Best heat resistant gloves for wrangling a stick burner...?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hello all!!

I've been watching lots of BBQ videos of late....and especially those involving fire box management...

I see people re-arranging wood, putting new sticks in, etc....

And I see a variety of hand adornment being used....

For the past few years, I've been mostly using my BGE....and I just have been using stock welding gloves I got at Lowe's.

They've worked good enough...especialy with HIGH temp cooks like when I use my carbon steel big wok on there at 900F....

But they are bulky and not suited for more precision movements....

So, do ya'll have some preferences of gloves that are a combination of higher heat resistance plus dexterity ?

Please post links.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I bought these Grill Armor BBQ gloves off amazon. They say they're good to 932 degrees, though I haven't tried picking up coals or burning logs with them, they do well with everything else I've tried. I'm not sure I'd want to try them on your wok at 900 though.

I use something similar to PitRow posted, but mine are by RAPICCA brand (probably same OEM), but I got the long ones and they fit snug on my forearms, needing two hands to take on and off, which I do not care for so much, since sometimes I want to shake off the glove and mop my food or navigate a temp probe or something that needs more finesse than the 1.5" diameter per finger bulk of a high heat glove. I use them for placing sheet pans and racks I use to cook on, foil wrapping ribs, butcher paper wrapping briskets, etc. I have used these to pull the firebox partially out and add more charcoal to my LSG Large IVS on occasion, and they did ok. I do notice that they aren't as comfortable at high heat, as I noticed a lot of heat coming on quick, and some slight melting/disforming when trying to remove ceramic plates from my old Saffire kamado so I could reverse sear something after smoking.

For the fire and firebox movements, I use the new splits I'm adding to move around if just a little arrangement is needed and heat is not too intense, otherwise I use these firewood tongs that keep we well away from the heat and fire of my offset and Solostove firepit:

https://campfiretongs.com/shop/log-turner/original-campfire-tongs/

I keep welding gloves with my barbecue stuff but i don't really use them to manage a fire in my offset. Usually i can place a split on the coals without my hand getting too hot. If i need to fine tune anything a shovel works great.

I have welding gloves as well. I think with 14" sleeves. They are handy dandy.

I bought some cheap welding gloves at harbor freight, a fireplace poker, and a grill shovel when I first bought my offset but have found all I really use any more are cheap 16" metal tongs to move things around in the firebox. Haven't burned myself...yet.

I cant remember the tong brand (other than they were cheap) but, it was something like: https://www.amazon.com/HOTEC-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Tongs/dp/B0B6PFD3N7/ref=sr_1_7?crid=KLWIIV9IT5GK&keywords=16%22+metal+tongs&qid=1686804353&sprefix=16+metal+tongs%2Caps%2C277&sr=8-7

Lincoln Welding Gloves and the Fire Poker that came with my Shirley Fabrication Cooker work for me.

I also use welders Gloves, Don't get grilling gloves (Camp Chief type) I got some for Christmas one year and they are thinner than welding gloves
I also have a poker and tongs for moving burning logs around

I'm not big on gloves- especially if you can't slide them on/off easily. Heat resistance and ease of donning are more important than "dexterity".

I have a cheap pair of 16" ss tongs and a manly sized oven mitt with a decent length cuff.

Back