Dickie's BBQ

I came away from our lunch at DFW airport very impressed. It's real bbq. Most surprised by the pork. The sides were forgettable.

I ate at the one in Farmer's Branch, TX more than a few times, always between 12-1 when the place was very busy. The brisket, hot sausage, and beans were very good IMO, also the mac&cheese. I think BBQ places are best about an hour +/- after the lunch rush starts.

Now I'm in Greenville, NC. There's a Dickey's here, and it's a joke. Edible, but. This is down east North Carolina, and there's at least five places here that put Dickey's to shame. To shame! No good brisket here, though, just great pork. - old school whole hog. Got to drive a half hour down to Adams in Goldsboro for brisket - outstanding, and worth the effort.

In order of bad in DFW--- Spring Creek, Dickies, and Sonny Bryan's. I finally wandered into Angelo's in Fort Worth, maybe it was an off day, but it was mediocre at best. If I want mediocre in town, I'll go to Smoke Pit, BBQ with a good view. Cousin's is a local chain and it isn't outstanding but it's consistent and it shows they care about what they are doing.

Cousin's is a local chain and it isn't outstanding but it's consistent and it shows they care about what they are doing.

i love cousins chopped brisket sandwiches...its what i grew up on and i believe they are incredible. love their sauce too

i love cousins chopped brisket sandwiches...its what i grew up on and i believe they are incredible. love their sauce too

Their side bar (onions, fresh pickle, peppers, etc), and sides are the best I've had at a BBQ joint. And their BBQ is consistent, so Cousin's is always a solid proposition.

Only knock is most of the locations don't have the old time BBQ joint feel, too well lit and too clean. For a smokey, beer serving BBQ joint, I hit the Railhead.

It's decent BBQ and fairly consistent in quality, at least here in Texas. I wouldn't call it great, but that happens when a good BBQ joint becomes a chain. It is better than most chain outfits though..

Their side bar (onions, fresh pickle, peppers, etc), and sides are the best I've had at a BBQ joint. And their BBQ is consistent, so Cousin's is always a solid proposition.

Only knock is most of the locations don't have the old time BBQ joint feel, too well lit and too clean. For a smokey, beer serving BBQ joint, I hit the Railhead.

ahhh yes the side bar is amazing...the onions are always super crisp. ive only been to bryant irvin and mccart locations(mccart is the original and i think bryant irvin might be the 2nd location). lol i will say ive never heard anyone complain about the cleanliness of a restaurant before..thats pretty odd....but those 2 locations seem ok to me. but yea railhead is pretty good although last time i went there the chopped brisket had quite a few pieces of rock hard bark that was unchewable in it lol. other than that both places are really good.

ahhh yes the side bar is amazing...the onions are always super crisp. ive only been to bryant irvin and mccart locations(mccart is the original and i think bryant irvin might be the 2nd location). lol i will say ive never heard anyone complain about the cleanliness of a restaurant before..thats pretty odd....but those 2 locations seem ok to me. but yea railhead is pretty good although last time i went there the chopped brisket had quite a few pieces of rock hard bark that was unchewable in it lol. other than that both places are really good.

No knock on cleanliness at all, it just doesn't have the hole in the wall look. Shows they care about what they are doing and not just riding on a name for years like some places I've been to.

Railhead brisket is hit or miss somedays, but still perfectly edible with a little sauce. Pork ribs seem to be their forte. And I love smelling like hickory the rest of the day after lunch!

ya, fast food bbq

You been to dickies alot with friends who dont know good bbq, just to be social...Cant stand the place...pulled pork sandwich just to make it edible. The sides bar is nice though...

Had Dickies catered once. Being truly optimistic and giving them the benefit of the doubt, every thing was dog food at best except the chopped brisket which was surprisingly ok.

A franchise is only as good as the person operating it.

Lemme give a Wisconsin impression of Dickey's:

I live in Sheboygan, which like most of Wisconsin is full of fast food options with the occasional decent restaurant. Having a BBQ restaurant in this town is a real breath of fresh air. I personally love having them as an option in my town. Most of the time I don't go out for fast food. If I hit a restaurant, it's usually a sit down place that's locally owned. Sometimes I need a BBQ fix that's spur of the moment. If I haven't got the time to put a set of spares or a shoulder on the Primo, Dickey's definitely satisfies the fix.

Having said that, my Q is MUCH better than Dickey's can put together. Their pulled pork is usually overdone, brisket and ribs are dry, but their honey ham makes a pretty good sandwich. I haven't had any of the other meats. IMO, all their sides are great!

Personally I would hate to see them go under in my area. I like the option. I go maybe once a month, but when I do business is pretty light unfortunately. I'm annoyed by this because this damn state is so stuck in its ways when it comes to eating. If it's not deep fried, it's not gonna make it.

Back