Capicola Project: COMPLETE!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Process Thread: capicola project

After almost 2 months of drying, it was time to see what I made. Worked out well because we ended up having my sons bday party yesterday.

It finally made...or lost...enough weight
52743909601_1d049884e0_b.jpg

Unbagged, not the most appetizing looking hunk o meat out there :D
52744328200_b7bb752a1b_b.jpg

The center cut...my goodness it looks absolutely amazing!
52743395147_1c33a09da8_b.jpg

Slicer in action. Finally the main reason I bought this thing; quick work and thin slices! It did great
52743395142_6b1818bf7d_b.jpg

Super thin slice
52744161804_dcac080fc3_b.jpg

Untitled by Adam Mongiovi, on Flickr

our yield. We did some math and comparing it to boars head capicola at our local store, this is roughly worth $53 worth of meat. Not to shabby, considering it came from a $12 Boston butt, of which the rest was made in to polish and Italian sausage.
52744401948_941cb57b5e_b.jpg

DEFINITELY doing this again, but with my new drying chamber :) Probably without the paprika on the outside next time. Thanks for looking!!!

Looks good! I just hung 3 coppas in my chamber last night. It's a long wait!

Thanks Suds! I saw your post earlier and looking forward to the results! I think next is lonzino...cheap cut of meat I already have so I won't cry if/when I ruin it lol.

You sir are a genius. Now you need to make Mortadela and you'll be set. A nice loaf of ciabatta bread, some cheese and the meats and you would be in food heaven.

I have the ole amazon special BESWOOD 10" slicer
Amazon BESWOOD Slicer

Don't tempt me with a good time! I love mortadella also. I need to source pork fat somewhere.

I made some a year ago and just could not get over the cold greasy feel of the fat. I didn't have slicer then, so my slices were a little thick maybe.
Stop into your local butcher and he'll give a bag of pure white piggy fat for a smile.

Ed

This looks absolutely amazing! Gonna have to steal the recipe, did you post it somewhere?

I have meat in the fridge curing to become coppa. Another week to go, then into my dry ager fridge for a couple of months.

This looks absolutely amazing! Gonna have to steal the recipe, did you post it somewhere?

I have meat in the fridge curing to become coppa. Another week to go, then into my dry ager fridge for a couple of months.

I can surely share!

I believe I followed Umai's recipe fairly closely. I added paprika after the cure and before the drying, which I will probably skip next time.

MATH METHOD: MAKE YOUR OWN SPICE BLEND

• Kosher Salt 3% to weight of meat
  • #2 Curing Salt 0.25% to weight of meat
  • Juniper berries, crushed 1 tbsp (4g)
  • Sugar 2 tbsp (30g)
  • Black pepper, coarsely ground 2 tbsp (4g)
  • Bay leaves, crumbled 2 (2g)
  • Freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp (1g) (I just used nutmeg powder, as it was on hand.
  • Garlic, minced 2 cloves

Back