Dickie's BBQ

It's okay for a quick bbq fix. Here in so ca there are not many options, would love to live in TX where I could get great Q all the time. Big mista and bloudso are good but also 45 mins away.

I have a good friend who was intrigued by BBQ but didn't know how to make it and we don't have a lot of options here on the Tundra. He thought Dicky's was his only call, and it is 55 minutes away. I found him a well used Weber kettle for a few bucks, a Weber chimney, got him some KBB and a little apple wood, and some spares. I wrote up a 2 1/2 -1 - 1 recipe on a note card. He does not go to Dicky's anymore.

If it's the same Dickey's as in Dallas/Fort Worth.... No good. The one closest to me went out of business.

Does this place have good BBQ? I'm always excited when a new joint opens in town.

(Laguna Niguel, CA) Dickey’s Barbecue chairman, Roland Dickey will visit California to celebrate the opening of the brand’s newest location in Laguna Niguel. The new fast casual barbecue option opens on Thursday, January 15 with a three-day grand opening. Mr. Dickey stops by on Friday to hand out free copies of his cookbook, [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Dick...0066cc]Mr. Dickey’s Barbecue Cookbook[/COLOR].
“We’re thrilled to have Mr. Dickey in Laguna Niguel celebrating our new location and our guests will love meeting the man behind the barbecue,” said multi-unit owner, Stephen Huerth. “We opened our first location in 2013 and we’ve loved working with the Dickey’s brand and getting to know the community.”
Thursday, January 15

• The first 50 dine in guests receive gift cards ranging between $5 and $50.
Friday, January 16

• From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mr. Dickey stops by to hand out 100 autographed cookbooks. During the event, one lucky winner will be chosen for a $500 gift card and three winners will receive free barbecue for an entire year. Guests can grab $2 pulled pork barbecue sandwiches. Radio station Go Country 105 will also be on-site.
Saturday, January 17

• Guests can beef up their barbecue gear when the store offers t-shirts, koozies, sunglasses and more.
The Huerths also own the Dickey’s Barbecue in Brea. The new restaurant in Laguna Niguel is located at 27931 La Paz Road and the phone number is 949.349.0346. Stay up-to-date with this location on Facebook.

I had not heard of Dickeys until someone from the company contacted me about a job opportunity with them...
This was 2 years ago.

I posted this thinking one of the Brethren might be interested in the job. It wasn't received well. :laugh: Not many Dickeys fans here.
I just wondered if Roland Dickey is the spokesman now.

Not sure where to post this.
Was contacted by Lauren Hill at Dickey's BBQ Restaurants in Dallas.
They are looking for someone by the 15th of this month.

Here is more info...

Quote:
I work at Dickey's Barbecue Pit, and we are looking for a Pit Master, also a face of the brand. This person will travel to BBQ competitions and festivals around the country, promoting our brand and working with any media outlets. I didn't know if this was something you would be interested in or could either post on your blog or if you knew other avenues I could contact. I'd really appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks so much!
Lauren

and...

Quote:

Hi Jeanie-

That’s great! You can actually have them contact me. We are looking to have this position filled by 7/15 so a very quick turnaround, so contacting me asap would be best. Make sure they know it will be a full-time position with Dickey’s and will require a lot of traveling.

Thanks for your help!!
Lauren

Lauren Hunt
Marketing Manager
Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants, Inc.
4514 Cole Avenue, Suite 1015
Dallas, Texas 75205
www.dickeys.com
Office: 972-248-9899

Might be a good opportunity for someone. Just wanted to pass this on to the Brethren... there are some amazing pit masters here!

I go occasionally when I need a fix and don't have the time or inclination to do a cook myself. Lunch the other day (before Christmas) was $15 and I got a combo of briskey, sausage and a rib or two. Beans and greens. Big Yellow Cup O' Sweet Tea. Some dry cornbread.

Brisket was actually pretty good, but lacked any smoke. Nice texture. Ribs were actually good. Sausage had been in the warming cabinet far too long. Cornbread was crumbly. Sides weren't remarkable, but weren't bad. As someone else mentioned, sauces are really pretty good. I'd give the whole meal a B-. Nothing exceptional, but it scratched the itch for the time being.

