Food processor?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I don't own a food processor. I have a blender and a couple small "pulse grinders". The blender is for liquids (daiquiris) and the grinders turn everything to mush. Think "minced".

I'm considering getting my first food processor. I'd like to chop, shred, slice etc. and make pizza dough, which I've seen videos of. Looks easy.

I cook for one and don't need a 14 quart monster. Looking for maybe 6 - 7 quarts? Anybody have recommendations or tips on what to look for?

Thanks.

I bought this one 3 years ago. Don't let the price fool you, it's an older model. After 3 years, still works like new, and at that price I'm almost tempted to order a spare. Powerful, does it all, and I prefer the knobs to the modern electronic stuff - better control of what you're doing, trust me. You can get the exact results you want this way. Worth looking into. Good luck in your search.Nutrichef.jpg

My mother had a fancy big Cuisinart one with all the accessories. Sat for years, and didn't touch it. Recently gifted to us and I made beef fat tortillas with it. Color me impressed. No idea how much $$$ my mom spent on it...but knowing her...it was expensive.

We have the ninja blender for a long while and that thing is great for smaller projects. what I made my homemade salsa with.

I love my Cuisinart, however, my wife just bought the Ninja Kitchen System on Prime day.
This thing is awesome. It is about to replace my blender and the food processor!
here's a link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ninja-Ki...A2TVF61D1ghbAFpDYS8aAp2yEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I could never wrap my mind around how a food processor could be used to make dough. Seeing the Ninja attachment, I can now see. Have had food processors but never one with a kneading attachment. I use a Cuisinart mixer with dough hook but it is large and needs assistance with smaller quantities of dough.

Whichever one you decide on, make sure it includes a dicing plate. It makes life so much easier when you have a large amount of vegetables that need dicing.

What is dicing? The 7 qt. Cuisinart referenced above comes with these:

INCLUDED: Chopping/mixing/dough blade, stainless steel medium shredding disc, medium slicing disc (4mm), detachable disc stem, compact flat cover, spatula, with small and large pushers – Instruction/Recipe Book

Cuisinart

I cant help on the smaller size, but i have the 14 cup Cuisinart and love it. It's been flawless for the 9 years I've owned it.

I know they make a 7 cup version. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-10SY-Classic-7-Cup-Processor/dp/B01AXM4SB6
I will vote on this too...get the Cuisinart.

And if you can, go ahead and get the 14cup one....especially if you want to make pizza dough, etc.

Get the best and I've had 2 units over like the past 35+ years...and I only replaced that one because after Katrina, my stuff was in storage for a couple years and I needed a food processor while I was bouncing around all over...till I settled down and got my stuff out of storage.

That one, once I found it, still worked...I believe I gave it to someone that needed one.

cayenne

I believe in single takers for appliances...because things that "do everything"...never do each individual thing really great.

Food Processor == Cuisinart
Blender == Vitamix
Stand Mixer == Kitchen Aid (biggest one you can deal with)
Toaster (Convection) Oven = Bienville Smart Oven

I'd rather wait and save to get the best I can and have it perform great AND last long...rather than get cheaper stuff or things that purport to be multi-takers.

Oh well...that's my rant.

C

Pizza dough can be frozen so I'd vote for at least a 12 cup processor if that is your goal. We have one but honestly it is infrequently used. Fortunately, we have a large pantry to store it - I am not going to have any more tools taking up counterspace. We use ours to slice up apples for strudel. Our Kitchen Aid stand mixer is much more frequently used and we do have a dough hook but we also have a bread maker which can be used to make dough for pizzas. It is funny to see Kitchen appliance trends come and go. I think the current fad is air fryers and yes, we have one of those, too. Lastly, unless you are going to use one alot, buy a middling processor from Walmart.

I recently picked up a 7cup Kitchenaid for free with points from some sort of recognition program at work. Does what I need it to do.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KFP0718ER-7-Cup-Processor-Puree/dp/B07CB25BRK/

I was looking at that one too. Right now I'm leaning toward the 7 qt. Cuisinart.

I don't have any available counter space and don't have a "pantry". My storage cabinets are full. This would live under a cover on top of my fridge. Weight and size are a consideration.

My mother had a fancy big Cuisinart one with all the accessories. Sat for years, and didn't touch it. Recently gifted to us and I made beef fat tortillas with it. Color me impressed. No idea how much $$$ my mom spent on it...but knowing her...it was expensive.

We have the ninja blender for a long while and that thing is great for smaller projects. what I made my homemade salsa with.

I was right... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L4K6JN2/ref=sbl_dpx_kitchen-blenders_B00VLX6M5M_0

my mom gave me a big kitchenaid food processor and it's awesome. she had it for years and never used it, so i ended up with it. i've made all kinds of sauces and dressings, chopped/shred cabbage for coleslaw, made some apple butter and cherry jam with it last weekend. new, the set is probably $4-500. but i've seen them used on ebay for around $100 or less. it's a pretty heavy duty machine and weights a good 25lbs. but i'm sure the smaller versions work pretty good as well.

Got a great deal on a new 14 cup KA years ago. Came with all the stuff, including the dicing setup...my intent was it would be great for making pasty. Gotten real lazy since about prepping and cooking. Think I've only used the KA twice since purchasing. Never tried the dicer.

Bought a Vitamix ~20 years ago. Used that a lot. So much, the spline on the base unit got chewed up and no longer connected correctly with the splines on the pitchers. Inquired with Vitamix about getting the base repaired. They offered a deal. Sent me a new Vitamix with trade-in of my old base for $200. Full boat, including new pitcher, lid, and stir stick.

What is dicing? The 7 qt. Cuisinart referenced above comes with these:

INCLUDED: Chopping/mixing/dough blade, stainless steel medium shredding disc, medium slicing disc (4mm), detachable disc stem, compact flat cover, spatula, with small and large pushers – Instruction/Recipe Book

That will meet your needs just fine.

I went for the Vitamix Ascent series, that let me also get a food processor that fits on the base. Previously I had a similarly sized Cuisinart, but the bowl broke where the lid latched on, and when Cuisnart sent me a replacement that didn't fit, I was just over it.

I like it. I don't do detail work with it, and I don't use all the slicing and shredding attachments too much. I have a shredder attachment that goes on the front of my Kitchenaid Mixer that has been great (I actually have 2, so I don't have to stop and wash) and I also have their processing attachment that hooks on the front. That one does an AMAZING 1/4 dice, so it's fantastic if you need diced carrots, but seems limited past that.

I've not yet found a good device (powered or manual) that is good at dicing larger sizes. I often need to dice 10lbs of sweet potatoes, and that's a real bummer to do by fully by hand with a knife. If the kitchenaid had that setup in various sizes, I'd buy each and every one of them.

Back