THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew, doggone good looking ribs! I love how the Honey Chipotle Killer Bee goes with pork. The cabbage is an excellent idea as well. I may quarter one sometime and see how that goes. How did Dirty Bird taste on it?

Thanks Joedy! Sorry, I just saw this. To me adding the Dirty Bird I believe made the ribs a tad too salty. Don’t get me wrong, I’m more of a savory flavored person than sweet. It could have been the fat from the spares though. I usually do baby backs but decided to try something different. They were a little too fatty for my taste. I’ve used Dirty Bird alone on baby backs and liked it. :noidea: I did notice I liked the ribs the next day better.

Hi So you did get some flavor? I have the Rec Req 590 and use a smoke tube, but the smoke flavor is absent? I usually start out at extreme smoke/180 for the first 4 hrs. Tired different pellets flavors still can't get much smoke flavor IF any?

THanks DanB

In this cook the smoke flavor was very light. Most likely due to me using cherry pellets. But like I’ve mentioned before, 100% Hickory pellets seem to be the way to go if your wanting a heavier smoke flavor. BUT, you’re not gonna get the same flavor you’re use to when cooking with your WSM if that’s what your expecting. If you want that I’d recommend trying the char-hickory pellets from lumberjack. I’ve never tried them but they are 60% Hickory and 40% charcoal so that could help too. Ultimately though, you may be looking for something different than you can get from the pellet cooker.

Back