As for those who say Famous Dave's is so much better, mine isn't. You all must be the lucky ones. So far, I'm not overly pleased with any franchise-chain BBQ. There are some owner-owned chains on the other hand which I think are pretty good for what they are. Urban BBQ and Mission BBQ in DC/MD/VA are good and VooDoo in Louisiana/SC and FL are pretty good.

And comparing FD to Dickey's is kind of like comparing On the Border or Chuy's to Chipotle or Qdoba or Moe's. Very different market segments. In any case, I wouldn't depend on them (or Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill, for that matter) for serious specialty segment food.

If you go to a well stocked grocery store's meat or deli department you'll find little tubs of pulled pork already cooked and mixed with BBQ sauce, pick one of those up along with a pack of hamburger buns, microwave the pork until it's hot and make some sammiches. That is about the same quality of the Dickie's Q that I've had and it's a LOT less expensive!:wink:

I don't buy Q anywhere. Ever. If I'm eatin it and I didn't cook it, then one of my buddies did, or a family member. Not a snobby attitude at all, I'm not judging anything, or talkin down to places or people. It's just my passion; And buying bbq somewhere just doesn't "click" for me. What the hell would I do on the weekends?? :grin::confused: Let us know if ya get any good recipes out of the book.

I don't know all of the Q chains out there, but in TX Dickey's is close to the bottom in my opinion. If I just have to stop at any of the chains around here I usually hit up a Rudy's.

Round 2

Gave it another go today on day two of the three day grand opening...:
Go Country Music Radio was on hand from 11:00 to 1:00 along with Mr. and Mrs. Roland Dickey signing and handing out 100 free cook books, a $500 dollar gift cert. and several free BBQ for a year certs...Also $2.00 pulled pork sammiches...

I arrived around 10 minutes before the 11:00 AM opening only to find about 10 in line in front of me. Go Country folks were on hand doing their promo stuff. They opened and I walked in to meet Mr. and Mrs. Dickey signing and handing out the hard cover books. Had a nice and brief conversation with 'em. Nice folks as most from Texas are...

Didn't want to get gipped again so ordered 2 of the $2 max allowed pulled pork sammies and two sides:

The whole Brisket and ribs sure looked nice on the order counter although. I guess it pays to go early. Anyway, took the order to go to share with my wife. The burger bun was nice and fresh with a good light toast to it. A nice handful of pulled pig that was a little dry but OK overall. Topped with a few rings of fresh onion and a couple of slices of pickle. Yes, it was dry but the tasty original sauce made up for it.

The sides were not bad. The green beans, onion and bacon were good. The mashed potato casserole was OK. A little starchy, probably from dry flakes that were over mixed. Bacon bits mixed in and topped with a smidge of shredded cheddar and chopped green onion. Not bad.

Overall, it's OK but every item is too portion controlled and just short of a full deck. I know that portion control is important but make things look full and everything was just short of that. Is it really that hard to top off the sides and add another pickle or two and a little more meat? Two pickle slices when you need three for full coverage is not going to bust the joint - Jeezzz...

Also received two gift certs. expiring in two weeks for a free 1/4 plate with purchase of a drink which costs $2.50 and is the only size available. Will have to try the sausages, ham, and chicken plus the other sides. I'm sure we'll be way over it by then. But, it's nice to know that one can always drop in and get a quick fix when needed.

I wish the franchisee all the luck in the world and hope they survive but, I have my doubts. The anchor tenant is 24 Hour fitness, they moved into the failed Quizno's spot and Ralph's supermarket, the other anchor tenant, moved out only to be replaced with a Persian themed market...

Good luck folks! I wish you all the best...:pray:

If you consider McDonalds to be an acceptable burger, you'd probably be ok with Dickeys.

That's a pretty good assessment. They first started here in Dallas and my company seems to like getting catering from them (because it's cheap) and it's nothing special. I'd rather eat a sammich at home than spend money on Dickey's. It's tasteless corporate BBQ.

Stopped by My Local Dickies today to give it another shot ... Its been over a year since my last visit .

Ordered the Brisket Sanwich and Onion tanglers ....

90% of the sandwich was super salty bark and the rest fatty mush topped on a cold bun.

I ate a few tanglers but they were a soggy greasy mess .

I guess the Big Yellow Cup full of Coke was the highlight .

I may go back to try the sausage but it may be another year from now.

Yea it's not worth stopping at the one we have here. But some people haven't had the likes of a Coopers or Salt Lick and think Dickey's is good Q...

Back