Horseradish

Someone told me once to cut the bottom out of a 5 Gallon bucket, bury the bucket, fill with dirt and plant the horseradish in the bucket, supposedly keeps the roots from spreading and makes it manageable.

... once you plant it, you'll never get rid of it...

My dad planted a couple roots in the garden beside the house one year.

It would still be growing today had we not covered that garden with concrete.

That sure did the trick. The stuff never came back.

I've been growing some in a large pot for a few years with the intention of making horseradish. Purchased it at the Farmers Market for $1. The lady made sure to tell me don't plant it in the ground. I need to get to making some.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I planted a couple down in the valley and I have no concerns if it spreads as it has lots of room to spread before it becomes an issue...like a couple acres worth. Been in the ground for a couple years now, so will be digging some up next year and trying this. We like it hot, so may make a couple batches. Hot and cause hallucinations hot!

Last edited:
For something a little different, mix horseradish with sour cream and put it on beef (roast, steak, brisket, etc). The taste is better than just horseradish on its own.

Thanks for the tutorial! Buffalo has a locally known Beef on Weck sandwich, always served with horseradish. So even though we have a few varieties and buying options around here I am now going to have to make my own.

Seems I remember ordering some fruit trees or something from Stark Bros. years ago and the threw in some horseradish tubers. Lasted for years and I enjoyed making some. Contrary to what has been said, I am afraid my wife killed it to plant flowers. Hoping it resurrects next spring. Worst part of the job is getting the roots peeled.

Back