Charcoal sales - B&B briquets vs. Cowboy

Charny

Knows what a fatty is.
I recently picked up a 22" WSM and need to lay in a supply of charcoal while the sales are on - limited as they are. I'd appreciate opinions on the following options (any I'm missing?):

For free shipping at $35 (not in my local store):
Walmart has B&B Charcoal 17.6 lb All-Natural Oak Charcoal Briquets, $9.97 for 17.6 lbs ($.57/lbs)

Walmart has Cowboy Hardwood Charcoal Briquets, 20 Pounds Each for $17.92 ($.45/lbs)
(the price on that one sometimes changes in my cart and tries to go up to $27.59. That is very frustrating BS - I was about to place an order this AM). And hopefully not too busted from shipping.

Costco:
I tried Kingsford Pro in my kettle. It's good - low ash, but burns a bit quick. The Costco sale goes through Jul 2 and is 2X 18 lbs bags for 24.69, minus $6.20 = $18.49. That's $.514/lbs.

"Cowboy Oak and Hickory" lump, 34 lbs, for $26. That's .764. A bit pricey, but it is not on sale.

Royal oak is an option, but my past experience is it makes a lot of ash that clogs grates.

Some prefer the B&B, others say it stinks. I also read duraflame bought them a couple years back, so maybe it has changed. Most say they prefer the consistency of briquettes in the WSM, while a few prefer the cleaner flavor of lump.

I know many swear by the KBB. Local sales aren't any less expensive than the KP.

The cowboy briqs look like the sweet spot.

Thanks!

This is the price change. When I had charcoal in my cart and came back the next day, the price increased from $18.52 to $27.59. And when I viewed the item, it would only show me the higher price.

I had to start a different browser to get the old price. This behavior repeated. The ole 'try and get the sucker to pay more'. "Oh? Dd I say $18.52? I don't think I did! I was sure I said the price was $27.59!"

Attachments

• walmart.cowbow.low.jpg
    walmart.cowbow.low.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 100
  • walmart.cowbow.hi.jpg
    walmart.cowbow.hi.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 100
i prefer the B&B the one place in central ohio(the center of the known bbq univers) rural king is completly out of it there answer the home office dose the ordering therfore a bad answer is better than no answer at all

Back