Taking Good Food Pics?

As others have said: composition, lighting, angle, all make a big difference.
And while a close up can really highlight the food, I believe some context adds another layer of interest. Show some of the grill, what knife are you using, where's the bottle of beer, etc. Of course, this is just my opinion.

:bow: Works for me. Just sharing my methods. I lead with a description of what I do, and provided examples when asked. I've never posted them here otherwise, or claimed to be an expert in photos. Not a single one of those doctored photos has been used in a throwdown or competition, but simply for my online marketing. If you don't like it...don't use it.

Well for starters, just my lighthearted approach to reply to the post.
The cheater aspect of it is the only real part of the picture is the food, using AI to change plates, tabletops, silverware, on and on seems to be less than straight forward.
However, you certainly don't need my permission nor admiration.
Carry on.
Ed

In my opinion...
I prefer pictures that aren't taken from straight above the plate.
But that's just me.

Just curious - what kind of camera do you use, or are planning to use? Or do you rely on a mobile phone camera?

I ask as the optics on better phones can take startlingly good photos. I have an iPhone 13 and haven't used my DSLR and fancy lenses in almost 2 years!

The photo tip thread that just got posted is a good place to start as it relates to basics etc.

Just my iPhone, and it is an older one (8 I think?). But it's not the photo quality I struggle with. It's the skill of the photographer and knowing how to plate and stage stuff.

Back