THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the Texas end of the journey, coming in through OK City and entering Texas on I-35 is best. The entry via Muskogee would be the next best, and would take you into Texas on HWY 75, which is close to my house, but I don't have a truck. That route also puts you on a lot of rural, two-lane roads in OK.

Entering Texas through Texarkana it the worst route, when it comes to getting to San Antonio.

I would suggest going from Indianapolis to OK City, and then south to San Antonio. That route is ALL Interstate highway. We should have brethren all along that route.

If the stuff comes in through Muskogee, I could probably borrow a truck/SUV and meet someone in Durant, OK, and keep it in Dallas until I can, or someone else can take it to San Antonio. One of my dealer clients will loan me a pre-owned truck or SUV -- whatever they have in stock at the time -- without any serious restrictions. I'm reasonably sure I could get it from the TX-OK border to San Antonio, one way or another.

Texarkana would be a long drive for SmittyJonz, and for me. Coming in from OK is better for the DFW brethren.

CD

Last edited:
I'd like Dan to be able to get his own cookers as that would bring me the most joy if I were in his place. If gas money is holding someone back from helping, because let's face it, gas is expensive. I will be willing to donate money for gas for the cause.

Also I'm sure there is some brethren who is a trucker or owns a freight company who might be able to help out.

I do not know Dan, but clearly he has had an impact on this group. I live in CT so unable to assist in the transport side of things (besides my Audi would not hold much) but if gas money is an issue or if a contribution to a new cooker is the easiest route....count on me

I am certainly in for a donation to get Dan his pits. Logistics may be really difficult trying to do a watermelon line from state to state. What would it cost to get them boxed and shipped on a truck. I know we could come up with enough money for that!

I am certainly in for a donation to get Dan his pits. Logistics may be really difficult trying to do a watermelon line from state to state. What would it cost to get them boxed and shipped on a truck. I know we could come up with enough money for that!

Could be the best bet - Wampus can u check into that? I'd send $ to help with that also.
You Might could setup a PayPal for donations?

If I had to guess, I would think maybe $400?

Wampus, I/we really appreciate you doing this. Dan has been a supportive and fun member on this forum for years. I've never met him yet I really like him and will do whatever I can to help. If you can setup a Paypal account I'm in for a hundred bucks and as I mentioned earlier, I will be happy to make him a custom handle for his egg.

If you guys can get it to the St.Louis area and then someone to get it to my neck of the woods from there, I'm in Sedalia, MO and could take the handoff somewhere tween Sedalia and Columbia, MO it's 2 hours straight south to Springfield, MO from where I live. I could do that either Sunday the 8th or 22nd of Sept. If shipping happens instead I can pitch in some PayPal as well.

Checking into another option....

I have a good friend who hauls freight. He specializes in BIG stuff, like Aircraft Carrier props, oil rigs, etc. I spoke with him this morning and he's sitting at home awaiting another haul job to come in. I told him of this situation and he's getting me a price to haul Dan's pits to San Antonio for us. He said he'd check mileage and call me back. I haven't heard from him yet, which tells me that he's looking into other options for me, knowing him. He may also be trying to lock down a haul from TX back this direction and if THAT happens, which will require him to haul empty down to there to pick up a load, we MAY be able to get this done for VERY cheap.

My thinking is that since there are so many willing to contribute financially, this may be an easier and quicker option.

As soon as I hear back from him I'll let y'all know.

UPDATE!

So I've done some calling around about freight pricing.

My buddy, who would be hauling the gear from my house to Dan's (ROUND TRIP) gave me a quote of about $2,400.00. ($1/mile).

He was the first to say that was high and recommended I contact some other bigger freight companies, which I did as follows:

Conway Freight
$1,109.11 terminal to terminal (terminal is in El Paso)

Fed Ex (who will ONLY do air freight for non-commercial)
$1,796.07 terminal to terminal
$2,036.97 door to door
3rd Day by 3:00 PM delivery

YRC Freight
$773.83 terminal to terminal
Additional $103.75 handling fee to drop off at Dan's house (Total $877.58 )

UPS Freight
$1,046.60 terminal to terminal
Additional flat fee of $107 to drop off at Dan's house (Total $1,153.60)

SO.....sticker shock mod. :twitch:
I've never shipped anything like this so I wasn't prepared for the prices I got.
I'm also a bit surprised with the variation in pricing from one place to another.

FYI:
I'm planning on putting the BSK and Small BGE on a pallet and crating them.
I'm guessing (and have priced accordingly) that the crate will be 48"x42"x60" and will weigh approximately 250 lbs.
I got the shipping weight of both the BGE and the BSK from their websites or from Amazon as a guess, then added a little for "cushion". Of course the crate will actually be weighed at the drop off.

Most of the terminals are on my side of Indianapolis or in outlying areas near me so if we go this route, I plan on crating it and taking it to the terminal for drop off.

I priced these options with a drop off of Monday, Sept 9th.

Anyone out there have other freight connections/options?

With the variation in pricing I got, I'm tempted to keep calling, but as of right now, it looks like YRC is the cheapest option at $877.58.

The OTHER thing to consider (as a point of reference) with all this is that if I drove my F150 down there, it's 1,128 miles. IF I get 14 MPG, that's 80+ gallons, which at $3.50, that's $280. If I drove a round trip, that's $560.

Thoughts?

I was thinking that $900 sounds reasonable, as high as it initially sounds, due to costs and the nature of the shipment.

It might cost you less on fuel but than it will take you a lot more time. I think between the 5000ish active members we could raise 900 by this weekend easy.

One thing you might consider is calling a freight broker and post it as an LTL load I used to make allot of extra in my pocket hauling LTL when I had the room. Try Landstar, Jones motor freight, Malone, Centeral freight, Yellow freight, ABF freight, R&L, or you could sell it all off send the money and he can get a NEW pit.

Is ^^^this^^^ sort of like "Shipping Wars" where people bid on shipments?

...without the idiot drama of course?

LTL=Less Than truckLoad shipping, there are some carriers that will aggregate small shipments into a larger truck load, in many cases, they will then move the load through several loadings, until it reaches it's destination.

The benefit is that the load is not charged fully for the fuel and labor for the majority of the haul. The negative, is that it is handled a little more, and can take a little longer to get someplace.

Back