for a while to try and score a deal on a quality slicer, thanks

This is a buy once cry once type deal. The cheap ones work okay on soft deli meats and cheeses. Not very good for trying to slice a cold brisket with bark.

The above link posted by Craig is a good one for the price and free shipping. Foot print will not be that much bigger than the cheap ones. In my mind the smiles per miles is worth it. YMMV as they say.

Robert.

Another option, if you have the room, I bought a used Berkel 12" commercial slicer at auction, a model 807.

It was about $50. It is important to test them out for motor smoothness, blade condition, slide smoothness, etc. You need to be careful that that slicer is complete - parts can be very expensive. Or for older units, you may be looking on ebay.

That was a rare deal, and I'd been keeping an eye out for a while, but they do come up regularly at auction and go for low prices. Restaurants and stores are always closing.

Got my Beswood for $125 on offer up. The item is like new and works like new. I was watching the site for some time before this one came up.

I generally agree with everyone. I would never have posted if I didn't stand behind it. 8.6" blade, easy to clean, and I have cut every thickness under the sun with no issues. Would I like a Hobart, sure, who wouldn't. But with my meager means I was pleasantly surprised with my $70 unit, and still am. Happy hunting whatever you decide!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced meat slicer? It will be used to slice lunch meat and the occasional corned beef turned pastrami. Thanks for any help.

If that's is all you'll be using it for then there is no need to spend alot of $$ . I have an old cheap arse slicer similar to the one Smoking Piney posted and for my occasional corned beef or whatever it works just fine. I just can't justify spending alot of money for something a don't use often and it does what I need it to do.

The key to slicing really thin is to partially freeze the meat before splicing, or at least have it really cold.

The key to slicing really thin is to partially freeze the meat before splicing, or at least have it really cold.

That's what I do, never had an issue. Oh and yes, you should adjust the slicer for the thickness you want, thought that was kind of a given.

Even the cheap slicers will adjust thin, they don't stop at any particular thickness.

It been a while since i used a cheap home use slicer, but the Cabela's slicer i had only went down to 1/16 which isn't thin enough for italian beef. It wasn't even that cheap, i think i payed $100 for it.

It been a while since i used a cheap home use slicer, but the Cabela's slicer i had only went down to 1/16 which isn't thin enough for italian beef. It wasn't even that cheap, i think i payed $100 for it.

The cheap arse one I have is a Tupperware one that my wife got for free many years ago. Nothing fancy to say the least but it works for the what I need it to do and can be adjusted down to zero thickness. I'd love to upgrade but I can't justify the reasonsony why I need to.

Back