Anybody heard of B&B lump charcoal?

bonehead762

Full Fledged Farker
My local Ace Hardware has this B&B Better Burning Lump Charcoal (among others) for sale. I've never heard of it. Is it any good?

What say ye?

Here's a pic of the bag...

Attachments

• 7cbc7f07-b6ae-4c67-b892-2f31ec314448.jpg
    7cbc7f07-b6ae-4c67-b892-2f31ec314448.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 423
I've used the oak and hickory quite a bit, and the mesquite a couple times. There were a couple bags of the oak that seemed to spark and pop a lot more than others - that's the only negative I've ever experienced with it.

I bought a bag last year. Yes, in Australia. It was very very expensive (obviously) and I found it quite poor in performance. Certainly not worth the coin compared to plain old stick and branch charcoal that comes in from Indonesia. Performance was probably worse.

Try the yellow bag mesquite for beef. Mesquite charcoal is waaaay different than mesquite flavor chunks.

S5rl3JE.jpg

The mesquite is excellent. Works very well in the Santa Maria. It's terrible in the IVS and I place every piece by hand when loading it. I have yet ta enjoy a cook in the IVS with B&B lump of any type...char logs being the worst and making me murderous in personality.

-D

Here is a link to Whiz review

https://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag158.htm

I remember when bags said the type of wood, then there were two bags, now blend is what I see. I've used a truckload or two of B&B, really like those bags before blend. I have a few bags of various blends. I've not bought any in a couple years. Everything changes it seems. I love trying new to me and once upon a time coals
I'll revisit B&B, someday

My Local ACE carries B&B. I at one time tried the oak, hickory and mesquite. For daily lump, oak is my choice. I like mesquite in general, but I almost prefer the El Diablo brand, which gets meh reviews, but I have had great luck with it.

Their briquettes are great as well, but there's a premium there.

B&B is top notch. That green bag is by far the best charcoal I’ve burned and what I use exclusively. Hardly any sparks and burns stupid hot with low ash. I love anything B&B and have tried most all of their offerings and never have been dissatisfied. Get their red char logs in the red 30lb bags also if available. Those are my two go to’s almost all the time.

https://www.bbcharcoal.com/about

B&B was my go to after Ozark Oak departed. However I've never been a one brand kind of cooker. Those 10# bags (8# mesquite) of lump were awesome. I know I have the char logs and a green bag, not sure what else I came through winter with that says B&B. I also have B&B pellets. They're good too

I don’t use lump much. B&B briquettes and char logs are my go to fuel for the kettle grill. It burns clean and consistent.

So walked out to her She-Shed where fuel goes as well as a garage wall. I spied 2 Bags B&B Hickory Lump, one bag Char Logs. There were several bags of B&B wood chips, all in her She-Shed.
In the Garage there are B&B Splits, chips and B&B Pellets. Multiple other brands of briquettes, lump and pellets too in both locations. I could run a while, a long while on what I have.

I burn a lot of B&B. Briqs in my gravity smoker and oak and hickory lump in my kettles. Performs decent, and price is pretty reasonable. However I'll agree with others that the oak lump pops and sparks worse than most lump. I too like the the mesquite lump, when I can get it...but for some reason my local Academy stores don't stock it very often.

Red

Back