THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Process Thread: capicola project

After almost 2 months of drying, it was time to see what I made. Worked out well because we ended up having my sons bday party yesterday.

It finally made...or lost...enough weight
52743909601_1d049884e0_b.jpg

Unbagged, not the most appetizing looking hunk o meat out there :D
52744328200_b7bb752a1b_b.jpg

The center cut...my goodness it looks absolutely amazing!
52743395147_1c33a09da8_b.jpg

Slicer in action. Finally the main reason I bought this thing; quick work and thin slices! It did great
52743395142_6b1818bf7d_b.jpg

Super thin slice
52744161804_dcac080fc3_b.jpg

Untitled by Adam Mongiovi, on Flickr

our yield. We did some math and comparing it to boars head capicola at our local store, this is roughly worth $53 worth of meat. Not to shabby, considering it came from a $12 Boston butt, of which the rest was made in to polish and Italian sausage.
52744401948_941cb57b5e_b.jpg

DEFINITELY doing this again, but with my new drying chamber :) Probably without the paprika on the outside next time. Thanks for looking!!!

Looks good! I just hung 3 coppas in my chamber last night. It's a long wait!

Thanks Suds! I saw your post earlier and looking forward to the results! I think next is lonzino...cheap cut of meat I already have so I won't cry if/when I ruin it lol.

You sir are a genius. Now you need to make Mortadela and you'll be set. A nice loaf of ciabatta bread, some cheese and the meats and you would be in food heaven.

I have the ole amazon special BESWOOD 10" slicer
Amazon BESWOOD Slicer

Don't tempt me with a good time! I love mortadella also. I need to source pork fat somewhere.

I made some a year ago and just could not get over the cold greasy feel of the fat. I didn't have slicer then, so my slices were a little thick maybe.
Stop into your local butcher and he'll give a bag of pure white piggy fat for a smile.

Ed

This looks absolutely amazing! Gonna have to steal the recipe, did you post it somewhere?

I have meat in the fridge curing to become coppa. Another week to go, then into my dry ager fridge for a couple of months.

This looks absolutely amazing! Gonna have to steal the recipe, did you post it somewhere?

I have meat in the fridge curing to become coppa. Another week to go, then into my dry ager fridge for a couple of months.

I can surely share!

I believe I followed Umai's recipe fairly closely. I added paprika after the cure and before the drying, which I will probably skip next time.

MATH METHOD: MAKE YOUR OWN SPICE BLEND

• Kosher Salt 3% to weight of meat
  • #2 Curing Salt 0.25% to weight of meat
  • Juniper berries, crushed 1 tbsp (4g)
  • Sugar 2 tbsp (30g)
  • Black pepper, coarsely ground 2 tbsp (4g)
  • Bay leaves, crumbled 2 (2g)
  • Freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp (1g) (I just used nutmeg powder, as it was on hand.
  • Garlic, minced 2 cloves

Back