Cooking structure for contest with High Heat.

Well brother.. I never claimed to know everything :rolleyes:

Seems like I could learn a lot from you, as I have not seen this pulled off successfully with shoulder.

Pork loin yes, shoulder no.

Questions:

Do you have to be real selective in the meat you pick to put in the box, due to the amount of fat left? or does your method render all that down like my low & slow method does?

For how long at 300-325?

Butts go on at 5am, off 10 to 11. Fat rendering is good, maybe a little more gack than 12 hrs at 225, but nothing objectionable. I find I get a moister product hot and fast.

What if you semi parted the butt without completely cutting it into two separate section per kcbs rules.
Dave
Do a search on Candy Sue's butterfly technique for pork. It's more like a 3 piece cut. If you can hit the temp right on the money muscle and pull it then it looks great and slices great but won't pill. And for the record if you cook 2 butts to different temps for turn in you can part the money muscle on one before turn in and keep it hot outside the cooker and put the other piece back on so long as you don't use that part for turn in. So you can get the meat cooked for pulling by the end of turn in. Hope that makes sense. I know people are saying what do I do with this piece so it will pull later, well that's the answer.

Do a search on Candy Sue's butterfly technique for pork. It's more like a 3 piece cut. If you can hit the temp right on the money muscle and pull it then it looks great and slices great but won't pill. And for the record if you cook 2 butts to different temps for turn in you can part the money muscle on one before turn in and keep it hot outside the cooker and put the other piece back on so long as you don't use that part for turn in. So you can get the meat cooked for pulling by the end of turn in. Hope that makes sense. I know people are saying what do I do with this piece so it will pull later, well that's the answer.

Thanks Ford I was just thinking along these same lines at work last night and think it sounds like a good way to go sense I usually do two butt anyway at a contest.
Dave

so ford, you're saying i can pull one butt at when the MM is at 190, cut it off, and return that butt to the cooker to finish cooking and still use that Butt to pull and turn in, i'm not trying to start a debate, or a war of words, so i'd just like to clarify this.

so ford, you're saying i can pull one butt at when the MM is at 190, cut it off, and return that butt to the cooker to finish cooking and still use that Butt to pull and turn in, i'm not trying to start a debate, or a war of words, so i'd just like to clarify this.

Turning in the butt that was parted and put back on the smoker is a violation. I am guessing Ford was referring to pulling it after turn-ins in case you want to take it home or give it away, not wasting 90% of the butt.

...and put the other piece back on so long as you don't use that part for turn in.

Here is the key part of what Ford said (emphasis is mine). He is suggesting putting the rest of that butt back in to finish cooking just so it is done when you leave the comp site.

Personally I would just take the rest of that butt and stick it in a cooler and finish it later just to avoid someone misinterpreting what i am doing.

Here is the key part of what Ford said (emphasis is mine). He is suggesting putting the rest of that butt back in to finish cooking just so it is done when you leave the comp site.

Personally I would just take the rest of that butt and stick it in a cooler and finish it later just to avoid someone misinterpreting what i am doing.

I agree Ron. You never know who might be watching your site (see shigging). And I sure ddon't want the hassle of explaining myself to a Rep, when I am trying to concentrate on my turn-ins...

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
When Chad and I cooked on his Kingfisher (stick burner), we cooked in the mid-300's for the Butts and Briskets.
Butts and Briskets both always came out just fine.
We had them off and into a hot box by 7AM or so and turned the heat down to upper 200's for ribs and chicken.
Worked wonderful.

TIM

Back