Do you use lighter fluid?

Come to my house one night when I am lazy. I have two pits. One has a gas assist that I leave on some nights... we will see then if you cannot taste the gas. I can taste bbq cooked in an electric pit (easiest), a pellet pit (not bad, very little evidence), a charcoal pit like a spice wine, and a gas pit... BUT... that's because I use all natural sticks. If lighter fluid is used sparingly and properly, you cannot taste it. Take that from a guy that doesn't use it. LOL

I haven't ever used a gas assist, but I was only talking about propane for the sole purpose of lighting charcoal. I can taste the difference in grilled food where propane is used, however.

I'm happy to say that I've never used fluid in my life! And there needs to be a halo or angel smiley here. :becky:

"I am more proud at the stellar quality of my Q rather than the dogmatic, rigid and irrelevant omissions it took me to get there."

Popdaddy Lyrics to "Days of Wyld" 1977

I think most will come out against lighter fluid. I use an oiled paper towel, a torch or a chimney.
Remember, alcohol is a poison and I use that - without even putting it on the grill!

I wonder how Tequila would do as a fire starter...
I know it gets some people going. :wink:

Last edited:
My granddad would roll over in his grave if I ever used lighter fluid. I think that is really the only reason I don't: he taught me to cook steaks and swore against lighter fluid so vehemently that I thought it was manufactured by the devil himself!

I used a half a can of lighter fluid tonight. The smell makes me sick but its only for my firepit and no food gets near the stuff.

Never use ligthter fluid, I prefer kerosene or pieces of an old tractor tire to start my pit.

Actually I use a chimney starter and pieces torn of off my previous used Kingsford charcoal bag. The brown paper thats doubled on the inside works great.

Rarely, but sometimes I use it. Heck.....I used it just last weekend. The ground was a bit ulevel at camp, so.....
IMG_3644.jpg

I have skipped past all the comments because I pretty much know what people are going to say. So... I thought I would spend a few paragraphs explaining what a simple sentence would.

I sat down one day and listened to a guy talk about how he was a master at BBQ and how one should never ever use lighter fluid. I waited silently as he went on and on and knew there would be the claim that he could detect the use of lighter fluid in a morsel of bbq. In my BBQ old age I am getting more and more winded at explaining things to people like this and often exit the conversation without ever revealing my credentials on the subject.

But then Boshizzle I think said something funny in another post about using two half filled charcoal chimneys instead of one completely filled one. I laughed then hit this thread.

As we have discussed barbecue idiosyncrasies here many times the rule is.... perhaps it might. Perhaps dry wood can produce better results than wet wood (soaking) perhaps bark affects taste negatively, perhaps foiling is detrimental or cheating, perhaps low and slow is best, perhaps hot and fast will ruin cue, and now, perhaps lighter fluid should not be used.

It really depends what idiot is using it and what type of equipment the idiot is using and lastly, what the idiot does once he lights it.

For instance, I can take a bag of presoaked charcoal, use green wood and if I am not an idiot, you will never know. How? In my Brazos Pit, while keeping every door open, I will light the bag in my 4 foot by 4 foot firebox I will start the fire, then place 40 pounds of regualr charcoal on that and several bark on sticks to build a roaring fire. At a good time, I shut the pit up and bring it to 375... then when I see fit... put 700 pounds of meat on. (the meat naturally settles my pit down to 275.

Now the guy that tosses that bag on his Spicewine... ?????????

As everyone knows or used to know I use an on board gas assist (on my Meat Mama 3000) or butcher paper AND old fryer grease (on my Brazos) most of the time to wick my start up fire. But have I used lighter fluid to start my Weber? yep! So the hell what... I just refuse to put the lid on until I know its gone...

We all saw Myron use lighter fluid, cook with green wood at 350 or so (breaking three old rules simultaneously) to basically make this same kind of commentary. Perhaps it may make a difference.

Here is where it will make a differnece. If you use too much fluid for your pit and the pit is too unforgiving (small) and close up too soon before its gone... hell yes... you are an idiot and should not be using it.

Donnie,

I don't know whether I like reading you, or watching your avatar dance, better. Right now, I think it's the avatar. You see... watching a real athelete move has always been like poetry in motion, to me.

BTW: we asked Myron about the lighter fluid and wood during class.

After his "stand pat" answer ('that's what the hell it's for') he pretty much repeated what you just did. His peach though, is never green. It's always seasoned, and he tells his students to soak it before use.

never ever use it. newspaper in chimney or propane burner for my turkey fryer. with the propane it takes all of 3-4 min to get her goin'.

I use to use it....but not anymore. The problem with most people around where I live using it is....they never let it burn off completely, they just add more because they have to see a flame flaring up...and they seem to have a missing eyebrow fetish I suppose. And the food....I don't even have to say it. I use my Weber chimney.

Personally don't use it, stinks too bad for me to be around it, but it is just a tool and if properly used then that's OK. The best I've seen it used in-correctly was this episode. We were at a small Jazz festival in Salem, MA. There was a guy with a Weber kettle near by. He pours in the Match-Lite. Then sprays on some lighter fluid. Lights it up. 30 seconds later, still flaming and stinky, on goes the cover. Food must have been delicious but we did not stay to find out. We moved to another location very quickly.

I don't use fluid myself. I guess if you know how to use it, well it's ok. I just find it cheaper to use the newpaper or the liner from the charcoal bag in the chimney. I do a lot of stick cooking too, so fluid doesn't really have a place for me since I'm building a fire anyway.

Donnie,

I don't know whether I like reading you, or watching your avatar dance, better. Right now, I think it's the avatar. You see... watching a real athelete move has always been like poetry in motion, to me.

BTW: we asked Myron about the lighter fluid and wood during class.

After his "stand pat" answer ('that's what the hell it's for') he pretty much repeated what you just did. His peach though, is never green. It's always seasoned, and he tells his students to soak it before use.

During Pitmasters when I saw him literally get some peachwood from a freshly cut tree I much have assumed the tree was unseasoned and green. Seriously, I have smoked with wood known as "green" as I cut down a tree that had been dead that year and immediately used it for bbq. We call that Green, as it had not been cut into billets, split and seasoned. It tales a long time for a standing tree to transfer the sugars when its erect.

This is from memory. I just saw it and thought it was remarkable. However, I always viewed MM as the John Henry of the BBQ world.

We use it to light a fire, but with our gigantic smoker, it takes almost an hour for the whole thing to heat up enough to start putting food in it. I'm pretty sure any vestiges of lighter fluid have long since burned off by that time.

That being said, yes, I use it at home too. It won't flavor your food if you let it all burn off first, and don't overuse it.

Back