First post, help me make a call.

I can't speak to the others, but I have a YS640 and have had it for 5 years. I don't run a blanket in the winter and I live in the midwest. I have never had a problem with it running in cold weather. In my opinion, they will all take about the same time to warm up and settle in. It's just part of the process. I'm sure I use more pellets in the winter, but I can't quantify it, and it's not enough for me to really notice. I've also never had to repaint anything, but mine stays in the garage and I roll it out to cook on it. I would definitely recommend the comp cart if you plan to move it around at all.
I am a Yoder YS640 owner and I absolutely love it. By all means, get it with the competition cart. Its 450 pounds heavy but on the competition cart it moves easily. I've never had any issue with mine and it still looks as good as when we rolled it in to the back patio. I have the custom cover it comes with to keep the weather at bay.

Like many here have said, with the units you are considering you can't go wrong. They will all get the job done and look great doing it. This is one of many great choices.

picture.php

Are you sure that's correct? The Flame Zone is listed as a $400 option for the 1 Star on MAK's web site.

(Sorry to make this my first post on the forum without introducing myself. This is an amazing place, and I'm currently debating Yoder vs 1 Star vs 2 Star myself.)

Yes sir, the Funnel Flame Zone is now included on the 1 Stars. Went into effect about a month ago. Price went up $199, but the FFZ is now included. More bang for your buck w/ new pricing :)

https://makgrills.com/news/mak-grills-changes-pricing-in-2020/

Are you sure that's correct? The Flame Zone is listed as a $400 option for the 1 Star on MAK's web site.

(Sorry to make this my first post on the forum without introducing myself. This is an amazing place, and I'm currently debating Yoder vs 1 Star vs 2 Star myself.)
Welcome John.

Wow, thanks for all the great information, not just to you but to everyone.

To answer your questions rwalters...

- typically, just cooking for 2 adults and 2 kids, sometimes a grandparent or two
- entertain some, but not a lot; size is nice but not a huge consideration
- undecided on grilling; I love my Weber Performer but it would be nice to cut down to having only one large, inanimate object on the patio. I figured I would try out the smoker and see whether it was sufficient. Grill would certainly be a plus, and I would purpose the "grilling" add-on if going with the Blaz'n or the Yoder (looks like it's included with the Mak). As for grilling size, I think a smaller "zone" would be sufficient.

- Smoke production is not important to me, but very important to my wife. This is currently our (her) biggest reservation as to the Blaz'n, as I've read it's not as good as the others for smoke/flavor.

Other responses:
- Glad to hear about good performance in the cold. As I noted, that's a major consideration for us.

- I really wish the Mak looked better. It's just so...plain. I'm not buying this to show off, but at the same time, after seeing a Yoder in person it's a let-down to see that one of the other recommended options is just so utilitarian. Come on, I already drive a Subaru, can I at least get some flash on my grill?
- Thanks for the tip as to the removable fire pot for cleaning, I'll check that out.

I need to think hard about the smoke volume, as that may make the difference. That issue aside, my gut tells me to spend $1650 on a Blaz'n rather than $2300 on a Mak, but I'm still agonizing over this. At least I know any of the three will certainly meet my needs and it's just a matter of preference on a few things.

I am a Yoder YS640 owner and I absolutely love it. By all means, get it with the competition cart. Its 450 pounds heavy but on the competition cart it moves easily. I've never had any issue with mine and it still looks as good as when we rolled it in to the back patio. I have the custom cover it comes with to keep the weather at bay.

Like many here have said, with the units you are considering you can't go wrong. They will all get the job done and look great doing it. This is one of many great choices.

picture.php
That competition cart is great looking, isn't it?

So is the consensus that it's easier to move with the comp cart even with the extra weight? Seems like on a unit that expensive/heavy, putting another extra $20 of manufacturing cost into some bigger wheels would be a consideration for them. (unless the goal is to sell by comp carts, that is...)

Wow, thanks for all the great information, not just to you but to everyone.

To answer your questions rwalters...

- typically, just cooking for 2 adults and 2 kids, sometimes a grandparent or two
- entertain some, but not a lot; size is nice but not a huge consideration
- undecided on grilling; I love my Weber Performer but it would be nice to cut down to having only one large, inanimate object on the patio. I figured I would try out the smoker and see whether it was sufficient. Grill would certainly be a plus, and I would purpose the "grilling" add-on if going with the Blaz'n or the Yoder (looks like it's included with the Mak). As for grilling size, I think a smaller "zone" would be sufficient.

- Smoke production is not important to me, but very important to my wife. This is currently our (her) biggest reservation as to the Blaz'n, as I've read it's not as good as the others for smoke/flavor.

Other responses:
- Glad to hear about good performance in the cold. As I noted, that's a major consideration for us.

- I really wish the Mak looked better. It's just so...plain. I'm not buying this to show off, but at the same time, after seeing a Yoder in person it's a let-down to see that one of the other recommended options is just so utilitarian. Come on, I already drive a Subaru, can I at least get some flash on my grill?
- Thanks for the tip as to the removable fire pot for cleaning, I'll check that out.

I need to think hard about the smoke volume, as that may make the difference. That issue aside, my gut tells me to spend $1650 on a Blaz'n rather than $2300 on a Mak, but I'm still agonizing over this. At least I know any of the three will certainly meet my needs and it's just a matter of preference on a few things.

I won’t cheerlead for any particular brand. I truly think you can’t go wrong with Mak, Yoder, or BGW. All I’ll say is I haven’t had a second of remorse since I’ve owned my BGW Grand Slam. It’s by far the best made cooker I own and the build quality is second to none. We also own a Subaru. Maybe that’s why I have a BGW Grand Slam. Get it in red. :laugh:

Yes sir, the Funnel Flame Zone is now included on the 1 Stars. Went into effect about a month ago. Price went up $199, but the FFZ is now included. More bang for your buck w/ new pricing :)

https://makgrills.com/news/mak-grills-changes-pricing-in-2020/

Thanks for pointing me to that. MAK's website seems a little off then. When you click on the 2 Star, it lists the flamezone under the product quick-info. The 1 Star does not list the flamezone under product info but instead lists it as an accessory. You'd think MAK would make it clear on the product page that flamezone is included, unless flamezone was only included until May 1. I'll have to call before ordering.

Thanks for pointing me to that. MAK's website seems a little off then. When you click on the 2 Star, it lists the flamezone under the product quick-info. The 1 Star does not list the flamezone under product info but instead lists it as an accessory. You'd think MAK would make it clear on the product page that flamezone is included, unless flamezone was only included until May 1. I'll have to call before ordering.
This link gives a much better description. https://makgrills.com/product/one-star-general/

This link gives a much better description. https://makgrills.com/product/one-star-general/

Yep, Kevin’s link will take ya to the right spot. Agree though, there’s some minor room for improvement on MAK’s website.

Thanks. That's the exact link that caused my confusion. Why would they not list the flamezone as a product feature when they make a big deal about it for the 2 Star? Maybe they didn't update the web site to match the press release? Not a big deal because I'll obviously figure it out before ordering, but I'm much more like to order the 2 Star if the price difference including the flamezone is $600 versus $1000.

Back