Genoa Salami Project

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Well, my molds and starter cultures FINALLY came in, so this weekend I tried my hand at Genoa Salami.

This was roughly a 5lb batch. I had 2lbs beef, 2lbs pork and 1lb pork belly fat. I really tried to focus on keeping the meat cold (like 34F cold) the entire time. Ground the pork and fat on a 10mm die, and the beef on a smaller die (4.5mm?)

Side note, I had a new auger and blade, and STILL had oxidation sludge on the auger screw...worse than the ones before. So I don't know, I guess it's just a think that exists...

Okay on to mixing...I weighed and mixed all my ingredients together, as well as starter culture. The plan WAS to use our KitchenAid with the paddle attachment. However, our model (the Artisan Series), only has a 5Qt bowl. The meat Fit...all the way to the brim. There was no room for the attachment or mixing for that matter. So, sadly, I need to look at other alternatives for mixing. The fallback was to mix by hand and I did...and it was cold :wink:

Stuffing was easy...I used protein lined fibrous casings, let them soak while I was loading the stuffer, and stuffed TIGHT. Ended up getting 3...2 at 12" and one shorter. The picture below is me painting on my Mold 800 after pricking the casings for air pockets. Also a test chub for pH later

53403017079_975e579a6e_b.jpg

Next I fermented them in my oven (OFF) and in a giant ziplock bag. The combo met my heat and humidity benchmarks. After 18 Hours, I was around 4.9-5.0pH level

53402881838_75a52043c9_b.jpg

From the oven to the drying chamber. I am running at 55F and 76%RH and my averages are showing that. Looking for 35-40& weight loss.

53406195868_837bdf958f_b.jpg

Will post updates as they come. See you in a few months!

Well done Adam! The fermentation process is not typically done here so I'm interested to see how this all works out. Nice to see your drying chamber in operation too. I always wanted to make one but in the end settled for just hanging my copocollo in the shed for just the right months of the year.

Question: why are you going for ?40% weight loss. About 30-35% should be fine?

Cheers!

Bill

If your oven was off, presumably the inside of it would be room temperature, so how is that different from just fermenting in the bag on the counter, as an example? I was considering trying sous vide method for fermentation the next time I made salami.

Question: why are you going for ?40% weight loss. About 30-35% should be fine?

Cheers!

Bill

I'll be honest, it's almost certainly getting pulled at 35%....I have no patience! :laugh:. From my understanding 35-40% is the norm, but I'll be periodically checking and once it gets to that 30% range, I will test firmness, etc.

If your oven was off, presumably the inside of it would be room temperature, so how is that different from just fermenting in the bag on the counter, as an example? I was considering trying sous vide method for fermentation the next time I made salami.

I didn't really need the oven at all TBH, but it did 2 things for me:

1. Didn't take up any counter space (we have a double oven and RARELY use the bottom one)
  2. It kept it away from my kids eyes and grubby little hands :)

Week One

One week in. Replaced the little bottle with a 1L bottle in that new humidifier, see how long that lasts. The mold (M 800) seems to really be forming nicely. I will weigh them next week.

Side note, mold is forming on my toe tags which will make it difficult to read them...thankfully I documented the numbers.

PS that thermapro hygrometer is chit....it's always off, so disregard. I may get one of those Govee ones just to have a backup to my HT.w sensor.
53417583947_623556bb49_b.jpg

53418667128_7c5ab58c0f_b.jpg

UPDATE - Dehumidifier stopped working

Dehumidifier died...Ordered a new one (Tuesday delivery); shut off humidifier and going to ride it out for the next 40+ hours :evil:

Not ideal, but cant think of anything else, other than opening the door periodically

Back