Expanded charcoal selection at WalMart

OzarkRebel

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
John
At my local Walmart, there is a new expanded selection of charcoal in both lump and briquettes. The new brands that I have not seen in WM before include BluesHog, Jealous Devil, and Cowboy. This is in addition to the other brands that they have always carried, such as Kingsford, Royal Oak and Expert Grill. I was mostly surprised that the entire charcoal department was fully stocked:shock:. I must have visited right after they unloaded a truck. I didn't really need any extra lump or briqs, but I couldn't pass up a 2x20lb pack of Cowboy Briquettes for $17.98. I have heard others say good things about the CB Briquettes, as opposed to their Lump which generally gets bad reviews.

Thanks, I will keep a lookout for those newer items. I hope it isn't just a test market for the home area and that the selection is rolled everywhere.

At my local Walmart, there is a new expanded selection of charcoal in both lump and briquettes. The new brands that I have not seen in WM before include BluesHog, Jealous Devil, and Cowboy. This is in addition to the other brands that they have always carried, such as Kingsford, Royal Oak and Expert Grill. I was mostly surprised that the entire charcoal department was fully stocked:shock:. I must have visited right after they unloaded a truck. I didn't really need any extra lump or briqs, but I couldn't pass up a 2x20lb pack of Cowboy Briquettes for $17.98. I have heard others say good things about the CB Briquettes, as opposed to their Lump which generally gets bad reviews.

Which town is the store located? Might be close to me. I tried Jealous Devil and Blues hog Briquettes and would be interested in buying more of both.

Thanks,

Robert

Which town is the store located? Might be close to me. I tried Jealous Devil and Blues hog Briquettes and would be interested in buying more of both.

Thanks,

Robert

It was at the Bryant WalMart, in central AR.

Thanks, I will keep a lookout for those newer items. I hope it isn't just a test market for the home area and that the selection is rolled everywhere.

Same selection here in Massachusetts. I stuck with my usual Royal Oak lump but may go back and give the Blues Hog a try.

Hmm... Looks like my local store has Blues Hog lump as well, same price as Royal Oak. May try a bag.

That is interesting. I like Blues Hog charcoal and I have heard many good things about Jealous Devil.

Noticed the same thing at my Walmart here in Maryland the other day. Been trying to figure out the best way to maximize cost efficiency. I use a UDS and while I prefer lump, haven't noticed much difference from KBB to justify the cost difference, especially when KBB is always on sale.

I grabbed a 2 pack of the Cowboy Briqs, but am very interested in the Jealous Devil or Blues Hog. Ideally I'd like to find something I can extinguish and re-light for a later cook, or that is cheap enough I don't have to worry about filling up the basket and going unused.

Biggest complaint about KBB is the amount of ash it produces and nasty smoke until it gets hot. But once hot and going, not much difference between it and lump.

My lowes used to sell Stubbs a few years ago and I really liked that. It was best of both words. Haven't been able to find it for a while though.

FYI....this was posted on a forum a couple of years ago:

Someone wrote an email to the manufacturer, and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting us. Lowe’s and some other retailers are currently transitioning from Stubb’s to our Cowboy Hardwood Briquets. The hardwood briquets are the same, just with different branding. This change was made to consolidate to a unified brand offering at Lowe’s.
Aside from Lowe’s, you can also find the Cowboy Hardwood Briquets at Kroger, True Value, and other grocery stores.
Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood, just like the Stubb’s briquets that you currently use. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. You can find them here on our website.
I hope this information was helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Thank you,
Consumer Affairs
Cowboy Charcoal, LLC"

FYI....this was posted on a forum a couple of years ago:

Someone wrote an email to the manufacturer, and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting us. Lowe’s and some other retailers are currently transitioning from Stubb’s to our Cowboy Hardwood Briquets. The hardwood briquets are the same, just with different branding. This change was made to consolidate to a unified brand offering at Lowe’s.
Aside from Lowe’s, you can also find the Cowboy Hardwood Briquets at Kroger, True Value, and other grocery stores.
Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood, just like the Stubb’s briquets that you currently use. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. You can find them here on our website.
I hope this information was helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Thank you,
Consumer Affairs
Cowboy Charcoal, LLC"

Thanks for the info. I picked up a 2 pk 20lb or so of Cowboy at Walmart this week for like $17. If it is in fact the same as Stubbs I'll be happy. Can't beat that price for the quality of briqs.

Will update after a cook or two.

My lowes used to sell Stubbs a few years ago and I really liked that. It was best of both words. Haven't been able to find it for a while though.

Here is a thread discussing that subject. Apparently the Cowboy Briquettes are the same as the discontinued Stubbs product.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272233

I had never used Stubbs when it was available, but I had read mostly good reviews of it. That is why I picked up the two pack of Cowboy to try.

***Sorry for the double post of information. Someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
My Walmart had the same :clap:

Attachments

• IMG_20230201_132835719.jpg
    IMG_20230201_132835719.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 89
Pu 5 bags of Ridge at Lowe’s for $5.07 a bag will give it a go this weekend, 16lb bags it was hard to pass up

Back