THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok folks the cabbage is done. Tastes really good but I think I’d like to experiment with it more. I sliced it up and added a little more dirty bird.
Hope you enjoyed the show!

Edit: Great my last two pictures are giant again.

UPoukTV.jpg

wMWHhBM.jpg

It all looks fantastic Andrew!!!

The cabbage takes longer than you think but yers looks KILLER!!! Now you’ve got me wanting some today...

Great job all around Andrew. Because I am cheap when it's cold out I throw an old towel or two over my 680 and it really seems to aid in keeping the warmth in.

Ok folks the cabbage is done. Tastes really good but I think I’d like to experiment with it more. I sliced it up and added a little more dirty bird.
Hope you enjoyed the show!

Edit: Great my last two pictures are giant again.

UPoukTV.jpg

wMWHhBM.jpg

The cabbage looks great. I’ve tried a few different things with it. My favorite is to, cut it in half down the core or leave it whole. Then put it directly on the coals, caveman style. The half cooks in about 20-30 minutes and the whole is about an hour. Just cook until you can put a skewer through it fairly easily. Then scrape off the outer burnt leaves and serve with sauce of some sort. I have also tried coring it, stuffing the cabbage with a bacon, onion, bbq sauce mix and setting on the grill with indirect heat for about an hour or so. I haven’t tried smoking a whole cabbage but heard it can take 2-3 hours. Just go until it’s tender. I have tried shredding the cabbage along with carrots, celery and seasonings to make a slaw and smoked the tray. Took about 45 minutes and worked great served with pulled pork.

The cabbage looks great. I’ve tried a few different things with it. My favorite is to, cut it in half down the core or leave it whole. Then put it directly on the coals, caveman style. The half cooks in about 20-30 minutes and the whole is about an hour. Just cook until you can put a skewer through it fairly easily. Then scrape off the outer burnt leaves and serve with sauce of some sort. I have also tried coring it, stuffing the cabbage with a bacon, onion, bbq sauce mix and setting on the grill with indirect heat for about an hour or so. I haven’t tried smoking a whole cabbage but heard it can take 2-3 hours. Just go until it’s tender. I have tried shredding the cabbage along with carrots, celery and seasonings to make a slaw and smoked the tray. Took about 45 minutes and worked great served with pulled pork.

Thanks! I plan to keep experimenting. I may quarter it next time, not sure, but I’ll definitely make it again. I had mine on for 6 hours. :shocked:

Core the cabbage, stuff it with butter and chopped up sausage, season, smoke for an hour, put it in a pan with a can of chicken or beef broth, foil and go 2 more hours. My traditional New Year’s day cook.

Thanks for the tips. I was actually wondering about a broth. The picture you posted looks great!

Andrew, doggone good looking ribs! I love how the Honey Chipotle Killer Bee goes with pork. The cabbage is an excellent idea as well. I may quarter one sometime and see how that goes. How did Dirty Bird taste on it?

The dang cabbage is still not quite done. Here’s a pic of the ribs after slicing. They had a mild smoke flavor and were very good! I figured the smoke would be mild because I had cherry pellets in the cooker. Cherry is mild anyway, I’ll probably stick to the hickory pellets, but I wanted to experiment. The smoke flavor was definitely there and the only way I can describe it is a “clean” smoke flavor. Anyway I’ll get a pic of the cabbage when it finishes but it’s not gonna be as pretty as the ribs. :biggrin1:

HIN5kUj.jpg

Hi So you did get some flavor? I have the Rec Req 590 and use a smoke tube, but the smoke flavor is absent? I usually start out at extreme smoke/180 for the first 4 hrs. Tired different pellets flavors still can't get much smoke flavor IF any?

THanks DanB

Back