Taking Good Food Pics?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonathan
Anyone have some basic tips for taking good food pics?

It frustrates me to no end......making up an amazing bbq feast, and then, when it comes time to take the pics, I make it look abominable.

Just wondering if anyone in here has some basic tips on good plating, lighting, angles, etc. I'm using an iPhone for pics btw.

OR have you been especially helped by a particular article, app, or basic (short/cheap) course online on this topic? Would love recommendations.

Thanks!

(I know I could simply Google this......but I'm looking for testimonials from bbq brethren here on what's worked well for YOU.)

There is a thread somewhere in the Throwdowns forum that discusses this. My Google-foo is failing me trying to locate it. Maybe Moose can point us to it.

Lighting makes the most difference. And the color of the plate and background can also make a difference. Avoid reflective surfaces when possible. Try taking the picture with the flash on and with it off. Sometimes no flash manages to be better. Also get someone with a phone to turn their flash on and have them hold it at different angle to the food while you take pictures with your phone. And if you want to go crazy, buy a photo light tent and put the food in that when taking the picture.

Link to Rule Of Thirds photography

https://photographylife.com/the-rule-of-thirds

I attempt to always follow the rule of thirds. Think of your lens view as a hashtag, tic tac toe. Think of the center X. Now do not place your main theme inside the center square. Unless you are taking a mugshot or have to get a fast photo with a dangerous critter, keep the main subject offset and outside the center X, or just barely touching.

I just took this. I want my main focus to be the burnt ends of the bones. Offset photos emphasize the purpose subject

Last edited:
Anyone have some basic tips for taking good food pics?

It frustrates me to no end......making up an amazing bbq feast, and then, when it comes time to take the pics, I make it look abominable.

Just wondering if anyone in here has some basic tips on good plating, lighting, angles, etc. I'm using an iPhone for pics btw.

OR have you been especially helped by a particular article, app, or basic (short/cheap) course online on this topic? Would love recommendations.

Thanks!

(I know I could simply Google this......but I'm looking for testimonials from bbq brethren here on what's worked well for YOU.)

Just curious - what kind of camera do you use, or are planning to use? Or do you rely on a mobile phone camera?

I ask as the optics on better phones can take startlingly good photos. I have an iPhone 13 and haven't used my DSLR and fancy lenses in almost 2 years!

The photo tip thread that just got posted is a good place to start as it relates to basics etc.

I have exclusively used mobile phones the 11 years I've been on here. Used all Android phones until the past year when I switched to Iphone 13 Pro Max. All did great in their time and obviously they get better and better. I find the single important thing on great pics is the lighting. Then you play with the angles or details you want to caputure to get your desired shots. You get better in time though my dad still kicks my ass anytime since he's a professional photographer. :becky: He will take the same shots and easily win but he's been in the game for 50 years. Some guys here are also pros is what I'm saying.

Outside natural light is my favorite

SjwYbOdh.jpg

Thanks for bringing this up! I feel like I am the same what with my photos. Compound it with I usually have at least 5 people waiting to eat and everything is rushed. It certainly shows in my photos.

Many moons ago, I went to college for film. Should probably channel my inner Director of Photography and bone up on it again.

I use an app called PhotoRoom that has been life changing for me. It does AI backgrounds on pictures, so I can take a quick shot on the table, or busy counter, and it will remove all of the noise, and put things on a dark counter top, or on a beach side picnic table, etc. I just make sure the photo is well lit, spin it a few times to get the angle I want, and then edit.

This REALLY helps when I'm in a time crunch (like to go and eat) so I can deal with the 'clean up' aspect later.

It lets me do great 'in progress' cook shots, too. I actually took a photo of my stove all nice and pristine, and then can insert that in the background, so I don't have to worry about 'oops I spilled some sauce over there' etc. Just get a sharp clean photo. And the best part for me, is since I take/post 5+ food shots every week, they aren't the same stale backgrounds over and over.

I use an app called PhotoRoom that has been life changing for me. It does AI backgrounds on pictures, so I can take a quick shot on the table, or busy counter, and it will remove all of the noise, and put things on a dark counter top, or on a beach side picnic table, etc. I just make sure the photo is well lit, spin it a few times to get the angle I want, and then edit.

This REALLY helps when I'm in a time crunch (like to go and eat) so I can deal with the 'clean up' aspect later.

It lets me do great 'in progress' cook shots, too. I actually took a photo of my stove all nice and pristine, and then can insert that in the background, so I don't have to worry about 'oops I spilled some sauce over there' etc. Just get a sharp clean photo. And the best part for me, is since I take/post 5+ food shots every week, they aren't the same stale backgrounds over and over.

I'm intrigued - can you share a few sample pics you've used PhotoRoom to enhance?

So you mean the only thing in this pic that is yours is the food?

From my own experience, try to combine what you want into a small area so you can take as close up as possible. This sucks when you really want to showcase garnish, or w/e, but in the end, its a close up ( aka money shot ) that gets people attention.

Case in point, 4ever3's pic above. Plate...who needs a stink'n plate.

Back