Not my Grandma- Corn bread

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
"grandma always said if it has sugar it is corn cake. without sugar it is corn bread,, made the same way one has sugar one dosen't"

Growing up Mom would cook corn bread with and without sugar. I preferred without, although I don't remember my input nor critique being sought.

Recipe below mentioned sifting shortening??

Last edited:
I was probably in my mid 20's the first time I had sweet cornbread. It was "ok" but it sure was not what I was used to. I have made sweetened Mexican type cornbread to go with Chili Colorado or Pozole or Carne Guisada. But still prefer the type I grew up eating in 'Bama as a kid- with yellow or white cornmeal -whatever we had. "Picky" was for other folks...still sorta is.

Think I'll whip up a small skillet today... she's the one on a diet.

"grandma always said if it has sugar it is corn cake. without sugar it is corn bread,, made the same way one has sugar one dosen't"

Growing up Mom would cook corn bread with and without sugar. I preferred without, although I don't remember my input nor critique being sought.

Recipe below mentioned sifting shortening??

A bit of sugar actually helps develop that nice golden color. Don't need much. I'm sure the sifting note was a typo.

I use the jiffy box. I cut the milk ta half and add a mini can of creamed corn. It's pretty alright...48¢ a box.
I've added sugar, I've added no sugar....I think I just lack a sophisticated palette.

-D

I use the jiffy box. I cut the milk ta half and add a mini can of creamed corn. It's pretty alright...48¢ a box.
I've added sugar, I've added no sugar....I think I just lack a sophisticated palette.

-D

Jiffy already has more sugar than cornBread should have.:tape:
The cream corn is a good addition.

If cornbread is made around here, it’s only jiffy with diced jalapeños in it…

LAWD that sounds good now

So what is the verdict on adding creamed corn, cake or bread? I made some tonight that had creamed corn because that is what my wife likes. She called it bread so no disagreement from me!

P.s. the recipe for corn pudding in the Praise the Lard cookbook is very good!

Whatever oil you use...heat it as you are preheating that CI skillet- and let it get HOT. When you pour that hot oil into the batter, if it doesn't sizzle...it might turn out ok- but it will not be great. Mamma said- mamma was right.

The recipe I have used for decades calls for 1 TB of sugar - that Army Corn Bread recipe calls for 1/4 cup which is four times as much. Seems like way too much to me.

I like the Jiffy box as it comes. If that's "sweet" then so be it. Cornbread is a required side for chili even here in New England. I put Jalapenos in my chili, but not in the cornbread.

Back