Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread

2 C. cornmeal
½ C. flour, sifted
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 C. buttermilk (or milk)
2 Tbl. vegetable oil

Set oven to 450°F. Put oil in a #8 (10") cast iron skillet and place in oven until set temperature reached. Mix together dry ingredients, and set aside. Whisk together egg and buttermilk, and mix with dry ingredients, adding wet to dry, until just combined. Carefully remove skillet from oven, pour hot oil into batter, and stir to mix. Pour batter into skillet, return to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Cornbread should be browned on top, and pulling away from sides of skillet. A toothpick stuck in the center should come out clean. Remove and allow to cool a few minutes before turning out onto a plate for slicing. Serve with butter or honey.

This is a basic cast iron cornbread recipe. There are several others with variations of ingredients, but all should include oiling and preheating of the cast iron pan, and most the step of adding hot oil to batter right before baking

I make my own every now and then, but I like Jiffy with jalapenos too to eat normally, and then Jiffy with corn or onion added in the batter. I add these to the bowl before I add chili or soup and mix it in to thicken it up.

I cook for a week or two at a time, so I don't mix corn starch in chili and soup and leave them a little loose after reducing for several hours, so they don't harden up when reheated, and the cornbread mix soaks up the extra flavor as well.

I do make my own fried cornbread, aka hushpuppies, my grandma and great aunt taught me their old family recipe:

-2 parts sifted corn meal
-1 part sifted flour
-1 egg
-chopped yellow, white, or Vidalia onion
-chopped green onions
-cup of milk (add slowly to thicken)
-(Uncles contribution) add natural light until thinned out and right consistency
-half to palm full of sugar
-2 palm full of salt
-half to a palm of pepper (I like full palm since I like pepper)
-let sit an hour or two before cooking
-scope out with teaspoon dipped in water out of the bowl and into 350-375F oil (preferably lard)
-tap to turn over once brown on one side
-dry on paper towel covered natural light carboard flat
-place flat in cooler with other food until ready to serve with fried mullet, swamp cabbage, baked beans with bacon, fries, and frozen store bought 7-layer chocolate cake and homemade strawberry whipped cream pound cake for dessert.

Martha White mix- white corn. Just follow the label. Heated oil in the skillet while you mix up the other ingredients.... if the oil is JUST about smoking- it's right. Poured into the mixing bowl, it should sizzle- and sizzle again as you pour it all back into the skillet from the bowl... starts making that bottom crust right away.

Skillet size is key... too small and the bread is too tall. Too big a pan and the bread is too thin.

Tried the Jiffy one a few times, good but lacks something I think. I'll be trying some of these for sure.

Patricia Cussen's Cornbread.

Years ago I printed this recipe on heavy card stack and gave away with Christmas cards. At the bottom I printed, 'As printed from the New York Times'.

Patricia called me up and asked, 'Really?'

¾ cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp. Baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter or shortening

Cook in 8 inch pan at 425 for 20 minutes.
Can also preheat and coat with melted butter in a cast iron pan and pour into pan to cook.

YOUR oven is never the same as another's -
general advice is to shorten time and watch.
This recipe is for a somewhat sweet bread.
It may brown more and faster than expected.

It goes great with Chili or gumbo - and butter, of course.

I used to use Aunt Jemima's self-rising white cornmeal mix as my first choice. Now that they are woke I've changed to the Martha White version.

~ 4-5 TBSP shortening, oil, or bacon grease
~ 2 cups of white cornmeal mix
~ 1 1/2 - 2 cups Buttermilk
A goodly pinch or dash of salt plus whatever extras you like

Mix all ingredients together using enough Buttermilk to get to the desired consistency.
Meanwhile take a well seasoned 9-10" cast iron or steel skillet and heat it in a 425D F oven until the oil is just about smoking
Make sure the skillet is well greased and then pour about 3/4 of the oil into the batter
Stir the oil into the batter and pour it into the skillet - it should sizzle a lot
Cook for ~20-25 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean

This is the recipe Mom used and is a condensed version of the recipe on the cornmeal mix package
This big things are to use the white cornmeal mix as it seems to cook up a bit moister than the yellow version and to use only buttermilk and omit the egg and sugar
This recipe cooks up with a particularly brown crispy crust that I love

As you can see the measurements given are approximate as it's normally cooked by sight measure

ETA - I don't know why but sometimes it may require a trip under the broiler to get the top browned to your satisfaction

Last edited:
Surprised at the amount of love here for Jiffy.. It is convenient and so easy, but sweet.

I am reminded of that scene in My Cousin Vinny about grits:

Vinny Gambini : Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?

Mr. Tipton : Just regular, I guess.

Vinny Gambini : Regular. Instant grits?

Mr. Tipton : No self-respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9AqbDtSFNU

I don't chunk stones at the Jiffy makers- if you like a sweeter corn bread, it's a good option.

Most people like what they ate growing up- we didn't have sweet cornbread- and I never developed a taste for it.

Back