Direct Heat Cooker

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Along with my offset and Weber kettle -going to have a direct heat cooker built to add to my collection. Cook space is 24 x 20 - has two grate levels - and can be set up to cook multiple ways -

Can move the fire basket to the second level and use as a charcoal grill for steaks,burgers, etc. Can set the fire basket down on the base level - and do direct heat cook on either either the 2nd level (18 inches above base) or the top level (25 inches above base). Can also remove the 2nd level grates and put in the heat deflector for low and slow indirect cooking - almost like a vertical smoker

Any ideas or help on the direct heat side would be appreciated - hoping to do direct heat pork steaks, pork ribs, chicken and anything else the brethren might suggest that would be good 18 to 25 inches above the direct heat

I have a feeling you've seen them but Chud's bbq has alot of good info on cooking direct heat. Between him and going to Snow's i think a direct heat cooker is in my future as well.

I have a feeling you've seen them but Chud's bbq has alot of good info on cooking direct heat. Between him and going to Snow's i think a direct heat cooker is in my future as well.

Yes - Chud has put out some pretty good content on direct heat cooking - and I assume he will continue to do so in order to market his new chud box

Have a shoulder clod that I need to cook in the near future - i think smittys down in Lockhart cooks there clods hot and fast - can anyone confirm that rumor ?

Except for your size requirement/preference, a drum smoker can be setup to cook a very similar way.

But I think you should go for it and have it fabricated to your specs. Or buy a Chud box!

Yes - Chud has put out some pretty good content on direct heat cooking - and I assume he will continue to do so in order to market his new chud box

Have a shoulder clod that I need to cook in the near future - i think smittys down in Lockhart cooks there clods hot and fast - can anyone confirm that rumor ?

I still have a second clod in the freezer. May grind some of it....just ta see.

-D

Except for your size requirement/preference, a drum smoker can be setup to cook a very similar way.

But I think you should go for it and have it fabricated to your specs. Or buy a Chud box!

https://www.royalebbqfabrication.com/cookers

Local guys in the Dallas/Fort worth metroplex - they have been great to work with - father and son duo - pretty versatile cooker - can set up for high heat grilling, direct heat cooking and offset cooking - has two grate levels - top grate is 25 inches and bottom grate is 18 inches. Also comes with a deflector plate that you can put on bottom shelf and run like a vertical offset - should have in a few weeks and will post picture

I like the design. They also have a 36x20 that’s a little more money but way more versatile.

Looked at the bigger one as well - but I also have a 94 gallon offset and my weber kettle table - so figured the smaller unit would work best for me. But the larger unit does give you a bigger footprint - might be able to get a 30-40 pound hog on their bigger unit

Already pressing my luck with the boss/wife putting another cooker out on our patio - so for me the smaller the better 😀

Did you consider a Santa Maria instead?

I did not - was looking for something with a lid - fire about 20-24 inches from heat source - mainly to cook pork steaks, chicken, ribs over direct heat - like Snows BBQ

This unit checked all my boxes - but also gave me the option of using for indirect smoking if I put the deflector plate in. I have an offset that I will continue to use for most of my low and slow cooking - but during the summer when it’s 100 plus here in Dallas - I may use this unit instead.

what is the benefit of this over indirect? i have something similar that a brethren built me years ago, i always use the deflector when smoking tho

I haven’t cooked on one yet - but my understanding is the added flavor you get from cooking over direct heat/flames - and the fat dripping on the coals - Chud has some direct heat cooking content on his channel - and it’s my understanding this is how Snows does their pork steaks, ribs and chicken

I recently posted photos from a trip home a few weeks ago, here
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304115

My buddy has a finer grate on top of his, which I think makes cooking small stuff easier, like shrimp. So, maybe consider a variety of cooking surfaces to place in both the upper and lower positons.

He also enjoys hid lid. The pipe is 24" in diameter.

Attachments

• 20230330_190538.jpg
    20230330_190538.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7850(1).jpg
    IMG_7850(1).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 135
Back