Do you use lighter fluid?

Pitmaster T, self-declared Funkmaster South [Texas; south? I think NOT], pretty much hit it.

I dont use it to cook with. I do use it to light the nice pit fires in the back yard... A long time ago I'd use it with my Webers, but I'm never in that much of a rush any more... When I did, I knew how to use it and you wouldnt taste it whatsoever. With that said, I judged a comp last weekend; one of the entries had a distinct lighter-fluid taste, and it ended up very close to DAL. Was it because he used lighter fluid? I would argue the answer is NO, it was because he didnt know what he was doing.

BTW, newspaper ink is pretty safe these days. Since 1985, it has been only carbon black...non-toxic. So no one should even be able to tell you that newspapers will kill you. If they do, refer them to me. I'll fend 'em off. Use a chimney starter. Or a torch. Or anything that ISN'T lighter fluid.

colored newspaper ink is not ok, it is still banned from organic compost

I used to use it all the time, and never had any problems with left over smell. Then I read a hint on here about using cooking oil on a paper towel and have used that method since. About a good tablespoon on a paper towel wrapped in another paper towel, and lit under my chimney. Ola, fire in a juffy, ready to dump on the unlit coals or briqs ala minion method. Much quicker than using lighter fluid, and cheaper! YMMV

If it's good enough for Myron Mixon, it's good enough for me.

Seriously, I've eaten pulled pork prepared by a guy who thinks using lighter fluid is a crime. He also seems to think cleaning his smoker is a crime too. I'll put my results up against his any time.

I put chimney on side burner. I think Ill try the newspaper oil method to save on propane.

IMG00839-20111008-1625.jpg

Using the weed burner is my preferred way to light lump charcoal in the BGE.

I use it. I use it to light charcoal (just part of it) and that lights the rest of it in my chimney and that gets added to the basket for a minion method start. Any and all fumes or hazardous products in the fluid burn off long before the fluid-added charcoal gets anywhere near the rest of the unlit charcoal or the meat. It's quick and simple. No mess to clean up afterwards.

Someone ran a poll here a while back and I believe 98% or better are against using starter fluid. Whatever method you choose, it's all about what works for you.

same here.
IF i use it i'll squirt a dab on a few chunks & light it off(i use a bbq wok for a coal basket) on top of the smoker & hit it w/ a hair dryer or fan if it's not windy out-my wife says it looks like the olympic torch. when i have most of the coals going i'll add a couple chunks w/ 1/2 a unlit chimney & put it in the smoker. by the time the meat hits it the stuff is long since gone & i'm basically doing a wood cook by then.

i only do this for home cooking-never caterings or comps.

Last edited:
Whats the difference between lighter fluid and all you guys trying to avoid it by using propane. Seams to me they are both in the petroleum family.

Lighter fluid leaves a nasty petrochemical smell and taste if the coals are not prepared right. Propane burns without a smell so it's practically foolproof if you want to skip the newspapers or fire starters. From what I've read, it lights the charcoal faster too if you have a good propane burner.

Lighter fluid leaves a nasty petrochemical smell and taste if the coals are not prepared right. Propane burns without a smell so it's practically foolproof if you want to skip the newspapers or fire starters. From what I've read, it lights the charcoal faster too if you have a good propane burner.

Come to my house one night when I am lazy. I have two pits. One has a gas assist that I leave on some nights... we will see then if you cannot taste the gas. I can taste bbq cooked in an electric pit (easiest), a pellet pit (not bad, very little evidence), a charcoal pit like a spice wine, and a gas pit... BUT... that's because I use all natural sticks. If lighter fluid is used sparingly and properly, you cannot taste it. Take that from a guy that doesn't use it. LOL

Back